Yeah non removeable battery very much classic.

Imagine this phone with at least a snapdragon 801, 3 GB RAM, Dual Sim for business people/travellers and removeable battery.

Z10 (red) OS 10.2.2.1531 Q5 (red) OS 10.3.0.1418
    10-16-14 04:29 PM
    I'm a q10 owner and I'm very interested in the passport but worried it's going to be too big since I'm used to carrying my q so easily in my pocket. I was kind of starting to consider the classic due to form factor and it's slightly larger screen. But I just read that it has 293ppi vs the q10's 330. Seems like it'd be noticeably not as sharp looking. Plus the specs just don't do anything for me. I want passport specs in a classic frame..heheh

What do you guys think about the screen though? Will it look less sharp than a q10 or probably not even noticeable?

Posted via The Q10
    10-16-14 04:50 PM
    I tend to agree that's it's not an upgrade nor is it really meant to be. That said, what I would normally find shocking (but this is BlackBerry so nothing with this company really shocks me anymore), is that you would call something like this the "Classic" yet not make it available with a removable battery. Is that not the point? The loved BB7 devices, which this is supposedly aimed at reviving in a sense, had a big upside: removable battery amongst other things like the "belt". It was an essential feature of the phone for those on the go. I had two batteries with my 9700, 9900, and Q10 (which, on a side note, I really dislike as a phone). Don't want to make it available with a removable battery? Fine, but don't call it a Classic as though it's the new 9900. If I had not gotten a Q10, I would be a pretty P-O'd user to find that the 9900/Bold replacement didn't come with a removable battery. What I'm trying to say is that if you're going to do it, then just do it. Make it the best attempt at being a Classic. I may be going out on a stretch but it just seems sort of half-baked. We could have, but we didn't. But alas, hasn't this been BBRY's past 5 years?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:58 PM
    Agreed with the thread title. My Q10 already has a silver bezel. There are a couple of turnoffs about the Classic...the cheaper screen with lower DPI, the non-removable battery, that doesn't warrant paying hundreds of dollars. Plus, the Q10 is still going to receive updates anyway, so why upgrade?

So I'll wait and save for the next flagship QWERTY. Hopefully it is AMOLED, 4:3 ratio and 64-bit (because why not?) with the belt, running 10.5 or something. And maybe they can swap out that right shift button for a period. I can dream, right?
    10-16-14 11:03 PM
    Agreed with the thread title. My Q10 already has a silver bezel. There are a couple of turnoffs about the Classic...the cheaper screen with lower DPI, the non-removable battery, that doesn't warrant paying hundreds of dollars. Plus, the Q10 is still going to receive updates anyway, so why upgrade?

So I'll wait and save for the next flagship QWERTY. Hopefully it is AMOLED, 4:3 ratio and 64-bit (because why not?) with the belt, running 10.5 or something. And maybe they can swap out that right shift button for a period. I can dream, right?
    Why do you want an amoled screen? I would have thought the lcd would be better. I aslo thought the dpi difference wasn't significant between the 2 devices.
    10-16-14 11:33 PM
    I don't understand why BlackBerry didn't go with the NX-1 battery in the Classic. It's already out there and Q10 owners who want to upgrade could keep all their extra batteries.

The 2500 vs 2100 mAh battery won't last that much longer considering the larger LCD vs the AMOLED on the Q10.

It looks nice, although I am still not convinced that the tool bar is necessary. At the right price ($349 to $399) I might be interested a few months down the road if I could get $200 for my Q10, otherwise other than just wanting new, I don't see any real advantages to spend $449 or more on (my guess is that $449 would be shockingly low, although it's higher than they should go to sell tons of Classics).

BlackBerry has clearly gone non-removable which is unfortunate.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 12:19 AM
    I think I may go for the classic from my Q10. I've always felt it important your call send/end buttons be hardware based.
    10-17-14 05:13 AM
    I'm a q10 owner and I'm very interested in the passport but worried it's going to be too big since I'm used to carrying my q so easily in my pocket. I was kind of starting to consider the classic due to form factor and it's slightly larger screen. But I just read that it has 293ppi vs the q10's 330. Seems like it'd be noticeably not as sharp looking. Plus the specs just don't do anything for me. I want passport specs in a classic frame..heheh

What do you guys think about the screen though? Will it look less sharp than a q10 or probably not even noticeable?

Posted via The Q10
    i returned my passport for that very reason. not only was it too large to pocket comfortably in jeans, but it just felt ridiculous as phone against my ear. i'm going to hang on and see what the classic is like and go for the q10 if the classic doesn't do it for me
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    10-17-14 07:31 AM
    The classic is not meant to be an upgrade just give users what they want.

BlackBerry should have carried the resolution of the screen to 1080 x 1080 imho.

And cpu could have done with a bump as well but I like the Q10 text section is gr8.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 11:45 AM
    When you really think about it it's just the toolbelt. That doesn't make it an upgrade. No removable battery, it's not as compact as the 9900 or Q10, hardware is not that much better.

Try imagining how good the Q10 will be with 10.3!

