Okay, I'm confused. The t key is ultra sensitive and I read it's a common hardware problem with 2 month old Q10s.

I called my provider (Sprint) and they said $75 to troubleshoot/fix it. If they can't fix it, then they'll replace it with more than likely a refurbished Q10. They said I could call BlackBerry and use the manufacturer's warranty.

BlackBerry said warranties are only good if you buy directly from BlackBerry.

So if I want the sensitive T key fixed, I'll have to drive 40 miles to the Sprint store. It seems that the manufacturer's warranty is worthless. Is that right? I want the key fix since it's slowing down my typing.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 10:05 PM
    I think you were given wrong information but I am not familiar with your provider or on BlackBerry cutbacks. I would call back and speak to someone else

Q10 with 10.2.1.1925 Leak Installed
    01-14-14 10:52 PM
    Okay, I'm confused. The t key is ultra sensitive and I read it's a common hardware problem with 2 month old Q10s.

I called my provider (Sprint) and they said $75 to troubleshoot/fix it. If they can't fix it, then they'll replace it with more than likely a refurbished Q10. They said I could call BlackBerry and use the manufacturer's warranty.

BlackBerry said warranties are only good if you buy directly from BlackBerry.

So if I want the sensitive T key fixed, I'll have to drive 40 miles to the Sprint store. It seems that the manufacturer's warranty is worthless. Is that right? I want the key fix since it's slowing down my typing.

Posted via CB10
    Who did you buy it from? If you bought it from Sprint, I'd call them again and ask for a manager.
    This is how it works with AT&T: if the phone is bought from them or an authorized retailer, then AT&T is responsible for handling the one year warranty. If it's bought from any where else, whoever its bought from handles warranties.

~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~ Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.1055
    01-15-14 12:19 AM
    I bought it from Sprint directly over the phone. The sales rep told me if the Q10 malfunctions while under warranty then they will send me a new one but i'll have to pay $200, which they'll refund when they get the old unit back. The tech support reps I talked to last night said since I didn't buy their insurance, they'll charge $75 to fix it or to get a replacement which will probably be a refurbished unit. The thing is Sprint's warranty of the refurbished unit has no expiration date. BlackBerry said it's up to the service provider as per the terms and conditions of sale. Pretty much BlackBerry said "we can't help you because you didn't buy it from us."

Hell I'd bite the bullet and pay $75 for a replacement but if they don't find anything wrong with the old unit, they'll charge me full sales price for the replacement ($500). I can imagine the tech saying "the t key is sensitive but it works so there's nothing wrong." And I end up paying full price. It feels I'm getting screwed by Sprint and ignored by BlackBerry.

I'll call the Sprint store/repair center (an hour away) and see if they'll be humane towards my situation. I really don't want to make the trip out there but it looks like I got no choice.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:09 AM
    %^&!! Blackberry said I send the device to Sprint, they send the device to Blackberry, then Blackberry sends the fixed device or a replacement to Sprint and then they send it to me. Sprint said they are only provide the wireless service, the warranty is handled by Blackberry. But, Sprint said for $75, they will exchange the phone for a "refurbished" phone, which really means a Q10 from their stock. I suspect Sprint is trying to clean out their stock of Q10s.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Q10, but the super sensitive T key on the keyboard ruins the typing experience. The local Sprint store doesn't stock Blackberries, so no direct exchange or repair, since they don't carry parts. But they'll do an exchange for $75. Blackberry is adamant about the end user going through the service provider. I spoke to Blackberry rep Rose and her supervisor Nathan. This runaround Ping-Pong is awful. I just might pay the $75 and get a replacement from Sprint or should I just buy the tools and replace the keyboard myself? (I wonder which is more cost effective...). Anyone??
    01-15-14 12:07 PM
    It is highway robbery to charge someone $75 to replace a phone that is still under warranty that has a defect. The replacement should be free of charge and BBRY should make sure that happens.
    01-15-14 12:15 PM
    Wow terrible customer service. Pretty sure the device comes with a one year warranty which Sprint is responsible for. I would keep calling and complaining and hopefully escalate to higher management. If you have to pay the $75 so be it but here in the great white north you are covered from manufacturer defects for one year.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 12:21 PM
    I bought it from Sprint directly over the phone. The sales rep told me if the Q10 malfunctions while under warranty then they will send me a new one but i'll have to pay $200, which they'll refund when they get the old unit back...

