It's becoming increasingly difficult to charge my Q10... I have to hold it at a certain angle to get it to charge at all, and sometimes even that doesn't work! The port is very wiggly, doesn't matter what charger I put into it. I took it to a phone repair shop and they told me that they couldn't fix it because the port is connected to the motherboard. Any truth to that? Also, any suggestions on a fix? Could I possibly replace the port myself? Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 07:26 PM
    Same thing happened to a friend. He ended up just getting a new Q10.
    07-09-14 07:43 PM
    Same thing happened to a friend. He ended up just getting a new Q10.
    I want to, but now that dumb Tmobile doesn't carry BB anymore I can't just exchange it for a new one. Sucks!

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 07:54 PM
    Your repair guy is correct, the USB port is mounted on the main board, and it is all surface mount components so resoldering it will need a *lot* of skill and experience of PCB repairs. Being realistic about it with the hourly rates I would expect for one-off repairs outside a dedicated manufacturing and rework shop, a damaged mainboard (that's the only real PCB in the phone) probably makes any smartphone beyond economic repair unless you have the skill to attempt it yourself.
    JordyC87 likes this.
    07-09-14 07:59 PM
    Your repair guy is correct, the USB port is mounted on the main board, and it is all surface mount components so resoldering it will need a *lot* of skill and experience of PCB repairs. Being realistic about it with the hourly rates I would expect for one-off repairs outside a dedicated manufacturing and rework shop, a damaged mainboard (that's the only real PCB in the phone) probably makes any smartphone beyond economic repair unless you have the skill to attempt it yourself.
    Do you think it's worth attempting myself? Whether I do or not I'm more than likely just going to have to pony up and get a new one, it seems...

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 08:09 PM
    I'd just sell it, people will pay the money for a device with that problem. I guarantee you can get at least $100 on ebay. Then you can find a gently used one for around $180-190 and only pay 80 bucks or so out of your own pocket. Problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 01:51 AM
    Here is what I would if you love your Q10 and not holding out for the Classic. Why not buy the Blackberry Q10 charging bundle. You get an extra battery and you can charge the battery externally. My battery last all day long from 4am to 11pm each day. So when I get home I just open the battery and switch them out. I know you have to open the battery door each time and wait for a reboot, but for around 24 dollars and free shipping on ebay, this will save you the trouble of opening your phone up and possibly damage it and you get an extra new battery. Even if you are holding out for the Classic, this buy some time as we all know how long it really takes BlackBerry get their new phones out to the consumers. I hope this solution helps. Good luck and God Bless.
    07-10-14 07:05 AM
    Do you think it's worth attempting myself? Whether I do or not I'm more than likely just going to have to pony up and get a new one, it seems...
    Posted via CB10
    My first thought is that you are probably dealing with a USB socket which is has moved on its location so one of the solder connections to the pcb is bad. Damage within the socket itself so the cable doesn't connect properly seems less likely.

I have never dismantled a BB10 device so I have no idea how easy the task will be. If you have good eyesight and hot gas soldering or a static-safe micro soldering iron you might stand a chance - provided you can get to the solder pads without damaging anything else. If you can find one of the dismantling videos for Q10 you can decide whether it is practical to open up and take a closer look yourself. However... make sure you have a backup of data from the device, and have a spare phone for Plan B just in case the phone doesn't appreciate your efforts.
    07-12-14 11:03 AM