The classic is only an upgrade if you're still on the 9900 or another bb7 device!!!!
    Q10 with 10.3 is nothing fantastic. If 10.2 was where the OS versions ended, I wouldn't mind one bit. Nothing on 10.3 really makes me go "whoa". Classic makes sense for people like me that miss the utility belt. Having the trackpad, menu key, call and end buttons are important for me to have. Same goes for a lot of people. Blackberry wouldn't have developed this device if they didn't think it'd sell. Obviously enough people want it. Troll elsewhere

Posted via Q10RR
    10-17-14 01:16 PM
    I don't understand why BlackBerry didn't go with the NX-1 battery in the Classic. It's already out there and Q10 owners who want to upgrade could keep all their extra batteries.

The 2500 vs 2100 mAh battery won't last that much longer considering the larger LCD vs the AMOLED on the Q10.

It looks nice, although I am still not convinced that the tool bar is necessary. At the right price ($349 to $399) I might be interested a few months down the road if I could get $200 for my Q10, otherwise other than just wanting new, I don't see any real advantages to spend $449 or more on (my guess is that $449 would be shockingly low, although it's higher than they should go to sell tons of Classics).

BlackBerry has clearly gone non-removable which is unfortunate.

Posted via CB10
    Integrated batteries do last longer than removable. Even if they are both 2100. The integrated battery drain at a slower rate.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 01:29 PM
    Integrated batteries do last longer than removable. Even if they are both 2100. The integrated battery drain at a slower rate.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have facts to back this up? My iphone eats up a full charge before lunch time.

Posted via Q10RR
    p1800nut likes this.
    10-17-14 01:33 PM
    For those of us with less than perfect vision (aka old folks) the screen size of the Passport makes perfect sense. Even with my Q's text size set to 12pts I still struggle to use it comfortably w/o glasses. That alone makes Passport an upgrade for many of us.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1052
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-17-14 01:42 PM
    This is pure nonsense.

How on earth have you come to this ridiculous conclusion?
    10-17-14 01:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is pure nonsense.

How on earth have you come to this ridiculous conclusion?
    I asked the same thing but still no response.

Posted via Q10RR
    10-17-14 02:01 PM

Posted via The Q10
    A 293 LCD screen is much sharper in my opinion than a 330 amoled ...
    The only reason I will upgrade my q10 is for the LCD screen
    I hate amoled screens
    10-17-14 02:02 PM
    I didn't originally like the Q10 amoled coming from the 9900 lcd. I thought it was dim in comparison. The resolution didn't seem any different as I recall. However, now the amoled seems fine to me - nice and bright and no burn in. Why do you dislike amoled?
    10-17-14 03:09 PM
    Why do you want an amoled screen? I would have thought the lcd would be better. I aslo thought the dpi difference wasn't significant between the 2 devices.
    Power saving features of the AMOLED screen. Only the pixels that are needed are turned on. The added benefit is, when I use the Q10's bedside mode display, it doesn't light up the entire room like an IPS display does.

Also, the same 720x720 resolution over a larger surface area = less DPI.
    10-17-14 05:00 PM
    Sorry, I should have asked why would you want an lcd over amoled?
    10-17-14 05:28 PM
    Power saving features of the AMOLED screen. Only the pixels that are needed are turned on. The added benefit is, when I use the Q10's bedside mode display, it doesn't light up the entire room like an IPS display does.

Also, the same 720x720 resolution over a larger surface area = less DPI.
    You don't get any power savings if there aren't many blacks. Passport ,Q5,Z3 all have LCD and great battery life.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 09:00 PM
    You don't get any power savings if there aren't many blacks. Passport ,Q5,Z3 all have LCD and great battery life.

Posted via CB10
    So what is the advantage of lcd over amoled?
    10-17-14 09:11 PM
    Wider viewing angles. IPS screens will give you 178 degrees of viewing angle without distorting the color, hence they are still superior on desktops and laptops. Regarding phones, some people like the colors better, but I like the contrast of AMOLED screens. That, and the aforementioned reasons.

The truth of the matter is just about every manufacturer uses LCD screens on their low end devices, and AMOLED on their higher-end products. Samsung (Galaxy Tab vs Galaxy Tab S), Nokia (Lumia 521 vs PureView, etc), Motorola (Moto G vs Moto X/Nexus6), and until recently, BlackBerry (Q5 vs Q10 and Z3 vs Z30). The lone exception is Apple, and that comes down to ongoing legal battles with Samsung who at one time had 90% of the OLED market. The new BlackBerry Classic and Passport using LCD has to be a cost-cutting move, which to me is a regression that I'm not willing to pay for.
    10-17-14 10:17 PM
    Thank you for the explanation. Would the 293 be noticeably less sharp than the 330?
    10-18-14 12:01 AM
    Ability to be used outdoors, chiefly.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 12:11 AM
    Thanks all. I didn't realize the amoled was better than lcd other than for outdoor viewing. Will the decrease in dpi result in less sharpness that would be noticeable?
    10-18-14 03:54 PM
64 123