Q10 will not connect to my Exchange server email...

Yet every BlackBerry device I have owned has done so flawlessly, until now. I tried work email, Exchange Active Sync setup. It never works, says it cannot find the server. Gmail set up was easy, 10 seconds.

Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 05:23 PM
    It works for my university Exchange server. Get online instructions or ask your IT support. So long as the setting is right, it should work.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 06:33 PM
    Yes, I figure it might be a setting, though I expect they should be same as the Bold I had prior to this upgrade. Does anyone know if there is anything unusual that must be done with a Q10?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 06:55 PM
    Yet every BlackBerry device I have owned has done so flawlessly, until now. I tried work email, Exchange Active Sync setup. It never works, says it cannot find the server. Gmail set up was easy, 10 seconds.

About "every BlackBerry device" - that's pretty funny, because the very first BlackBerry smartphones that have had native support for EAS is the Z10/Q10.

The way the older devices connected to Exchange servers was not via EAS, but via Outlook Web Access. Those are 2 different things. The servername syntax is different, the ports are different, your Exchange administrator might have OWA enabled and EAS disabled for your account, or they could just be blocking anything but iPhones if they wanted to.

Need more information on your server side setup.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    05-05-13 06:56 PM
    Here are 2 special test pages you can use to see if you have your device settings correct and that the server is properly setup for the connection you want to make.

The first link is for a Microsoft page that is designed to verify if the server you are trying to connect to is accepting the type of connection you want to make to it, the second is for a Blackberry page that determines if your provided account data actually traces back to a connectable resource.

Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer

Blackberry Email Account Validation Tool
    Supa_Fly1 and Overlake like this.
    05-05-13 07:01 PM
    If you're trying to set up a Gmail account, it won't work unless you're a paid subscriber. I just tried on the phone with TELUS tech support, and it's Google that isn't allowing it. Sucks, because Exchange is the only way to sync more than 30 days' email.
    05-05-13 07:05 PM
    If you're trying to set up a Gmail account, it won't work unless you're a paid subscriber. I just tried on the phone with TELUS tech support, and it's Google that isn't allowing it. Sucks, because Exchange is the only way to sync more than 30 days' email.
    I have seen accounts from several people with leaked versions of 10.1 that can sync more than 30 days on Gmail, so if that feature didn't make it into the initial release of 10.1 for the Q10, it should be available shortly.
    ALToronto likes this.
    05-05-13 07:21 PM
    Thx for the suggestions. I will try those. When I said it worked before, I meant that previous devices have connected to my exchange email without trouble. I didn't mean EAS, sorry.

I can connect via webmail in the BlackBerry browser. I will try what was suggested.

Thx.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 08:21 PM
    I am still having trouble.

We have Exchange 2003, no BES and no EAS. I think the device will not connect to our server for some reason. All previous devices did. We connect via Outlook webmail.

The closest I get is when I use the add account feature in the device. I enter the email and password. It then prompts me about going to a site that might not be trusted, just like it would with Outlook webmail. Thereafter it stops and reports that I need to make sure that my enterprise activation code has not expired. So it seems like it hangs at the point where it wants to authorize the certificate. Is this so? How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 06:57 PM
    I am still having trouble.

We have Exchange 2003, no BES and no EAS. I think the device will not connect to our server for some reason. All previous devices did. We connect via Outlook webmail.

The closest I get is when I use the add account feature in the device. I enter the email and password. It then prompts me about going to a site that might not be trusted, just like it would with Outlook webmail. Thereafter it stops and reports that I need to make sure that my enterprise activation code has not expired. So it seems like it hangs at the point where it wants to authorize the certificate. Is this so? How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

You need to use the testing tools I posted links to earlier, and report what result you got when you used them.
    05-06-13 07:08 PM
    If your previous accounts were set up on the BlackBerry using OWA, I've been told that this was a BIS feature and is no longer available in BB10.
    05-06-13 07:09 PM
    If your system truly does not have Exchange ActiveSync enabled, then you will not be able to use the built-in Blackberry 10 Microsoft Exchange connection feature which, like most modern smartphone platforms, assumes that Exchange ActiveSync will be available.

So if that is truly the situation (rather rare these days), then you can either use the web browser to connect directly to OWA, or there are some 3rd-party things you might be able to use to connect to an OWA-only system.

For example, the open-source K9Email client is available in Blackberry World, costs nothing and supports OWA. (But not EAS - because EAS costs money to license and most open-source products are not willing or able to pay such license fees.)
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    05-06-13 07:28 PM
    Thanks for the input. I'll give that a try.

