Hi guys. I'm new here. Do you guys know the difference between each ratios when taking pictures using Q10? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 09:44 PM
    It's basically how your picture will appear. 1:1 gives you a square picture, like in Instagram. 4:3 is the aspect ratio that most digital cameras use, and standard TV as well. 16:9 is the widescreen aspect ratio, like in movies. Your pictures will be cropped differently depending on which you pick.
    ibeegee87 likes this.
    04-24-14 11:55 PM
    It's basically how your picture will appear. 1:1 gives you a square picture, like in Instagram. 4:3 is the aspect ratio that most digital cameras use, and standard TV as well. 16:9 is the widescreen aspect ratio, like in movies. Your pictures will be cropped differently depending on which you pick.
    So I assume 4:3 will have better quality compare to 1:1?

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 01:23 AM
    So I assume 4:3 will have better quality compare to 1:1?
    What's the question? All ratios have their concrete numbers of pixels. My Z30 reaches it's 8 mega pixels only in the 4:3 ratio, the others have less pixels because they are just cropped from this. But the quality doesn't change by cropping, the quality is exactly the same, in every ratio. A concrete item on the picture has exactly the same number of pixels in every ratio. This is something that people thinking in mega pixels sometimes don't understand.

BTW: You have the same effect when you zoom. Zooming means here nothing else than cropping. You don't get more pixels for a concrete item in the picture by this kind of zoom the very most mobile phone cameras have implemented. This is an important difference to having a real optical zoom objective.
    ibeegee87 likes this.
    04-25-14 01:59 AM
    What's the question? All ratios have their concrete numbers of pixels. My Z30 reaches it's 8 mega pixels only in the 4:3 ratio, the others have less pixels because they are just cropped from this. But the quality doesn't change by cropping, the quality is exactly the same, in every ratio. A concrete item on the picture has exactly the same number of pixels in every ratio. This is something that people thinking in mega pixels sometimes don't understand.

BTW: You have the same effect when you zoom. Zooming means here nothing else than cropping. You don't get more pixels for a concrete item in the picture by this kind of zoom the very most mobile phone cameras have implemented. This is an important difference to having a real optical zoom objective.
    I see! I thought if I took picture with ratio of 1:1, it will be leSs pixels = less quality. Thank you for your clarification

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 04:30 AM
    It would be the same quality.

Exactly the same.

CDN
    04-25-14 10:53 AM
    I see! I thought if I took picture with ratio of 1:1, it will be leSs pixels = less quality. Thank you for your clarification
    And if you take a photo at 4:3, it will have to be zoomed to fill your Q10 screen, leaving some of it out. But 4:3 is the ratio that makes maximum use of the camera's capacity.
    04-25-14 11:35 AM