I have a Q10 sim free phone

I can not connect to my Pop3 server. The error message says that the Pop3 server is not respending. There are no error codes diplayed.
    I can connfirm that the settings are correct and the server is not offline.
    changing the password appeared to work initialy but that does not work any more.
    The pop3 server uses SSL
    The smtp server uses SSL SMTP encryption
    I have 4 Pop3 accounts on my phone and none of them work.
    My bold 9900 does not have this issue and I can recieve all my emails through that device
    With Blackberry OS10 and not the need to have a BIS account with your wireless provider is this the issue- a connflict between the interfarce with provider and BIS with OS10 or as OS10 is supposed to connect directly with your email server. is the issue that it can not cope with Pop3 SSL and SMTP SSL authentication?
    Does anyone know what the issue is with the Q10?

Does the Z10 have the same issues?
    05-10-13 05:40 AM
    I have a Q10 sim free phone

I can not connect to my Pop3 server. The error message says that the Pop3 server is not respending. There are no error codes diplayed.
    changing the password appeared to work initialy but that does not work any more.
    The pop3 server uses SSL
    My bold 9900 does not have this issue and I can recieve all my emails through that device
    With Blackberry OS10 and not the need to have a BIS account with your wireless provider is this the issue- a connflict between the interfarce with provider and BIS with OS10 or as OS10 is supposed to connect directly with your email server. is the issue that it can not cope with Pop3 SSL and SMTP SSL authentication?

I'm having the same issue on my Q10. I set the email account up a few days ago and it worked fine for a day or so, then it said the settings had changed and to re-enter my password, which I did... from then on I haven't been able to set the account up again... it just keeps saying smpt server is not responding, although I have the same account on my BB Torch (yes I know it's BIS) and the same account on my Ipad and PC which all work fine..... very very infuriating!
    05-10-13 06:13 AM
    Legacy devices with BIS never used the SMTP server associated with any email accounts. The BIS servers performed this function on your behalf.

Do the email accounts in question allow you to send email through their servers when you are not on your home network (using a laptop at a Starbucks for example). For example, I have one POP3 account (from Cogeco), the SMTP server will only accept connections from Cogeco internal IP addresses. So I can send and receive email on that account when I am at home connected through my Wi-Fi router. I can receive email when on wireless or on a HotSpot away from home, but can not connect to the SMTP server to send mail. This is one situation to check out.

The other issue that I have no experience with is that there were reports of an email header format issue. I believe that was supposed to be fixed in 10.1 however.
    geoffq10 likes this.
    05-10-13 07:27 AM
    Sounds like the SMTP bug is still not fixed, this has been going on for almost 3 months now.
    05-10-13 08:05 AM
    All my Pop3 emails address are from our own domains and i can pick them up from anywhere. My hosting company say the issue is with Blackberry OS10. I borrowed a friends iPone and managed to pick up my emails!!! I was not a happy bunny but my friend thought it was hilarious.
    It is not good that Blackberry has known about this for a long time but has failed to correct the issue or at the very lest sent out a work around.
    It looks like i will be reverting to my trusty and fathful Bold 9900 and OS7
    05-10-13 12:21 PM
    Legacy devices with BIS never used the SMTP server associated with any email accounts. The BIS servers performed this function on your behalf.

Do the email accounts in question allow you to send email through their servers when you are not on your home network (using a laptop at a Starbucks for example). For example, I have one POP3 account (from Cogeco), the SMTP server will only accept connections from Cogeco internal IP addresses. So I can send and receive email on that account when I am at home connected through my Wi-Fi router. I can receive email when on wireless or on a HotSpot away from home, but can not connect to the SMTP server to send mail. This is one situation to check out.

