Hi all,

I have a couple a lot of questions about the Blackberry I am planning on purchasing. First off, I am currently living in South Korea, and it turns out the Q10 won't be actually be sold in Korea. So, I will be getting an unlocked version either from ebay or Amazon. The problem is, I don't really know the process of doing this. The three cellphone service providers I am okay with using are SKT, Olleh, and LG. Preferably I would like to use the SKT network, but I am unclear of what I need to do in order to make everything work okay. I will be exclusively be using this phone within South Korea. I have been using a Samsung Galaxy S1 (yeah, its a relic) for years now, and am looking forward to a much needed upgrade. Don't want a Galaxy and iPhone for various reasons.

Anyways questions.

-What model of the Q10 should I get for it to properly work in South Korea?
    -Can I just bring the sim-less phone to the cellphone service company place and the sign up for a simcard there separately?
    -Is there anything that will not be running correctly because it is an unlocked international version?
    -I keep reading about how many people are unhappy with the Q10, but the problems in general seemed minor and generally easily fixable with a new patch. Asking as a new person to Blackberry, how is the tech support and updates?
    -How is the video playback? I love to browse youtube and download the occasional movie. I don't need anything too special, just does it display the image in a decent fashion?
    -I want a case. Can you recommend me a nice one?
    07-11-13 11:20 AM
    Hi all,

I have a couple a lot of questions about the Blackberry I am planning on purchasing. First off, I am currently living in South Korea, and it turns out the Q10 won't be actually be sold in Korea. So, I will be getting an unlocked version either from ebay or Amazon. The problem is, I don't really know the process of doing this. The three cellphone service providers I am okay with using are SKT, Olleh, and LG. Preferably I would like to use the SKT network, but I am unclear of what I need to do in order to make everything work okay. I will be exclusively be using this phone within South Korea. I have been using a Samsung Galaxy S1 (yeah, its a relic) for years now, and am looking forward to a much needed upgrade. Don't want a Galaxy and iPhone for various reasons.

Anyways questions.

-Can I just bring the sim-less phone to the cellphone service company place and the sign up for a simcard there separately?
    -Is there anything that will not be running correctly because it is an unlocked international version?
    -I keep reading about how many people are unhappy with the Q10, but the problems in general seemed minor and generally easily fixable with a new patch. Asking as a new person to Blackberry, how is the tech support and updates?
    -How is the video playback? I love to browse youtube and download the occasional movie. I don't need anything too special, just does it display the image in a decent fashion?
    1. Find out which bands your carrier uses, you will likely need a SQN100-3 or 5
    2. Yes you can
    3. As long as you have a data plan everything will run fine
    4. Tech support is best if you come to the forums and ask. Some people will be rude about it, and some of us won't be
    5. Image is a little wonky for video playback on a 720x720 1:1 ratio screen (but not bad either)
    6. Crackberry Crunk Case
    pansi likes this.
    07-11-13 11:27 AM
    7 minute response and on target!
    07-11-13 11:39 AM
    Hi all,

Anyways questions.

Hi there I use my Q10 in Nigeria:, mine is the SIM free (international) UK version purchased before the official launch locally. The Q10 works great, stay close to the forums and get lots of help from people like Kris up there. International version should work everywhere. Video playback is great you can download a couple of free YouTube players that work on the Q10, Fastube is highly recommended, the browser shortcut on the phone works fine too. For the case I use the official BB Q10 leather pouch which works fine for me. Make sure you get a screen protector also.

Now for the BBRY service, I'm not sure how it works out there, but all our networks now support BB10, so you can buy monthly BB10 data bundles. Its taken a while for them to optimize their system for BB10 though, just starting to work well now. You might need to talk to people in your network to get you configuration details and if they support BB10.
    pansi likes this.
    07-11-13 11:43 AM
    1. Find out which bands your carrier uses, you will likely need a SQN100-3 or 5
    2. Yes you can
    3. As long as you have a data plan everything will run fine
    4. Tech support is best if you come to the forums and ask. Some people will be rude about it, and some of us won't be
    5. Image is a little wonky for video playback on a 720x720 1:1 ratio screen (but not bad either)
    6. Crackberry Crunk Case
    Thank you for the prompt reply...
    Here are the details for the bands (?) Don't really understand what that means. But here is what wikipedia says about it.
    Buying a Blackberry Q10 from South Korea, and some general questions about the Q10-skt.jpg
    What are the benefits of 4G? I know that question sounds stupid, but as the last phone I've used was a Galaxy S1, I've never used the network. I know its faster, but how much faster does it feel?
    And the video playback doesn't lag right?

Ah, I feel so clueless and lost. Thanks for putting up with the dumb questions.

7 minute response and on target!
    Sheesh people here are fast. I thought I would have to wait a day.

Hi there I use my Q10 in Nigeria:, mine is the SIM free (international) UK version purchased before the official launch locally. The Q10 works great, stay close to the forums and get lots of help from people like Kris up there. International version should work everywhere. Video playback is great you can download a couple of free YouTube players that work on the Q10, Fastube is highly recommended, the browser shortcut on the phone works fine too. For the case I use the official BB Q10 leather pouch which works fine for me. Make sure you get a screen protector also.

