Hi,

I want to make sure I understand the relationship between the entries I see in the Hub and the source of the entry (especially email), and what I should expect to happen when I read / delete in one or the other. I've tried a few experiments sending email to myself from a disposable address, but I still don't think I've got it straight.

As a concrete example, I've linked to a paid for account at fastmail.fm using IMAP; if I send myself email to this address, and reply from the hub, the incoming email appears in the list of hub messages, and the response I send from BB appears as part of the conversation on my web client.

Where it seems inconsistent to me is in the open / read status, and what I should expect when I perform a delete from the hub.

If I read an email in my web client, and then refresh the hub, the apparent read status doesn't seem to change in the hub. Is the read status I see related to the status of the hub notification message, rather than the email it's pointing to? Or am I just seeing some kind of latency / synch problem?

Similarly, if I long-press on an email entry and press delete, it disappears from the hub list, but isn't deleted from an IMAP perspective. Again, is my action being applied to the notification message and not meant to affect the underlying email?

By contrast, if I file an email into one of my sub-folders from the Hub on the Q10, that change is reflected instantly on the IMAP server itself.

Am I misunderstanding what to expect, or do I have some configuration awry somewhere?
    08-22-14 09:26 AM
    I don't have a Fastmail account, so I can't speak to that particular IMAP implementation, but will say that IMAP read/unread status IS communicated for at least some accounts.

For an IMAP account such as Gmail, read/unread, message filing is controled under Settings > Accounts > 9chosse your account). Scroll down to "Sync Interval". That's where you can have a number of options, from 5 minutes to Manual. If you choose manual, you have to literally refresh the account from within the Hub for the status on device to be updated on the server.

My Gmail accounts are set for 5 minutes, and work reliably. Messages are marked read/unread, files etc. just about 5 minutes exactly.

So, OP, I'd suggest checking the settings on your device first, then test again. If it still isn't syncing, go to the settings in the Fastmail web page and check what options are available there.
    Read status isn't communicated on imap. It is aware of what folder an email is in, though.

Also make sure you are set to delete on hub and on server.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 08:42 AM
    Yes the settings for that account specify "Delete on handheld and server"

I've just reset it to "Prompt" and I'll play around to see if it makes a difference.

Ta!

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 02:13 PM
    I don't have a Fastmail account, so I can't speak to that particular IMAP implementation, but will say that IMAP read/unread status IS communicated for at least some accounts.

For an IMAP account such as Gmail, read/unread, message filing is controled under Settings > Accounts > 9chosse your account). Scroll down to "Sync Interval". That's where you can have a number of options, from 5 minutes to Manual. If you choose manual, you have to literally refresh the account from within the Hub for the status on device to be updated on the server.

My Gmail accounts are set for 5 minutes, and work reliably. Messages are marked read/unread, files etc. just about 5 minutes exactly.

So, OP, I'd suggest checking the settings on your device first, then test again. If it still isn't syncing, go to the settings in the Fastmail web page and check what options are available there.
    08-24-14 12:31 PM
    Changing to confirm deletions appeared to make no difference, however I did have my synch interval set to 30 minutes and didn't wait long enough to see it take effect.

Part of the problem is likely my expectation - I'm treating synch interval as notify-me-of-new-email interval and assuming deletions will be handled immediately. I'll knock the period down to 5 mins and retest, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 03:08 PM
    Well a sort of partial success; the test email disappeared, but it took a *lot* longer than 5 minutes to make its way through.

I'll follow the suggestions and check server side settings / provider SLA to see if there'd any extra config / limits when accessing in this way, but I've never seen it previously.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 04:09 PM