The other issue that I have no experience with is that there were reports of an email header format issue. I believe that was supposed to be fixed in 10.1 however.
    Thanks for the post.... I changed the smtp server details to my broadband providers details and it worked instantly.
    05-10-13 12:41 PM
    Thanks for the post.... I changed the smtp server details to my broadband providers details and it worked instantly.
    I'm glad for you that your provider has that kind of service. Enjoy your Q
    05-10-13 01:18 PM
    So are you guys saying that you now cannot use a pop3 email account with the 10.1 OS?
    I am still using my 9810 as I am in the US and waiting for the Q10 to launch. I too have our own private domain that is hosted by a local service company. we have our pop3 accounts set up and we too, receive them on our BB 9810's, PC's, Netbooks, and even on my wife's iPhone 4S.
    If we cannot set it up the same way, then we really do have a problem! Actually 2 problems! The other issue is that they still haven't fixed or replaced the issue with syncing with Outlook (2007/2010) either and that is, a deal-buster for us as we can't use a cloud system due to the nature of our business.
    Also, what about an imap account, as I think we could set up that way if needed. Any info is appreciated! Thank you!
    nack likes this.
    05-10-13 01:27 PM
    So are you guys saying that you now cannot use a pop3 email account with the 10.1 OS?
    I am still using my 9810 as I am in the US and waiting for the Q10 to launch. I too have our own private domain that is hosted by a local service company. we have our pop3 accounts set up and we too, receive them on our BB 9810's, PC's, Netbooks, and even on my wife's iPhone 4S.
    If we cannot set it up the same way, then we really do have a problem! Actually 2 problems! The other issue is that they still haven't fixed or replaced the issue with syncing with Outlook (2007/2010) either and that is, a deal-buster for us as we can't use a cloud system due to the nature of our business.
    Also, what about an imap account, as I think we could set up that way if needed. Any info is appreciated! Thank you!
    05-11-13 12:01 AM
    I kept putting in the same details as i knew they were correct and eventually the pop3 server accepted them but the smtp server did not. Again i kept putting in the details for the smtp server but it keeps coming back that the smtp server logging details have changed. I kept continually save ing the settings on the account page in email setup and eventually it accepted the settings last night and my email arrived on my phone. Woke up the morning to do some work and guess what - on the accounts page it said email invalide!!!!!!! I have just spent the last 30mins pressing save again as it says the smtp server details have change. I have not changed the server log in details. The server has just accepted the details and my emails have been downloaded> How long will this last??? The Blackberry OS seems to lose the log in details to both the pop3 server and the authenticated smtp server - both use SSL or there is a conflict that the OS engage with a secure Pop3 and smtp server? Blackberry please find a work around or sent out a small update to resolve the issue.
    05-11-13 12:22 AM
    I have a similar problem but strangely with the IMAP.gmail.com accounts asking me to reenter passwords, it may take many tries and then it would suddenly accept them out of the blue. I have had this problem on two gmail accounts at least once at day since I picked up the Q10 last week.

I was doing some testing and it appears to me anyway, if I have more than one machine accessing the same IMAP gmail account, every now and then, when gmail reports too many simultaneous connections, the Q10 would interpret this as wrong user name and password, forcing me to reenter password.

I get this connection on imap.gmail.com mail app on my iPhone too, but it usually can connect the second or third time (unlike the Q10 which can take 30 mins). The gmail app on iOS has been 100% reliable though, maybe it is more similar to a browser than a mail app.

Complicated issue. I switched back to the 9900 for now because of this, way too frustrating.

Update:
    I think I have it figured out, these password prompts on the Q10 seem to be related to when too many computers are trying to access a mail box. When creating a fresh gmail account with only the Q10 accessing it at one time, I never run into this issue.

Not sure if it's the same issue with your pop issues.
    Last edited by observer; 05-11-13 at 02:44 AM.
    05-11-13 12:44 AM
    When I set up my BF's Z10, with his work email account also had issues with the SMTP, so I changed it to his carriers outgoing server and voil, works perfectly.

If it's an option, I would definitely look into it. When I had a look at his legacy device I noticed that his work email account was set up the same way and that account had been pushed from logging online to the BIS section of his carriers page.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    05-11-13 03:27 AM
    Having read trough this thread, I am hoping to clarify one of the SMTP issues which comes up multiple times.
    The carriers (Bell, Roger, Telus, Cogeco, etc....) all disallow sending email (SMTP) when you are not connected to their respective network. Receiving email via POP works.

There is a solution to this. One must call the carrier you are connecting to and ask the support Rep for the Port number to direct SMPT traffic to when you are connected to their network. Best to have a Customer of the respective carrier make the call.

