So I was in the process of replacing the housing on 2 Q10's (one black, one white). Did the first one (black) without issue, the 2nd one (white) the keyboard lights up, the red led will flash on, and the screen will stay black while the phone boots and turns on. I can call the white q10 from the black q10 and it will vibrate, but the screen on the white q10 won't turn on.

So I thought it was a screen problem, untill....

I took out the motherboard from the white Q10 that has the display issue, put it into the fully working black Q10, and had the SAME issue. Even though I KNOW the screen works, no matter the combo, the motherboard from the white q10 won't output the display.

I unplugged all ribbon cables and plugged them back in carefully.... the only thing I can think off is that I damaged the connector for the display on the white q10's motherboard.

any ideas / thoughts? I'm on the sear h for a broken q10 with working motherboard currently, hoping a new motherboard fixes my issues.
    06-10-14 10:33 AM
    So I was in the process of replacing the housing on 2 Q10's (one black, one white). Did the first one (black) without issue, the 2nd one (white) the keyboard lights up, the red led will flash on, and the screen will stay black while the phone boots and turns on. I can call the white q10 from the black q10 and it will vibrate, but the screen on the white q10 won't turn on.

I took out the motherboard from the white Q10 that has the display issue, put it into the fully working black Q10, and had the SAME issue. Even though I KNOW the screen works, no matter the combo, the motherboard from the white q10 won't output the display.

I unplugged all ribbon cables and plugged them back in carefully.... the only thing I can think off is that I damaged the connector for the display on the white q10's motherboard.

any ideas / thoughts? I'm on the sear h for a broken q10 with working motherboard currently, hoping a new motherboard fixes my issues.
    have you tried ebay?
    06-10-14 11:20 AM
    have you tried ebay?
    That's where I am now, I was ABOUT to buy a motherboard from the UK, but then noticed it comes without a PIN and is a non functioning motherboard for parts... had no idea they even made those.

I'm looking at spending 170-200 for a used Q10 from verizon. I'm just hoping that a new motherboard will fix my issue!
    06-10-14 11:49 AM
    That's where I am now, I was ABOUT to buy a motherboard from the UK, but then noticed it comes without a PIN and is a non functioning motherboard for parts... had no idea they even made those.

I'm looking at spending 170-200 for a used Q10 from verizon. I'm just hoping that a new motherboard will fix my issue!
    witch Q10 are you looking for ill have a look too if you like?
    FCSC likes this.
    06-10-14 01:04 PM

I'd advice you to search for a damaged Q10. Finding a full working motheboard is really hard.

Z30'ing it!
    FCSC likes this.
    06-10-14 01:51 PM
    witch Q10 are you looking for ill have a look too if you like?
    Doesn't matter to me as long as it works on verizon.

Right now the best deal i can find is a white verizon q10 with a cracked but working screen for 160, about an hr away from me, so I think it'll be the best I can find.

I figure if the device is running, can charge via usb, screen turns on, the motherboard is good, (I guess i could test hdmi out as well.....) I should probably run blackberry virtual expert on it also right?
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    06-10-14 03:28 PM
    when I bricked my Q there were no motherboard's around that I could find. I was swtiching my housing as well,
    from black to white i even sent it off hoping they could repair it no luck. now the repair shop has my new housing and screen and will not return it. I will not pay them just to return my phone parts.
    06-10-14 05:25 PM
    when I bricked my Q there were no motherboard's around that I could find. I was swtiching my housing as well,
    from black to white i even sent it off hoping they could repair it no luck. now the repair shop has my new housing and screen and will not return it. I will not pay them just to return my phone parts.
    thats really rough, sorry to hear that.

I'm lucky enough that I was able to power it on, connect to link to preform a full back up, so its not bricked... just not sending out its display, since I know the display still works, very fusterating.

I was going from black housing to gold and it went fine,then went to do the same for my girlfriends white q10, and messed up somewhere along the line
    06-10-14 06:19 PM
    Hold up before you buy a new mobo. When I worked on some previous q10's- what you described was similar to what I saw when a connector ribbon was not fully seated. Disassemble and re-seat the ribbons. I would do this a few times before I called it a dead mobo.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    Deanig_12 and topherparker like this.
    06-10-14 07:18 PM
    Hold up before you buy a new mobo. When I worked on some previous q10's- what you described was similar to what I saw when a connector ribbon was not fully seated. Disassemble and re-seat the ribbons. I would do this a few times before I called it a dead mobo.

i've done it a bunch of times but it doesn't hurt to keep trying. Do you have any idea if i might need to use a cleaner or something?
    06-10-14 08:43 PM
    I doubt a cleaner would be necessary - there's really nothing to get gummed up. Maybe check the ribbon cables and make sure there are no broken teeth or whatever.

06-11-14 05:12 AM
    I looked carefully at the ribbon cabbles and no teeth seem to be broken and same story on the motherboard.. but there has to be...

I've redone the connections over 30 times at this point with no success, tomorrow morning i'm picking up a used q10 and cannibalizing it.. fingers crossed it works
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    06-11-14 05:40 PM
    I'm experiencing this exact same thing right now. FCSC did you resolve? If so, what did you do?
    07-11-14 01:32 AM
    I had a similar problem when changing a motherboard. It arose when I cleaned some of the sticky tape residue off the motherboard heat sinks. I looked closely at the keyboard ribbon cable and noticed there were exposed contacts in the ribbon itself. My conclusion was the sticky tape was conductive and needed to complete the circuit.

I went to a local PC shop and purchased a small tube of silver heat transfer paste used for mounting heat syncs to CPUS. I then applied a dab of this to all the spots where ribbon cables and heat syncs were normally stuck to the CPU. I don't know which was the culprit, but it may have been the keyboard ribbon cable or the two tabs on the back that stick to the back of the motherboard and are part of the heat sync copper foil sticker at the base of the battery compartment. If you take the keyboard out, there is also the small rectangular copper foil sticker that goes between the keyboard the display circuit board,

I made this repair about two weeks ago and the phone has worked fine since even out in the sun on very hot days.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 06:39 AM
    I'm experiencing this exact same thing right now. FCSC did you resolve? If so, what did you do?
    I resolved it by buying a q10 with a cracked screen and harvesting the motherboard from it :/

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 09:29 AM