Now for the BBRY service, I'm not sure how it works out there, but all our networks now support BB10, so you can buy monthly BB10 data bundles. Its taken a while for them to optimize their system for BB10 though, just starting to work well now. You might need to talk to people in your network to get you configuration details and if they support BB10.
    Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely check out fastube when I get it.
    BBRY monthly data bundles? Err... can you explain what those are and what they are for?
    Last edited by pansi; 07-11-13 at 11:52 AM. Reason: combining posts
    07-11-13 11:44 AM
    Thank you for the prompt reply...
    Here are the details for the bands (?) Don't really understand what that means. But here is what wikipedia says about it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skt.jpg 
Views:	1157 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	181523
    What are the benefits of 4G? I know that question sounds stupid, but as the last phone I've used was a Galaxy S1, I've never used the network. I know its faster, but how much faster does it feel?
    And the video playback doesn't lag right?

Ah, I feel so clueless and lost. Thanks for putting up with the dumb questions.

Sheesh people here are fast. I thought I would have to wait a day.

Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely check out fastube when I get it.
    BBRY monthly data bundles? Err... can you explain what those are and what they are for?
    BB10 does not work on the BIS platform so for BB10 you have BB10 data bundles. I'm on a 3GB/Month bundle which costs like $18.60. You have other bundles like 260MB/Month or the daily or weekly plans. Its a data bundle because its data and voice, where you get highly discounted voice calls and sms rates.
    pansi likes this.
    07-11-13 04:49 PM
    Hi all,

Anyways questions.

glad to hear there's love for BB10 from South Korea!!! BBRY, are you listening??

i think Kris has answered your questions, all of them. as you are using SKT then the SQN-3 will do good for you but if you wanna use Olleh then the SQN-3/5 will be your choice.

as for the problems, this forum (particularly on the leaked OS section) has got lots and lots of leaked OS circling around. if you can spend just 10 minutes going through the very first page of the thread to pay attention on how to download, to back up & to install that OS onto your Q10 you'll be more than just fine. the latest OS 10.1.0.4543 gives such a smooth performance for the Q10. in fact the OS 10.2 will arrive later this year too, with tons of cool features that will put BB10 to be on a par to Android 4.2.2/4.3 Jelly Bean & iOS 7 & Windows Phone 8 down to the core.

so, welcome to BB10!
    pansi likes this.
    07-12-13 02:24 AM
    From what I understand, Korea sells all phones with fixed plans and sell it locked. I'm not sure if u r able to get the Sim on its own.
    Better check with the carrier. If u can get the gsm itself then sqn-3 is the best bet

Posted via CB10
    pansi likes this.
    07-12-13 03:37 AM
    Thank you so much. Thing is, I just decided that I would rather get a Z-10... I was torn between the two and what I've been reading makes the Z-10 seem like something really impressive that I would love to try. Sorry but what model would work for the z10 in Korea?
    07-13-13 10:23 PM
    Hi there,

Did you finally get the Z10. I am also thinking to get the Q10 in Korea, but am not sure if there is any data plan working with it?
    08-01-13 03:06 AM
    Have you brought the Q or Z10 to Korea and gotten it on the network? SKT seems like the only one who will let you bring the unlocked phone over and register with their service.

None of the local carriers have any plans to offer the Q10 and only SK Telecom has a Blackberry in their current lineup. I want the Q10 in Korea as well so I hope it worked for you!
    08-15-13 08:57 PM
    Have you sorted your BB10s in Korea and everything is working fine?

I am moving to Seoul in few months and I would love to bring my Q10 with me. I can't imagine better phone. Despite some minor flaws I think there is nothing even remotely close to it, as I need physical keyboard and a powerful device.

I know it might be tough to have it in South Korea if it is not supported by carriers - no automatic updates, problem with selecting a monthly plan, also I use it for in-car navigation but so far I have not heard about any navigation for Q10 that works in Korea. But I will try anyway. If you have any tips - I would appreciate them very much!
    01-18-14 08:34 AM
    Late reply and not much of an answer, but I will get my unlocked -3 next week and register it with SKT. Depending on how it goes, I will let you know.
    06-26-14 07:40 AM
    Took all of 25 minutes but the Q10 is on SKTelecom with 4G. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

Posted via CB10
    Korepab likes this.
    07-07-14 01:18 AM
    Bravo for wanting to run a Q10 in the heart of Samsung country!
    You will find the Q10 an excellent device. It has the traditional BlackBerry keyboard with a much more capable OS than the previous BBOS7 models. In fact I'm not sure why there is all the fuss about the upcoming BB "Classic" with the tool belt, as I don't see how it adds all that much except some visual familiarity.Only down side my mind is the smallish size screen won the Q10 hen compared to full touch models (although the Q20/Classic will be a bit bigger) , but if you a physical keyboard lover it is a known and accepted tradeoff.
    07-07-14 03:29 AM
    The more I use it the more I hate myself for not getting the Q10 earlier. I switched from an iPhone 4S to enhance my life with the Q...so I am not overly concerned with screen size or I would have gone the Z route.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 08:33 AM
    Ot, can you say it's more than 90% samsung / Korean phone users there?

BBQ10
    07-13-14 08:43 AM
    Hello.

In addition to all the good advice, I offer the following.

I used to use an unlocked BB9900 in Seoul when I oversaw Asia for our group. The phone was purchased in HK, Vodafone, now Smartone. Never an issue in Korea, but remember to check the bands.

Also, and this is important: you must register your phone with your provider, in my case SKTelecom. I had to leave the phone for a day while it was inspected. This may have changed, but if not, you will need to provide your passport, and ideally a proof of purchase if available. I was told by our team, and it was the IT that did the legwork, this is to ensure the phone is NOT associated with North Korea. I thought they were joking, but the team never changed their story.

All the best.

P.S. Have a Q10 and Z30 - both great. Just depends what works for you.
    07-13-14 09:27 AM
    Ed Gar,

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/14/...just-14-share/

Clearly a home field advantage for Samsung and LG.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 01:13 AM