This port will pass your SMTP message traffic through instead of blocking it. This is also the case when using IMAP as the send side is still SMTP.

This is not as easy as it sounds as either 1) they don't know what you are talking about, or 2) they do not want to tell you. This does exist as I re-configure me laptop, wife's iPad, etc. regularly when we are no longer connected to Telus.
    Last edited by lob1028; 06-03-13 at 03:18 PM.
    06-03-13 02:56 PM
    Having read trough this thread, I am hoping to clarify one of the SMTO issues which comes up multiple times.
    The carriers (Bell, Roger, Telus, Cogeco, etc....) all disallow sending email (SMTP) when you are not connected to their respective network. Receiving email via POP works.

There is a solution to this. One must call your carrier and ask the support Rep for the Port number to direct SMPT traffic to when you are not connected to their network. This is not as easy as it sounds as either 1) they don't know what you are talking about, or 2) they do not want to tell you. This does exist as I re-configure me laptop, wife's iPad, etc. regularly when we are no longer connected to Telus.
    If I'm not using a Carrier email address, like I'm using Network Solutions, will I still have to get VerizonWireless to allow direct SMTP traffic?

- Scott
    06-03-13 03:13 PM
    The pop3 server uses SSL

The issue is a bug in the OS for both devices. Strangely, some later 10.0.10.x releases seemed to fix it, and some 10.1.x.x releases seem to have regressed that fix.

The issue is more common when using SMTP authentication/encryption. This is why many people can use their mobile carrier's internal SMTP servers for outgoing relay with no problem - because they are on the provider's internal network, it is not imperative that they ask for user authentication for mail relay because the carrier already knows who you are when you connect. (If this were done on the "open internet", that server would quickly be exploited by spammers as an email spam relay point.)

Here is my general post about it - what complicates matters is that error messages are either nonexistent or misleading, leading people to be confused about what the problem actually is:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rsions-779341/

See above. It seems that the bug reappeared on various builds of 10.1, unfortunately.

Also, what about an imap account, as I think we could set up that way if needed.
    IMAP is a retrieval protocol, not a sending protocol. The problems discussed here are on the sending side.

I'm having the same issue on my Q10. I set the email account up a few days ago and it worked fine for a day or so, then it said the settings had changed and to re-enter my password, which I did... from then on I haven't been able to set the account up again... it just keeps saying smpt server is not responding, although I have the same account on my BB Torch (yes I know it's BIS) and the same account on my Ipad and PC which all work fine..... very very infuriating!
    I think I have it figured out, these password prompts on the Q10 seem to be related to when too many computers are trying to access a mail box. When creating a fresh gmail account with only the Q10 accessing it at one time, I never run into this issue.

The "periodically forgetting email password" issue is a separate bug, though it can occur on the same device that has the sending issue described above.

Blackberry has a knowledgebase article on it, which suggests it is limited to POP accounts and due to multiple email hosts or clients/devices checking/retrieving email from the same account at the same time.

KB33834-Email accounts integrated using POP are repeatedly and incorrectly marked as invalid

While that may explain some instances, it doesn't explain all, as per various user experiences shared here. Regardless, the email client should not un-configure itself just because it had a login collision with some other entity. It should provide an informative error message and ask the user what to do.

If I'm not using a Carrier email address, like I'm using Network Solutions, will I still have to get VerizonWireless to allow direct SMTP traffic?

Generally speaking, an email server for one domain will not relay traffic as if it was sent from another domain, particularly if it is not asking for user authentication. That's how spam emails are sent. (Some webmail services provide this service but because they know who you are and have a copy of all your incoming and outgoing email traffic, it's not likely to be abused the way a simple standalone outgoing email host might be.)
    06-04-13 03:56 AM
    So, and please bear with me, if I'm using pop3.my-own-exchange-server.com and smtp.my-own-exchange-server.com, what are the odds I would have the issues here?

Thanks,
    Scott
    06-04-13 05:55 AM
    So, and please bear with me, if I'm using pop3.my-own-exchange-server.com and smtp.my-own-exchange-server.com, what are the odds I would have the issues here?

