Greetings,

My Q10 has a bad charging port. I can connect it to the charger and the plug will not fall out. However the port itself jiggles loosely inside and the phone will not charge.

Question 1: Is there any creative way to charge this thing so that I can at least get it backed up?

Question 2: What is the best way to go about getting this Q10 repaired? [no more warranty and I'm not even done paying for it, grrr..]

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 07:54 PM
    The "correct" way to fix this is with a hot-air "reflow/rework" solder station, but depending on how the board itself is built, it might be fixable with a soldering iron. Either way, I'd look into a professional cellular repair shop in your area - someplace where you can drop it off and pick it up in less than 24 hours.
    12-30-15 08:02 PM
    I had the same thing happen to my Classic. It's easy enough to charge it creatively but you still need the USB port to do a full back-up. I wouldn't worry too much though, the repair shop should be able to do the whole thing without needing to mess with anything.

You could back most things up to a microSD card or Cloud account (Dropbox or something like it) and there are apps for backing up other things (InTouchApp for contacts, SMS backup for texts, etc). Like I said though, I wouldn't worry about that part.

Also, you should have one of these since you have a removable battery: http://ca.crackberry.com/blackberry-...8A37A14090.htm

It looks like they are on clearance and extremely worth it! You will never have to plug your phone in again!

PS - One last check before bringing it in to repair: Make sure you try a different USB cord as they can wear out just as easily (or moreso) than the actual port itself.
    12-30-15 08:18 PM
    The "correct" way to fix this is with a hot-air "reflow/rework" solder station, but depending on how the board itself is built, it might be fixable with a soldering iron. Either way, I'd look into a professional cellular repair shop in your area - someplace where you can drop it off and pick it up in less than 24 hours.
    I tried Cellairis at Walmart but their technician said he could not do any soldering. I'll try to find an independent repair shop. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 11:54 PM
    I had the same thing happen to my Classic. It's easy enough to charge it creatively but you still need the USB port to do a full back-up. I wouldn't worry too much though, the repair shop should be able to do the whole thing without needing to mess with anything.

You could back most things up to a microSD card or Cloud account (Dropbox or something like it) and there are apps for backing up other things (InTouchApp for contacts, SMS backup for texts, etc). Like I said though, I wouldn't worry about that part.

Also, you should have one of these since you have a removable battery: http://ca.crackberry.com/blackberry-...8A37A14090.htm

It looks like they are on clearance and extremely worth it! You will never have to plug your phone in again!

PS - One last check before bringing it in to repair: Make sure you try a different USB cord as they can wear out just as easily (or moreso) than the actual port itself.
    I'm grateful for your detailed reply. Will definitely purchase the charger you recommended, as well as look at other backup options besides Link.

I already tried my Z10 cord - works with the Z but not with the Q.

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses and good advice!

Posted via CB10
    12-31-15 12:02 AM
    I would, if you have, use the spare battery and the charger bundle, if not, I have no other suggestions.

A while back, one of my Q's went down with the charging port issue - in fact it shorted the phone. Took the phone to an authorised BB repair, independent, and the repair was done for about $75 including parts and labour. No data was lost (mind you, I had a back up to be safe). The technician, for what it is worth, said the issue was relatively uncommon in his experience.
    12-31-15 07:58 PM