This was a dealbreaker for me. Don't try and talk me out of it, I'm telling you how I, as a BlackBerry user for 8 years feel. I knew the device wasn't going to have it, and thought it would be okay, but after a great deal of use and attempts to reconcile with the loss, I'm throwing in the towel.

I realized two things:

1) in my line of work, I do more copying and pasting than I did in college. I need it to be quick, painless, and work on the first try. The text selection tool in OS 10 is not designed for that.

2) As much as I love scrolling through menus with my fingers, I do not like, one bit, the device requiring me to scroll through my inbox, or down thru emails, for that matter, while my fingers is in the way of half of the message or list. It's not an efficient way for me to get thru email.

That being said, is there any chance in hell of seeing a virtual trackpad where the bottom section of the screen is underutilized 75% of the time already?
    paul435smith likes this.
    07-26-13 01:15 AM
    07-26-13 01:22 AM
    Yeah I played with that, it's too big, the SHIFT + Cursor doesn't do the select all, and it isn't incorporated into the OS, but definitely a nice effort
    07-26-13 01:26 AM
    Ive been a blackberry fan until they removed the trackpad.. i never looked for another phone since I had my first blackberry which was bold 9700. Now I've been searching the net for a smart phone with a trackpad but there arent any. So i guess the q10 would just do it for now. Maybe next year a new phone may come with a trackpad. Lets just hope... thats all we can do. The best solution for now is to go back to bb OS 7 phones.
    07-26-13 01:35 AM
    Oh damn it I just realised I do a fair share of copying and pasting... I hope the new OS is worth it though, I guess skype is also worth it.
    07-26-13 01:38 AM
    You'll probably be disappointed. Skype is good, but you copy and paste all the time, Skype, not so much.
    07-26-13 01:44 AM
    You'll probably be disappointed. Skype is good, but you copy and paste all the time, Skype, not so much.
    I don't copy and paste all the time I'd say, a few times though. I need a phone with qwerty and no way willing to buy an OS7 one when OS10 is out, I'll just wait until september before I start college and hopefully it will be a bit cheaper then so I won't feel like I am paying a lot more than its worth. By then I guess the price should be a little lower and the OS a little better.
    07-26-13 01:48 AM
    Are you a current BlackBerry user?

If you're not, then I'm sure the BB10 device will be great for you. Ironically for RIM, the big grip is lifelong BlackBerry customers disliking the BlackBerry 10, not the new adopters.

Kind of a chicken and egg situation.
    07-26-13 01:50 AM
    COPY paste isn't so bad with q10 once u get used to it. yes it was better in bb7
    07-26-13 02:10 AM
    I was used to it. It still wasn't working for me.
    07-26-13 02:16 AM
    Wayne, in regards to your finger being in the way while scrolling through emails, if your finger is in the way, it would mean it's in the way while you're scrolling at a moderate enough pace that you're actually somewhat reading the email titles. Hitting the space bar to scroll down a screen at a time would work well for you in this situation, since you wouldn't be high speed scrolling (which yes, the trackpad was great for).

As for selecting text, yep, deal with it. *slides on shades*

Though I have found that it's not too hard to "get to know" the selection tool on the screen...

I guess if you're willing to give up a few BB10 features, apps, and the insane browsing speed, the Bold 9900 is the next best thing. In my opinion, it is the ultimate communication device - silky smooth keyboard, trackpad, and push communications via BIS and/or BES with data compression...

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 02:26 AM
    Wayne, in regards to your finger being in the way while scrolling through emails, if your finger is in the way, it would mean it's in the way while you're scrolling at a moderate enough pace that you're actually somewhat reading the email titles. Hitting the space bar to scroll down a screen at a time would work well for you in this situation, since you wouldn't be high speed scrolling (which yes, the trackpad was great for).

As for selecting text, yep, deal with it. *slides on shades*

Though I have found that it's not too hard to "get to know" the selection tool on the screen...

I guess if you're willing to give up a few BB10 features, apps, and the insane browsing speed, the Bold 9900 is the next best thing. In my opinion, it is the ultimate communication device - silky smooth keyboard, trackpad, and push communications via BIS and/or BES with data compression...