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand, they've already told you how the warranty program for Sprint works. AT&T does it in a similar way, they send out a new or refurbished device, place a charge on the account, and the customer sends in their old one. AT&T checks the water indicators and for obvious signs of physical damage and abuse, like the the keyboard missing keys or the screen being bashed in. If that checks out they credit the account.

01-15-14 03:26 PM
    Hi boxxer, I'm assuming you are somewhere in N America.....

If anybody in the UK is worried about a similar problem happening to them..... don't worry at all as we have the Sales of Goods Act - which continues to give the consumer cover even after the initial year's warranty has expired.
    You are returning the item after what would be considered a reasonable time to inspect it. Therefore you have accepted the item so can no longer demand a full refund but you may be entitled to a repair of replacement. Is it within six years since you bought it (five years in Scotland)? And would it be reasonable for the item to last for the time that you expect?
    01-15-14 04:11 PM
    But you're mistaken. If Sprint exchanges the phone and the old phone has water damage or damage done by me or isn't broken at all, they'll change me full retail price of the new phone. If they do an exchange and the old one is defective due to the manufacturer, then they'll only charge me $75 for the new one. They will not credit my account. Long story short, I pay $75 for a replacement Q10 from Sprint. So what's the point to the customer of having a manufacturer's warranty?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 04:18 PM
    Yes, I'm in N America. $75 to fix a sensitive key on the keyboard seems a bit excessive when the phone is only 3 months old and under warranty. I thought that repairs done while under warranty are free (provided the faults are due to manufacturing and not the end user). It does not seem the case with Sprint; it doesn't matter if it's under warranty or not, it costs $75 for a repair or exchange if they can't repair it.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 04:23 PM
    I'd recommend posting on the sprint forums, I did a google search and you aren't the only one to get the run around from Sprint, looks like they have some pretty terrible customer service.
    01-15-14 04:27 PM
    Yes, I'm in N America. $75 to fix a sensitive key on the keyboard seems a bit excessive when the phone is only 3 months old and under warranty. I thought that repairs done while under warranty are free (provided the faults are due to manufacturing and not the end user). It does not seem the case with Sprint; it doesn't matter if it's under warranty or not, it costs $75 for a repair or exchange if they can't repair it.

Posted via CB10
    Ouch!

N. America is a great place, but one of the benefits of being this side of the pond is better basic consumer protection - and many companies give much better customer care than the legal minimum. The space bar on my Q10 was 'squelchy' and didn't click properly - one phone call and a courier arrived the next day with a (brand new) replacement phone (EE UK - you are not all bad!) - note: if the phone had been more than a year old, I would likely have just received a refurbished handset, as opposed to a brand new device
    01-15-14 04:43 PM
    The Sprint rep called Blackberry and yes indeed, when the service provider bought the phone to sell to the end user, they also bought the duty of managing the warranty. Long story short, the Sprint rep bumped it up to the......great ready for it.......the Escalation Group, which is either composed of supervisors or is a supervisory group. They'll review my situation, although I keep stressing that I'm doing this for all the other Sprint Blackberry users too. However, the tech said that a sensitive key might not warrant a replacement, but I stressed that the Blackberry rep supervisor told me that a sensitive key is not proper for a Blackberry. I don't know, as much I love my Q10, after this experience and if it doesn't get resolved favorably, then a Verizon iPhone might be looking pretty good.
    01-15-14 05:25 PM
    Verizon just sends you a new or reburb phone...period. no charge unless you don't return the old one.

It's not complicated. Your issue is with Sprint.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 05:28 PM
    I think the issue stems from a miscommunication between Sprint and Blackberry. Besides, sensitive keys are a common defect on Q10s, so shouldn't Blackberry shoulder some of the blame instead of saying "just talk to Sprint. We can't help you."

All in all, if Sprint carried the Z10, I wouldn't have this issue.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 05:42 PM
    No, it is a Sprint issue. You get a one year warranty when you buy the phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 06:13 PM
    I think the issue stems from a miscommunication between Sprint and Blackberry. Besides, sensitive keys are a common defect on Q10s, so shouldn't Blackberry shoulder some of the blame instead of saying "just talk to Sprint. We can't help you."

All in all, if Sprint carried the Z10, I wouldn't have this issue.