Surely, there are other businesses in this situation...? Is this that rare?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 08:16 PM
    Wrong - dead wrong. Recheck your sources. I am not a paying subscriber and my gmail account works perfectly.
    05-06-13 09:41 PM
    I was having issues with my work email for the longest time. If you go into the email you are having issues with and go to settings and fish around it should tell you somewhere how to connect a device and what you need to input. On my 9900 I found that for the sever just using my username worked no problem but on my Q turns out once I fished around in my settings I realized that I needed to put HAC (Hyundai Auto Canada) before my username which I previously didn't on the 9900. So it might just be a username issue like I was having.? Take a look hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 10:43 PM
    Wrong - dead wrong. Recheck your sources. I am not a paying subscriber and my gmail account works perfectly.

He seems to be talking about using EAS to connect to Gmail. They killed that off for free customers a couple months back. But if you already had a device setup with EAS on a free account before the cutoff, it will continue to work.
    05-06-13 10:50 PM
    I was having issues with my work email for the longest time. If you go into the email you are having issues with and go to settings and fish around it should tell you somewhere how to connect a device and what you need to input. On my 9900 I found that for the sever just using my username worked no problem but on my Q turns out once I fished around in my settings I realized that I needed to put HAC (Hyundai Auto Canada) before my username which I previously didn't on the 9900. So it might just be a username issue like I was having.? Take a look hope that helps.

Most likely because the 9900 uses Outlook Web Access to connect to an MS Exchange server, and Blackberry 10 uses Exchange ActiveSync. The server login syntax is oftentimes different.
    05-06-13 10:51 PM
    Just another option to try for those of you having trouble.

BB10 "should" use exactly the same steps as an Iphone, or Android uses at your workplace to get Exchange e-mail. So if your IT has tutorials, or such, try following those instructions.

The old BB's will in fact use different setup details, because they did not connect straight to EAS, the way BB10 does.

The IMAP or POP settings should be universal form BBOS to BB10.
    05-07-13 09:01 AM
    Here's another handy tool that you can use from a Windows PC to check if your Exchange server is accessible via EAS and your account on it works. It requires no installation, just run directly from the downloaded file:

Download ActiveSync Tester 1.1.0.0 Free - Exchange ActiveSync Diagnostic Tool - Softpedia
    https://store.accessmylan.com/main/diagnostic-tools
    05-07-13 11:08 AM
    Bear in mind that there is no "autodiscover" feature on Exchange 2003, so just entering an email address and expecting the system to figure out your settings automatically may not work.

You need to properly specify the server address, your username, your domain and your password.

As mentioned previously, if they really have Outlook Web Access enabled but not Exchange ActiveSync, you will have to use either the browser to connect to that server, or some 3rd party app or utility because the native BB10 email client will not connect to OWA.
    05-07-13 11:11 AM
    Thanks everyone. I did try the various suggestions. I did run the various tests to confirm that our Exchange server does not support Active Sync. We can connect to the Blackberry test page to confirm that the connection can be made.

I decided to use a client email app, TouchDown, until our email server is replaced. It's not ideal and a little slow at times, but it's a decent workaround at this point.
    Last edited by 4everblue; 05-14-13 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typo
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-14-13 07:11 PM
    Thanks everyone. I did try the various suggestions. I did run the various tests to confirm that our Exchange server does not support Active Sync. We can connect to the Blackberry test page to confirm that the connection can be made.

I decided to use a client email app, TouchDown, until our email server is replaced. It's not ideal and a little slow at times, but it's a decent workaround at this point.

Thanks for the update.
    05-15-13 12:19 AM
    Hello!

So i'm having trouble connecting my business email to my blackberry as well.. I tried the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer and the result was that my SSL certificate was invalid, the test it failed was the certifaction date (it says its expired). Do I need to contact my exchange admin so they could spme how renew the certification date? / Is renewing it even possible?

Thanks!
    07-10-13 02:08 PM
    So i'm having trouble connecting my business email to my blackberry as well.. I tried the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer and the result was that my SSL certificate was invalid, the test it failed was the certifaction date (it says its expired). Do I need to contact my exchange admin so they could spme how renew the certification date? / Is renewing it even possible?

SSL certificates all have a specific "not valid before" and "not valid after" dates on them.

Certificate authorities do not hand out certificates with unlimited valid dates. They want money for each year you are using it. (With some justification - part of the point of a cert is to verify that the entity with the cert is actually who they say they are - and that situation can change over time.)

So yes - you need to have your Exchange server admin install a valid cert on the server.

If the BlackBerry device did not check such things before allowing a connection - it would undermine the whole point of having a cert in the first place - security.
    07-10-13 03:12 PM
    This may not apply to you but it does to me so just sharing my experience. I too had trouble setting up EAS. I discovered that if I am in my office and connected to WIFI the phone defaults to wifi not data on Rogers and because of that and various firewalls in place in our office I was not able to connect to EAS either. I shut off wifi on the phone, or leave the office and voila, it works fine. When I go back to my offcec AFTER it has been set up, it works fine as well. Sounds crazy ? Maybe so but it is what it is. And it works for me. Like I said not sure if this applies to you at all (or makes any sense) but nothing ventured , nothing gained.
    07-10-13 03:23 PM
43 12