Hello CB Fellows,

My niece is graduating from elementary school soon and I want to buy her very first smartphone. I am considering Q10 because size is right and I want her to experience the smartphone with BlackBerry os 10 with qwerty keyboard. She currently has ipad mini and she loves it. I am sure she's gonna like q10 but she may not like the lack of app support. That's my only concern. What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 12:11 PM
    What do you guys think?
    Well, girls are more communicative than boys, so I would imagine being able to make phone calls, text, and use the other messaging services would take priority. Boys of that age often just use the devices as another sort of games console. But of course the distinction isn't clear cut.

Ultimately it's you who needs to know how your niece thinks, her interests, her social circle and what devices they have. Just make sure that, if her device is different, it is set up well enough that she doesn't get ostracised or cut off from her friends.

Alternatively, set a budget, then ask her what device she would like within said budget - then take her shopping or whatever. Bit of quality time - shows you respect her and treat her like a sentient being.
    krazyatom and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    06-05-15 12:45 PM
    Just ask her what she wants...

Always happy to help!
    06-05-15 12:49 PM

Always happy to help!
    Yeah, this.

Who knows, she might want a Leap.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-05-15 01:01 PM

Always happy to help!
    Problem is that I can't afford to buy her iPhone 6. My budget is around $200 so I thought Q10 was the sweet spot. I just cannot afford to buy her whatever who wants lol.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 01:55 PM
    To be honest, I would just get her an iPhone 4 or 4s, or any number of low-end Android phones. Moto G is the first I think of. Even though I love Blackberry, I do not see someone that young enjoying it when all her friends are going to be on apps and games 24/7

Via my BlackBerry Q10
    06-05-15 02:01 PM
    To be honest, I would just get her an iPhone 4 or 4s, or any number of low-end Android phones. Moto G is the first I think of. Even though I love Blackberry, I do not see someone that young enjoying it when all her friends are going to be on apps and games 24/7

Via my BlackBerry Q10
    Yes, you got point. She might be the only person with BlackBerry in her school

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 02:24 PM
    I bought my daughter a Q10 a year ago because she hated typing on glass. She absolutely loves it now. The only drawback she feels are the lack of support Instagram and Snapchat.

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-05-15 03:25 PM
    I bought my daughter a Q10 a year ago because she hated typing on glass. She absolutely loves it now. The only drawback she feels are the lack of support Instagram and Snapchat.

Posted via CB10
    Did your daughter ever asked for iPhone or android?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 03:47 PM

Via my BlackBerry Q10
    Agreed, sadly that is what kids want - I know I have a daughter... have you talked to her or her parents about this purchase?

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 03:52 PM
    I don't really want to ask her because she knows that I won't say no lol. She may want iPhone 6

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    06-05-15 03:57 PM
    I don't really want to ask her because she knows that I won't say no lol. She may want iPhone 6

Posted via CB10
    Oh yeah (grin) I've been there. Here's a thought, show her first exactly what you can afford and let her pick. (don't show her an iphone 5 or up) lol

Oh and have fun being wrapped around your niece's little finger, it can be expensive but what the heck. Lol
    Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 04:02 PM
    elementary school!?!? kids are getting phones so early now. but ya, q10 would be cool for her. not literally though haha
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-05-15 04:20 PM
    Oh yeah (grin) I've been there. Here's a thought, show her first exactly what you can afford and let her pick. (don't show her an iphone 5 or up) lol

Oh and have fun being wrapped around your niece's little finger, it can be expensive but what the heck. Lol
    Posted via CB10
    I miss the old days when we used to have beeper $100/year including activation. I should let her try it first and if she doesn't like it I can exchange it.

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    06-05-15 04:39 PM
    I remember when kids used to be happy with anything they got... the Q10 would be great for her... she will love it... especially when all they do is text their friends... great device for her...

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-06-15 01:06 AM
    My nephew and niece saw my q10 yesterday. They find it very amazing because it is touch and type. I never thought that at their age, they would appreciate my phone. And im so proud having it. they are 11 and 15 of age btw.

Posted via CB10 for  Q10
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-06-15 03:39 AM
    Well, yeah. I'm pretty sure the best thing to do is to ask her, and even let her get to know the device. If she asks for an iPhone 6, you shouldn't spoil her by saying yes because you don't have the budget for it.

But yes, please do ask. If I surprisingly got a smartphone I didn't want, I'd be kinda downed about that because I could have asked for something else if I know that there were plans to give me one. Of course, the budget has to be respected.

Posted via  Z30 STA100-2 | 10.3.2.798
    06-06-15 05:05 AM
    Why not show her the real force of BlackBerry OS 10 with the best device made for it up to date ! --> Get her an BBRY PassPort. Wouldn't get her anything else.

But because of your budget --> Z30
    06-06-15 05:08 AM
    Why not show her the real force of BlackBerry OS 10 with the best device made for it up to date ! --> Get her an BBRY PassPort. Wouldn't get her anything else.

But because of your budget --> Z30
    She graduated elementary school. People that young don't exactly have the best physical appearance to handle bigger devices.

HesSoStrange likes this.
    06-06-15 05:12 AM
    Did your daughter ever asked for iPhone or android?

Posted via CB10
    I did ask her but she was fed up with glass-typing.

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-06-15 06:01 AM
    Speaking from experience, she won't be happy with anything other than an iPhone - at that age they love the messaging features of the iPhone (including FaceTime). We can preach the virtues of BBM but young teens don't care - peer pressure is brutal!

Posted via CB10
    HesSoStrange and JesseBabe23 like this.
    06-06-15 06:49 AM
    Another vote for iPhone 4s-5c
    HesSoStrange likes this.
    06-06-15 06:53 AM
    I bought a Motorola G for my niece for her 10th birthday. Although I would have loved her to use a BlackBerry it's also all about what her friends have.

I can not ask a 10 year old to deal with Amazon app store or Snap...

Posted via CB10
    HesSoStrange likes this.
    06-06-15 06:56 AM
    Speaking from experience, she won't be happy with anything other than an iPhone - at that age they love the messaging features of the iPhone (including FaceTime). We can preach the virtues of BBM but young teens don't care - peer pressure is brutal!

Posted via CB10
    Well not every teen will enjoy iPhone. All my friends used BlackBerry as a team but they just switched over because BlackBerry at the time was held back.

I started using and choosing BlackBerry at the age of ten and in still here hahaha. Everyone has their own preference. Maybe his niece might love BlackBerry.

krazyatom likes this.
    06-06-15 08:04 AM
    And if it was a surprise gift, I know it will be still appreciated. If I am your niece, I will be happy with whatsoever your gift is. Coming to HS, q10 will surely be useful for her.

Posted via CB10 for  Q10
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-06-15 02:32 PM
40 12