The title is a little bit misleading because I don?t have such problem. However, I always wonder after some years of use, will the characters on the pkb fade away? Has anyone ever had that kind of problem? If yes how can we prevent that? It's not like the keyboard never wears out right?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Viet Ton; 11-30-14 at 12:29 AM.
    11-29-14 11:35 PM
    I have seen it on older BB's. But I think it's more scratched off than wore off by use. Like stuck in a pocket with keys. I would also imagine that oily hands or foreign chemicals (think facial wash) may help wear it off.

- Freeze
    11-29-14 11:40 PM
    personally after using so many pkb devices only ever seen a minor fade when i had my 9900 for 2.5 years of extreme usage.
    11-30-14 12:04 AM
    I have never had an issue and use my keyboards pretty heavily. However, I would say that if you used the keyboard enough to wear away the characters you have got your money out of the device. And at that point you would know the keyboard so well you wouldn't need the characters anyway.

Not an issue I would be concerned about.

Posted via CB10
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    11-30-14 05:34 AM
    I personally have never seen letters fade on an original BlackBerry keyboard, mainly because the letters aren't painted on; rather, the keys were manufactured with the letters in the plastic, so there should be no problems like that
    11-30-14 09:09 AM
    I only ever seen this happen on the 9900's. Whenever I seen that, I always knew that BlackBerry was put to good use.
    12-01-14 07:49 AM
    I've never worn letters off, but I do usually wear the color off the little nub on the "D" key

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-04-14 06:43 AM
    The short answer is, it seems highly unlikely with these newer models.

The long story is, in the past there have been problems with certain OEM BlackBerry keyboards. My white Bold 9000 had a bad problem in the end. However, it wasn't that the characters faded or wore off. The keys were semi-clear plastic and then painted, leaving the characters clear for the backlight to shine through. Eventually the paint started wearing and chipping around the characters so I had a lot of "naked" keys. It started after about a year of heavy use with the middles of the O and D, and spread from there over the next year or so. After that I used a 9800 for three years and I've had a Q10 for the better part of a year now and both still look new. They seem to have keys made of clear plastic bonded with colored (in my case, white) plastic instead of paint, so it'll never chip or wear off.

As an aside, I've seen other older models that look like the color on the keys' high points wears off, but it doesn't look quite like the paint problem I had with the Bold 9000. It's still not a matter of the characters coming off, since they're not actually painted or printed on separately.
    12-05-14 10:14 PM