I got my Q10 recently. Very happy with it (running 10.2.0.1443). I always used a holster with my BB, so I bought one for my Q10. Generally happy, although there appear to be no holster profiles in the notifications... BTW: Notifications suck comparing to my old 9700

However, what surprised (and annoyed) me recently is that apparently the buttons (including the power button) are not blocked when in holster
    The phone gets locked, screen is off, when putting it in the holster, but the button keep working... I discovered it after a few times the phone went dead in the holster. First I thought it was a battery, but it seemed find after power-up. I checked today, and if you press the power button longer when in holster, the phone will turn off... This is a bummer. It never happened to me with 9700

Is this by (very poor) design or could be changed somewhere?

Kszys.
    09-09-13 09:16 AM
    the holster that you got, is a blackberry original holster?

If not, then it may be that the holster does not have the magnetic bits to support holster sleep function.
    09-09-13 09:43 AM
    What holster are you using.

Post a picture? Maybe the one you are using does not have the magnet in it
    09-09-13 09:44 AM
    I got my Q10 recently. Very happy with it (running 10.2.0.1443). I always used a holster with my BB, so I bought one for my Q10. Generally happy, although there appear to be no holster profiles in the notifications... BTW: Notifications suck comparing to my old 9700

However, what surprised (and annoyed) me recently is that apparently the buttons (including the power button) are not blocked when in holster
    The phone gets locked, screen is off, when putting it in the holster, but the button keep working... I discovered it after a few times the phone went dead in the holster. First I thought it was a battery, but it seemed find after power-up. I checked today, and if you press the power button longer when in holster, the phone will turn off... This is a bummer. It never happened to me with 9700

Is this by (very poor) design or could be changed somewhere?

Kszys.
    Not sure if it's the build you're on but check under Device Password scroll to the bottom and toggle on Lock Device When Holstered.
    I'm on 10.1.0.4200 and I use the genuine BlackBerry holster with the red stitch on the side.
    HTH.
    Buttons not locked in holster!?-img_00000220.png

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 10:42 AM
    Thanks for the responses. The holster is a Leather model by Terapin. It does have a magnet and it locks the device. Previously, I have not used the device password, but I just turned it on as suggested. The phone gets locked when put in the holster and I have to enter the password to unlock it.

Nevertheless, it does not solve the problem. Locking the device does not disable the power key. You can test yourself. While in holster, or after taking it out (without entering the password) it is still possible to turn the phone off by holding the power button!

Clearly this should be fixed!

Cheers,
    Krzysztof.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 12:59 PM
    I think the buttons (excluding the keyboard) have always kept working in any holster in any BB in order to enable one to silence a call, raise/lower music/call volume when using headset, etc.

Now... if by 'buttons' you also mean the keyboard keys, then that's definitely an issue. Otherwise... who cares if you can turn it off by deliberately pressing (and holding) the power button while in the holster... shouldn't the holster sort of mechanically prevent this from happening accidentally anyway (by encasing/protecting the device)?
    09-09-13 01:11 PM
    Sorry bud, there's nothing more frustrating that having a problem that seems so logical to fix and yet so ridiculously overlooked. Holsters have been a problem since the Q10 and Z10 launched. Put it in one way and it covers the LED notifier, but put it in the other way and ear-phone jack is covered. I assure you that you can find tons of threads on here that will help you resolve your problem. Unfortunately, and I mean this in the kindest of ways with no sarcasm at all, most responders will tell you to simply slide it in your holster without pushing the power button down. Sorry that's not the helpful answer your looking for. It's just one of those things you have to get use to. I have a Z10 for personal and Q10 for work, both holstered and it's been a few months since I've accidentally powered down...good luck!

Verizon Q10...posted from Philadelphia
    09-09-13 01:18 PM
    I'm curious. When the device is placed in your holster how would the power button be pressed excessively to cause it to go off?

I've been using a holster with my Z10 and I've never experienced this. I'll be using a Q10 and holster later this week. I wouldn't expect it to 'power' off either...

Posted via Navi's Z10...
    09-09-13 01:44 PM
    At least someone shares my concern To be honest, I do not know, if the power button was disabled in the case of old BB. Clearly however, this never happened to me then.

The power button on Q10 is so big that I can reasonably easily press it through the holster. I tried and it is not difficult at all. This caneasily happen in crowded places, or when carring something. I do not see any need to have this button enabled, when holstered, hence it should be disabled.

Is there a place to submit bug reports to BlackBerry? This could be fixed along the issues with (the lack of) holster profile, or more fine grained notifications settings, which I so much loved in 9700.

I really like a lof of features of BB10, but there is room for improvement - we just have to make sure that it reaches BlackBerry before the company disappears, gets sold, or whatever

Cheers,
    Kszys.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 01:51 PM
    So you honestly accidentally (an regularly)press and 'hold for 3 seconds' the lock button while inserting your Q10 into the holster? Maybe the issue is with the holster...

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 02:44 PM
    Ok unless I'm missing something, the power button does become disabled with my Q10 in the BlackBerry Swivel Holster.

The pic I posted is the setting I use. When I take the Q10 out of its holster I do not have to enter the password to unlock it.
    Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 03:04 PM
    No -It is not while putting it in the holster. It happen a couple of times during the last week, while the phone was already in the holster by simply pressing it against something for more than 3 sec.

If others say that the power button gets disabled in holster - maybe it is a bug in 10.2.0.1443 that I am running?

Kszys.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 05:11 PM
    Hi Folks,

since last week I have the same issue, power button turns off my Z10 in Holster, I make some Research and I find out with Version 10.1. ... it is working and with 10.2. (new Hub) you will have this Problem. From my Point of view a bug in 10.2.

But I dont know how to Report this issue or I even did not find any other solution than using 10.1. but I really like the new Hub so ...

br wikrie
    11-01-13 04:15 AM