Hello everyone,

I would like some advice on buying a Blackberry Q10 or to get an android (I know the comments might contain bias but would like a balanced opinion).

The questions I have are:

1. How is the BlackBerry Q10 battery life and build quality? I have heard from various reviews that the battery life isn't that good

2. Should I get a Blackberry? I will be using the phone for personal use, does this make me not Blackberry's demographic? Would like to hear from people using their BB for personal use.

3. Benefits of having a BB over an android phone?

4. How secure and stable is the OS now?

5. Any good apps in Blackberry World (free and paid)? (Links if possible)

6. How is the screen? Is it too small? Perfect for messaging but not so good when watching media?

6. If I use the memory card for music, can I play the music through the music app? Also would reading the memory card have an significant impact on battery life?

7. Accessories - would I just need: (BodyGuardz UltraTough Clear Full Body for BlackBerry Q10 | BlackBerry Protective Films | ShopCrackBerry) and a memory card (SanDisk 64GB Ultra microSDXC | BlackBerry Memory Cards). Would it be wise to get an extra battery? (BlackBerry Battery Charger Bundle for Q10 | BlackBerry Batteries | ShopCrackBerry). Any other accessories others can recommend?

8. Is Blackberry Link good with transferring media to the media card and the phone? Is Blackberry Link easy to learn?

9. How is your Blackberry Q10 experience? Was it difficult at the beginning but afterwards became better?

Sorry if it is a bit long.

Thank you
    04-05-14 01:59 AM
    1) The Q10 has a beefy battery and a screen which is both smaller in size and uses AMOLED technology. Both will reduce power consumption. Like any smartphone though - battery use depends on how much you use your phone. As for build quality - the actual phone is sturdy and strong with few users reporting defects of the phone body or screen. Do note however that the double-type issue is more common than it should be. See the thread in the Q10 section to learn more about it.

2) Q10 is more oriented towards communication. Typing, texting, email, chats, that kind of stuff. If you are heavy into media consumption than you might want to reconsider the Q10 for a full-screen BB phone or another brand completely. If you do a lot of communication then you won't find anything better.

3) Watch some Youtube vids about how the BB10 OS differs from Android and you should learn pretty quickly how they are different and which sounds right for you.

4) BB10 employs several encryption services by connecting off-phone to a BB server. As for phone security itself - you won't find a phone which can be locked down as much as a BB phone. BB offers device encryption and several innovative ways of locking the phone so nobody can gain access to your personal data unless they delete it all first. Stability-wise it has improved greatly with recent updates and I would say it is comparable to most Android phones on the market today.

5) Hop onto the BB world website and see for yourself! Do note that BB can run Android apps as well so your choices are not as limited as you might think.

6) Music player reads music from memory card yes. Impact on battery life would be minimal to non-existent.

7) Accessories are 100% dependent on you. Are you clumsy and tend to drop your phone? Are you careful enough to use a naked phone? Do you tend to drain your phones during the day or do you leave them with full batteries when you get home from work/school? Such choices are for you to make - not much we can do here. I would recommend a memory card though.

8) BB Link is very easy to install and use. Once you have it set up, you can wireleslsy move files between your phone and computer using WiFi. You can access your phone and memory card wirelesly as if they are just another hardrive on your computer. It is very fast and efficient.

9) I don't have a Q10 as I have a Z10 but I can answer this with that being considered. The most tricky part is learning how the gestures work. The actual workings of the OS are not that different from Android or iOS. If you've never used a physical phone keyboard before then that will take some learning too.
    Zac_AUS and Denny_Crane like this.
    04-05-14 02:28 AM
    Hello everyone,

I would like some advice on buying a Blackberry Q10 or to get an android (I know the comments might contain bias but would like a balanced opinion).

The questions I have are:

1. How is the BlackBerry Q10 battery life and build quality? I have heard from various reviews that the battery life isn't that good

2. Should I get a Blackberry? I will be using the phone for personal use, does this make me not Blackberry's demographic? Would like to hear from people using their BB for personal use.

3. Benefits of having a BB over an android phone?

4. How secure and stable is the OS now?

5. Any good apps in Blackberry World (free and paid)? (Links if possible)

6. How is the screen? Is it too small? Perfect for messaging but not so good when watching media?

6. If I use the memory card for music, can I play the music through the music app? Also would reading the memory card have an significant impact on battery life?

7. Accessories - would I just need: (BodyGuardz UltraTough Clear Full Body for BlackBerry Q10 | BlackBerry Protective Films | ShopCrackBerry) and a memory card (SanDisk 64GB Ultra microSDXC | BlackBerry Memory Cards). Would it be wise to get an extra battery? (BlackBerry Battery Charger Bundle for Q10 | BlackBerry Batteries | ShopCrackBerry). Any other accessories others can recommend?

8. Is Blackberry Link good with transferring media to the media card and the phone? Is Blackberry Link easy to learn?

9. How is your Blackberry Q10 experience? Was it difficult at the beginning but afterwards became better?

Sorry if it is a bit long.

