Hi,

I work in an IT department for a company who's mobile sales people all use Blackberry Q10s (unfortunately). We have had many issues with these devices since day one of purchasing but up until now I hadn't found an issue that I couldn't fix or which hadn't been heard of before.

I have one of the devices in front of me now, on which I am unable to get into the settings.

If I slide down from the top edge of the screen and tap settings, the settings window starts to open but closes itself before it even presents the menu entries. It does the same when browsing to the settings using the icon on the desktop. All that can be seen is a black window with nothing in it for a split second, then I am dumped back on the home screen.

The phone does the same thing when opening the hub. If you swipe from left to right on the home screen to pull out the hub, all that is pulled out is a black screen that covers everything until you slide it back to the left and get rid of it.

The usual fix for software issues like this would be to security wipe the device and load on the latest version. As I cannot reach the settings menu to security wipe the device, I thought I would try it using Blackberry Link, a USB cable and the PC I work on. When I connect the device to the PC it tells me that I need to go back on the device and finish the setup and won't allow me to do anything.

Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around it?

Thanks in advance

Dan
    04-16-14 06:56 AM
    Did you try finishing the setup as it asked you? It's possible they never correctly created their Blackberry account/Blackberry ID. So if there are no accounts in the phone, the hub won't have anything to load. When I unboxed my phone, or when I installed a leaked OS, one of the first things I had to do was enter in my Blackberry account information, which is an email address and password. Perhaps you should ask your client for their information. Are you able to access all the setup options if you click on setup off the home screen?
    04-16-14 07:21 AM
    I have had the same issue with the HUB being all black. A reboot did the trick there. Hold down both volume buttons until the BlackBerry logo shows up. This should take care of the HUB issue.

As to the issue of the settings. You could try the following. Go into Search from the home screen (assuming you're able to open it) and type security wipe. You should get the option to open that part of the settings menu on top of your search results.

You'll get straight into the Security Wipe section.

[EDIT] By the way, you can also try the reboot in order to be able to access the settings in a normal manner from the home screen. The reboot helps to take care of a bug most of the time.
    04-16-14 07:22 AM