Posted via CB10
    There is no miscommunication in my opinion. Sprint bought the phone from BlackBerry and BlackBerry is responsible to Sprint for the warranty. You bought the phone from Sprint and Sprint is responsible to you for the warranty.
    This has been this way for at least 10 years and is likely a part of the contracts between carriers and manufacturers. About that long ago, I had a Motorola RAZR that had buttons that were sticking. I called Cingular, they shipped me a refurb, I sent my original back. No charge. Now if they had said nothing was wrong with it or that it was caused by me damaging it, then I would have to pay the replacement cost.
    If Sprint is telling you that they are charging you one way or another, then the issue here is Sprint.
    My own personal experience with them was when I bought a Palm Pre. I was with them for one month before I went screaming back to AT&T. They messed up my billing, tried to charge me for another accounts purchases, had horrible customer service, and they were "sharing" (selling) the phone number I ported in to telemarketers. Maybe I'm biased

01-15-14 06:56 PM
    Sprint called me and are shipping a new Q10 for free, but if that one has a defect, then they'll charge me $75.

Well, I hope the replacement one is defect free.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-15-14 07:13 PM
    Replacement arrived quick. By the way, I called Apple and Samsung. They handle warranties directly and the service provider does not get involved. But for BlackBerry, warranties are handled by the service provider.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 09:49 PM
    I had the same issue with my 5 month old Q10. I went to the local AT&T store and was told I had to go to a "Device Service Center" because the local store did not stock Q10's. Went to the center and explained the sensitive keys issue, within 10 minutes had another(maybe refurbished, but seemed brand new) Q10. AT&T had a 1 year warranty on the phone and gave me no problems whatsoever. Did not cost me a cent.
    01-17-14 10:32 PM
    I think there was confusion because if I bought an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy through Sprint and the phone had a defect, the manufacturer would directly manage the warranty (at least that's what Apple and Samsung support told me when I called them). But for BlackBerry, service provider manages the warranty and when I called Sprint, they though BlackBerry managed it.

The question is who should manage the warranty? Should it be the service provider or the manufacturer?

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 11:07 AM
    In the USA the warranty is done by the carrier. Sprint has to diagnose the device free of charge per the warranty T&C and the law. They can charge you for shipping and handling though. Take it to a sprint repair shop.

If it's through the insurer and it is asurion then yeah you have the deductible

-Yar I be a pirate because according to Phil & Co. Over at Android Central I run 10.2.1 and I sideload
    01-18-14 11:35 AM
    Problem was that Q10 comes with a one year manufacturer warranty. Sprint said "talk to Blackberry and not us because it's a manufacturer warranty." Sprint said it doesn't matter who made the phone, they said go call the manufacturer and they'll handle it. I called Apple and Samsung and they confirmed that's how it is with their products even if I bought it from a reseller or service provider (like Sprint). Blackberry is the only one who said "talk to the service provider."

Not knowing they managed Blackberry's warranty, Sprint said I could pay $75 charge for an exchange. The Sprint store/repair center said the same and they can't fix it since they don't stock Blackberry phones or their parts. Even though I got a replacement, it came in a Sprint box and not a Blackberry box.

If Sprint honored Blackberry's warranty, they would either do a free exchange or send the unit to Blackberry for repair and if they charged me shipping and handling, I would be satisfied with that. If they sent out a replacement and charged me for it, but credited the charge back to my account when they received the old unit, I would be fine with that. But no, since I don't have insurance, they said "$75 nonrefundable. We don't do manufacturer warranty."

I understand how insurance works, but the issue is warranty. Insurance and warranty both cover manufacturing defects. Insurance costs about $130 a year whereas warranty is free for one year. If neither the service provider nor the manufacturer are going to honor or manage the warranty, then why even have a warranty in the first place and what's a guy to do? Answer: buy insurance or whatever fee the provider charges, live with the defect, or raise a red flag.

Perhaps Sprint assumed that like Apple and Samsung, Blackberry would manage the warranty for their phones bought through a service provider. Obviously Sprint screwed up but should Blackberry be like it's competitors and provide warranty service directly without involving the service provider?

Or should I have kept quiet?

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 01:12 PM
    ...Perhaps Sprint assumed that like Apple and Samsung, Blackberry would manage the warranty for their phones bought through a service provider. Obviously Sprint screwed up but should Blackberry be like it's competitors and provide warranty service directly without involving the service provider?

Or should I have kept quiet?

Posted via CB10
    IMHO, Sprint has been doing business with BlackBerry for far to long to assume something like that. Also, that's something that should be spelled out in their contracts.
    As far as BlackBerry providing warranty support directly like Apple and Samsung, I whole heartedly agree that they should. I'd love to have a BlackBerry+ plan (like Applecare+) that I could buy directly from BlackBerry. I'd also love to have a BlackBerry store nearby

01-18-14 04:23 PM