Thank you
    1) Battery Life is not dissimilar to my old 9900, but not as good as the 9700 - I am a 'heavy' user and easily get through a whole day of constant calls, messages, wi-fi and a bit of browsing and apps (I DO turn 4G off when I don't need it, as 4G still seems to be the biggest drain on the battery). On holiday abroad last week, when I hardly made any calls, but did a lot more browsing, the phone just about lasted 2 days (note: 4G was turned off). Build Quality: my first Q10 had a 'squidgy' space bar - my carrier (EE UK) couriered me a replacement the next day (which I have been using ever since) - I do drop my phone (usually onto carpet) quite a lot and it is still working fine with no signs of damage - the Q10 is a robust and sturdy device

2) I use the Q10 for both business and personal use

3) Security, security, security - no Malware!

4) More stable than friend's Androids (though their issues may be down to dodgy apps they have downloaded)

5) Depends what Apps you want - the only one I am really missing is for my Personal Banking (Co-op UK)

6a) I find all phone screens too small for media - so I bridge to my PlayBook for a bigger screen

6b) My music is stored on my SD Card and it works fine. The impact on the battery from playing music is absolutely negligible (I play music through external Bluetooth Speakers all the time)

7) Other than my PlayBook Charger (more oomph) and a BlackBerry Car Charger (the new more powerful one) I don't have any accessories

8) Link can be a bit fiddly and for some reason my phones and PlayBooks keep on intermittently dropping the connection when I use Link

9) It was a bit strange at first (ex-9900 and PlayBook) but the gestures are in fact really really simple - someone on CrackBerry posted a short YouTube video of how to use the gestures (this video is so much better than anything created by BlackBerry) - I suggest you search on CrackBerry to find the video

Hope this helps
    Zac_AUS and hlg8888 like this.
    04-05-14 07:07 AM
    For the experience I recommend going in and doing all the demos it helped me learn the phone while I was waiting for it and
    gives you a taste of the experience. I would also suggest going in a store and playing with one. Keep in mind that getting used to the gestures in bb10 will take a bit of time.

BlackBerry Q10 Support - How To Demo BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone Help 101
    Zac_AUS likes this.
    04-05-14 07:58 AM
    1) Battery Life is not dissimilar to my old 9900, but not as good as the 9700 - I am a 'heavy' user and easily get through a whole day of constant calls, messages, wi-fi and a bit of browsing and apps (I DO turn 4G off when I don't need it, as 4G still seems to be the biggest drain on the battery). On holiday abroad last week, when I hardly made any calls, but did a lot more browsing, the phone just about lasted 2 days (note: 4G was turned off). Build Quality: my first Q10 had a 'squidgy' space bar - my carrier (EE UK) couriered me a replacement the next day (which I have been using ever since) - I do drop my phone (usually onto carpet) quite a lot and it is still working fine with no signs of damage - the Q10 is a robust and sturdy device
    I also leave LTE disabled. But I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the first comment where you compared the Q10's battery to the 9900's battery. The 9900 has a 1230 mAh battery whereas the Q10 has a 2100 mAh battery. And numbers aside, I use both devices and can say from personal experience that the Q10 almost doubles that amount of use I get out of a single charge. Night and day to compare those two.
    Zac_AUS likes this.
    04-05-14 03:14 PM
    I also leave LTE disabled. But I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the first comment where you compared the Q10's battery to the 9900's battery. The 9900 has a 1230 mAh battery whereas the Q10 has a 2100 mAh battery. And numbers aside, I use both devices and can say from personal experience that the Q10 almost doubles that amount of use I get out of a single charge. Night and day to compare those two.
    Interesting that our battery experiences are so different. I always leave Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on - I wonder if this is the difference?

To clarify a little:
    • when using the phones in a normal business day - I find my Q10 (with 4G turned off) has similar battery life to my old 9900 (when the 9900 was new - not when the battery 'fell off a cliff' after about 16 months)
    • when NOT using the phones (eg abroad on holiday or at the weekend - 3G turned on, but minimal calling and messaging) - the 9900 lasted an awful lot longer than my Q10 did last week (when I was abroad on holiday)

Conclusion:
    • my Q10 has far greater battery drain when not being used pro-actively

Other:
    • my Q10 battery life is much better nowadays than it was 7 months ago - I assume this is due to the OS upgrades being better optimised to reduce power consumption (I'm on the standard latest OS - I don't install OS leaks)
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 04-06-14 at 02:03 PM.
    04-06-14 09:13 AM
    You have a similar configuration to me. I leave LTE off, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on all the time. I charge my device every day as I'm a heavy user. With heavy browsing and messaging my 9900 would rarely last a day, where with my Q10 it's rare that it doesn't last a full day. With my 9900 I actually carried an extra battery with me and often had to use it. Interesting that your experience is so different because there were boat loads of threads on the 9900's lackluster battery life. It's partly because the device is so thin and they had to go with such a small battery.
    04-06-14 12:50 PM