Thanks,
    Scott
    I haven't had problems in that circumstance.
    bigdogweigand likes this.
    06-04-13 06:42 AM
    Hi Scott,
    As I am not familiar with Network Solutions I looked at their website. I found the configuration instructions. Here is the url.
    Learn about POP and IMAP Email settings | Network Solutions
    It looks like they even provide the 'pass through' port number for SMTP traffic.
    06-04-13 08:54 AM
    Hi Scott,
    As I am not familiar with Network Solutions I looked at their website. I found the configuration instructions. Here is the url.
    Learn about POP and IMAP Email settings | Network Solutions
    It looks like they even provide the 'pass through' port number for SMTP traffic.
    Thanks for the info! We are currently with NetworkSolutions, but in a few months we'll be hosting our own Exchange Server, sort of my motivation for upgrading to a Q10.

- Scott
    06-04-13 09:06 AM
    Hi Scott,
    I don't think I answered you question.
    If I understand your post, you are using Network Solutions as your mail provider. Because they are providing your incoming (POP) and outgoing (SMTP) mail you should not need to deal with the SMTP 'pass through pot' issue.
    06-04-13 09:11 AM

First of all, most people using MS Exchange are not using those protocols to communicate with the Exchange server.

Secondly, whether you experience the issue depends on the firmware release on your BB10 device. Some have the problem, some do not.

Thanks for the info! We are currently with NetworkSolutions, but in a few months we'll be hosting our own Exchange Server, sort of my motivation for upgrading to a Q10.

Most people using MS Exchange connect to the server using either MAPI/RPC (dedicated Outlook desktop email client), via the web interface (Outlook Web Access/Outlook Web App) or via Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) for mobile clients not using the web client.

None of those scenarios would experience the issues described here.
    06-04-13 12:47 PM
    So does anyone on here have any idea why my pop3 account shows as "imap" on my email account setup page on my 9810? I am absolutely setup as a pop3 account ([email protected]) and all of my computers and past BB's have shown as pop3 which is how I set it up 2 yrs ago--and btw, its worked perfect all of these years and still does (9810 current). I actually wouldn't have thought about this for a minute until I read this thread in prep for the coming Q10 purchase.
    When I open edit on my 9810 setup under advanced, it shows my email server as" mail.xxx.com" and server type as "IMAP". port is 143 with no SSL checked (not required).
    I usually am the one trying to help others on here (on 9810 thread mostly) but this time some clarification would be greatly appreciated from any of you. Thanks a ton!
    Last edited by go1ndr; 06-04-13 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
    06-04-13 01:30 PM
    So does anyone on here have any idea why my pop3 account shows as "imap" on my email account setup page on my 9810? I am absolutely setup as a pop3 account ([email protected]) and all of my computers and past BB's have shown as pop3 which is how I set it up 2 yrs ago--and btw, its worked perfect all of these years and still does (9810 current). I actually wouldn't have thought about this for a minute until I read this thread in prep for the coming Q10 purchase.
    When I open edit on my 9810 setup under advanced, it shows my email server as" mail.xxx.com" and server type as "IMAP". port is 143 with no SSL checked (not required).
    I usually am the one trying to help others on here (on 9810 thread mostly) but this time some clarification would be greatly appreciated from any of you. Thanks a ton!

I think you are confused about what "POP" means.

The fact that you have an email address of "[email protected]" has nothing to do with the email retrieval protocol, which is what POP is.

If it says it is setup as IMAP and the port is 143, then you are using IMAP as a retrieval protocol.
    06-04-13 03:00 PM
    I use Network solutions and use the smtp assigned by them. No problems

Posted via CB10
    steinercat likes this.
    06-04-13 05:46 PM
    I think you are confused about what "POP" means.

The fact that you have an email address of "[email protected]" has nothing to do with the email retrieval protocol, which is what POP is.

If it says it is setup as IMAP and the port is 143, then you are using IMAP as a retrieval protocol.
    Ok, thanks for that info. I never understood the difference. What I don't understand is why my other devices all show pop3 as the service and not imap? What is the exact difference if you don't mind explaining it to me. I know a lot about OS's and upgrades, etc, but not this part--LOL--and thank you for replying!
    06-04-13 05:57 PM
51 123