10-25-14 03:56 PM
64 123
tools
    I do like the navigation buttons on Classic, but I am thinking about waiting for a Q10s (an upgrade of Q10 ).
    Classic is somehow too big when it on hand. I am asian, and I love my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 04:11 AM
    Thank you for the explanation. Would the 293 be noticeably less sharp than the 330?
    No, because the Q10 uses a pentile-matrix AMOLED display: Even though it has 328ppi, the effective pixels per inch rating is lower due to the pentile. You can kinda compare the situation with storage memory, even though the phone does indeed have 16 gigs, the effective memory available for your needs is lower. Pentile-matrix have a different pixel layout, one pixel uses two subpixels, either a large red and a small green or a large blue and a small green one. Red+Green|Blue+Green|Red+Green|Blue+Green and so on. A traditional RGB matrix, like the Classic uses, has three subpixels per pixel, Red, Blue and Green, the subpixels are of the same size. Red+Green+Blue|Red+Green+Blue|Red+Green+Blue and so on.

This is one of the reasons why pentile displays had such a bad reputation: When ppi was (way) below 300, the screen showed quite visible artifacts in certain situations. This is solved today with ppi ratings way above 400. Yet again lets say a 441ppi LCD screen still has more effective pixels than a 441ppi AMOLED pentile screen. Although the difference is much harder to tell than if we would compare two 280ppi displays.

To sum it up: The Classic has almost 50% more subpixels than the Q10. That doesn't translate in a higher ppi rating, but your eyes might still see a sharper image when viewing the Classic screen compared to the Q10. When doing a subpixel per inch the Q10 features 656 while the Classic (even though it has a larger screen) features 872.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    Last edited by Taigatrommel; 10-19-14 at 05:29 AM.
    10-19-14 04:42 AM
    I tend to agree that's it's not an upgrade nor is it really meant to be. That said, what I would normally find shocking (but this is BlackBerry so nothing with this company really shocks me anymore), is that you would call something like this the "Classic" yet not make it available with a removable battery. Is that not the point? The loved BB7 devices, which this is supposedly aimed at reviving in a sense, had a big upside: removable battery amongst other things like the "belt". It was an essential feature of the phone for those on the go. I had two batteries with my 9700, 9900, and Q10 (which, on a side note, I really dislike as a phone). Don't want to make it available with a removable battery? Fine, but don't call it a Classic as though it's the new 9900. If I had not gotten a Q10, I would be a pretty P-O'd user to find that the 9900/Bold replacement didn't come with a removable battery. What I'm trying to say is that if you're going to do it, then just do it. Make it the best attempt at being a Classic. I may be going out on a stretch but it just seems sort of half-baked. We could have, but we didn't. But alas, hasn't this been BBRY's past 5 years?

Posted via CB10
    I don't think removable battery is all that important on this phone. The 9900 had a tiny battery, you needed to carry a spare. This phone will likely last twice as long as the 9900 on a charge. You can buy a charge pack to get you through the unlikely situation where you run low. Since getting my Q10, I have not needed a spare battery, reminds on the 9700 days. I used to think the same way as you, but there are advantages to built in battery.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 09:24 AM
    Thanks for the explanation on the screen difference. Looks like I'm going to have to rethink the Classic then.
    10-19-14 12:44 PM
    still running a 9900, if the Passport wasn't out there my next device would probably be the classic, just because of the larger screen real estate, I still feel the Q10 form factor and design is the best out there, period. This being said, I need to make a real jump forward, after using the same device (9900) for three years, I need to be a little ahead of the curve for a change
    10-21-14 08:11 PM
    No, because the Q10 uses a pentile-matrix AMOLED display: Even though it has 328ppi, the effective pixels per inch rating is lower due to the pentile. You can kinda compare the situation with storage memory, even though the phone does indeed have 16 gigs, the effective memory available for your needs is lower. Pentile-matrix have a different pixel layout, one pixel uses two subpixels, either a large red and a small green or a large blue and a small green one. Red+Green|Blue+Green|Red+Green|Blue+Green and so on. A traditional RGB matrix, like the Classic uses, has three subpixels per pixel, Red, Blue and Green, the subpixels are of the same size. Red+Green+Blue|Red+Green+Blue|Red+Green+Blue and so on.

This is one of the reasons why pentile displays had such a bad reputation: When ppi was (way) below 300, the screen showed quite visible artifacts in certain situations. This is solved today with ppi ratings way above 400. Yet again lets say a 441ppi LCD screen still has more effective pixels than a 441ppi AMOLED pentile screen. Although the difference is much harder to tell than if we would compare two 280ppi displays.

To sum it up: The Classic has almost 50% more subpixels than the Q10. That doesn't translate in a higher ppi rating, but your eyes might still see a sharper image when viewing the Classic screen compared to the Q10. When doing a subpixel per inch the Q10 features 656 while the Classic (even though it has a larger screen) features 872.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    this is all true but i still like my AMOLED .. when LCD's can have infinite contrast i.e blacks are pure then we can talk...
    i do love the power saving features of amoled's when its black and the contrast as well as nokia found a way to make amoled's visible in sunlight its like the sun does not affect it at all or much they also did the same tech with the IPS LCD's and those are awesome i just don't like that LCD's don't show pure black like amoled's Samsung needs to merge the benefits of IPS with Amoleds lol
    10-22-14 05:26 PM
    That explains why my wife's q10 looks so grainy. I think the Classic screen will be finem

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 11:46 PM
    Guys if u ask me I think Q10 scores a 10 as a daily driver. Can't say about the classic but definitely get another Q10 before it is discontinued. That's best for business ! Lol trust me you're gonna miss this device after it disappears from the BlackBerry roster.
    Btw, amoled gives that stealth look in the black q10 while browsing call history. It's so freakin awesome! And that's the reason why I opt for a q and not the classic.
    Posted via CB10
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    10-23-14 03:47 PM
    What do you mean stealth mode when browsing? Most web pages are white.
    10-23-14 04:27 PM
    All things considered, will probably pick up extra Q10 and batteries in Nov / Jan.
    10-23-14 04:56 PM
    What do you mean stealth mode when browsing? Most web pages are white.
    Stealth look while browsing call history. Dunno why most of us are impatient readers. :/

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 12:19 AM
    I've had a couple of Q10's and sold them off.

I'm using a Galaxy S5 as my daily driver, then use my Bold 9900 at home for emails, calendars, and CB.

I will no doubt be getting a Classic when it launches but decided to order the white/gold Q10 to have just in case they discontinue them?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-25-14 03:12 PM
    I've had a couple of Q10's and sold them off.

I'm using a Galaxy S5 as my daily driver, then use my Bold 9900 at home for emails, calendars, and CB.

I will no doubt be getting a Classic when it launches but decided to order the white/gold Q10 to have just in case they discontinue them?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Why have u sold them?
    I used an Note 2 and replaced it 2 days ago. So far I'm really happy with my Q10 and not missing my Note 2.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 03:42 PM
    Why have u sold them?
    I used an Note 2 and replaced it 2 days ago. So far I'm really happy with my Q10 and not missing my Note 2.

Posted via CB10
    Just wanted to move on. No matter what phone I have/use, I always find myself back on a BB.

Once I get my new Q10, it will be my daily driver until I can get my hands on the Classic
    10-25-14 03:56 PM
64 123