Posted via CB10

The 9900 isn't the next best thing, it's the best. I'm already back on it and feel relieved, not stressed everytime I use the device. Call me crazy, but spend a day in the life with my and how much I use the sh*! out of a BlackBerry device
    fkornre likes this.
    07-26-13 02:28 AM
    The 9900 isn't the next best thing, it's the best. I'm already back on it and feel relieved, not stressed everytime I use the device. Call me crazy, but spend a day in the life with my and how much I use the sh*! out of a BlackBerry device
    You're not crazy. If the 9900 works the way you need it to, then who's to tell you otherwise? I don't mind the text selection on the Z10, but it's hard to argue that it's better than the ALT-scroll on the 9900. Granted, copy/paste isn't a big chunk of my particular use, but if it is for you, well...

Personally, I wouldn't object to a virtual scroll-pad. After spending a couple of days with the new Origami Browser on the Playbook, I've found the one built into that app is surprisingly useful.
    07-26-13 02:38 AM
    I used to have a 9900 and the experience was awesome. Now I am using the Z10, because I wanted the full touch experience with BB10. I'm fine with the virtual keyboard, but I miss the track pad so bad.

I've downloaded the app for that, but deleted it immediately. The track pad is only in the app usable. It would be great to use the track pad in all apps and the core OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 02:42 AM
    You could scroll with the space bar. Not the best solution but I tend to use it a lot so my finger isn't in the way or so I don't scroll too fast.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 06:50 AM
    The track pad was nice but not needed at all with the Q10 in my opinion. It is so easy to navigate around the OS there is no reason for the track pad.

Posted via CB10
    Humga Chan likes this.
    07-26-13 07:14 AM
    The track pad was nice but not needed at all with the Q10 in my opinion. It is so easy to navigate around the OS there is no reason for the track pad.

Posted via CB10
    It's easy to navigate around the OS but it's easier with the trackpad.
    07-26-13 12:51 PM
    This is my number one gripe with BB10. Its really starting to **** me off. Not just for copy pasting, but moving the cursor and scrolling with a trackpad is soo effortless. Text selection is horrid, I have to tap the screen so many times for that damn bubble to come up, and then when you tap too much it becomes the text selection tools. So frustrating, this needs to be addressed. Writing emails/long messages have become just as tedious on a BlackBerry than it is on every other platform. Where is the differentiation? Way to kill your loyal fans by catering to the masses who fled you for rival devices, BlackBerry. Hope this is seriously addressed in 10.2.

The 9900 with the bb10 browser would be the perfect device. Tools not toys..

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 01:04 PM
    To the OP - You don't need the trackpad mate. I've come from old school blackberry's as well, and I don't miss it. Just roll with the new design.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 01:08 PM
    To the OP - You don't need the trackpad mate. I've come from old school blackberry's as well, and I don't miss it. Just roll with the new design.

Posted via CB10
    That's great that the new OS is working for you, but don't tell me what I need and don't need as a user. If I'm telling you it isn't working for what I need and the intense use, then it's not working. It's not the intention of this post for you to make me feel a certain way about something, it's a legitimate question that I hope developers see as something I am really bumping up against in the new OS, and would really appreciate the consideration of the feature to be incorporated into future releases. Even if it's something to toggle on and off for those users (like yourself) who are perfectly fine without the trackpad.
    moody and thedose like this.
    07-26-13 04:56 PM
    FYI in the hub, hitting P scrolls up, while N scrolls down (space bar also scrolls down)

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 06:01 PM
    I've only been able to get the copy/paste to work once - and I too need it multiple times a day. So irritating having to delete each character or retype stuff.

However, while I was working with a level 2 tech support guy trying to get BBLink to work I asked about many things, one being the possibility of a virtual trackpad that can be viewed or hidden and used in any app. He said "I am not able to discuss any new features that are still in testing." So I asked if that means this is in testing and he sat quiet. I laughed and told him I took his silence as a "yes".
    07-26-13 09:27 PM
    I dont want a virtual trackpad. I want a physical trackpad. Please blackberry give us one. I'll buy it I promise..
    07-26-13 10:11 PM
    Are you a current BlackBerry user?

If you're not, then I'm sure the BB10 device will be great for you. Ironically for RIM, the big grip is lifelong BlackBerry customers disliking the BlackBerry 10, not the new adopters.

Kind of a chicken and egg situation.
    I had a 9790 last year for a few months until I lost it, it worked well for me. I'd rather buy the latest BB than an outdated 9900 just for the trackpad.
    07-26-13 11:27 PM
    You know they should put the pointer mouse thing they have on the Q10 keyboard. The lenovo thinkpads have it. It would be easy to implement on a future device. I think the virtual trackpad developer will advance his app when we get headless apps making more use of his virtual trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 01:11 AM
33 12