believe me this phone is gonna be nuts..
    03-22-13 11:44 PM
    while I agree its gonna be a great device,its not gonna be the flagship.
    The flagship is Aristo and Thor seams pretty excited about it. He says its going to take BlackBerry10 to another level.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    03-22-13 11:47 PM
    I think the Q10 is the flagship qwerty device! and the Aristo's the flagship slate device? Correct me if I'm wrong
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-22-13 11:52 PM
    Who said anything about an Aristo?

BlackBerry sticking with 4.2- and 3.1-inch screen sizes, resolutions for next wave of BB10 devices

I don't think anything is getting any bigger than the Z10.
    03-23-13 12:31 AM
    Out of the two initial devices, it is actually the z10 that is the flagship now, the q10 is more the workhorse now and is able to somewhat free itself of the pointless slimness race to add battery life thanks to the flagship device covering that area.
    03-23-13 09:01 AM
    Who said anything about an Aristo?

BlackBerry sticking with 4.2- and 3.1-inch screen sizes, resolutions for next wave of BB10 devices

I don't think anything is getting any bigger than the Z10.
    There is a confusion on the screen size vs screen resolution. See the following chart:
    Q10 720 x 720 pixels, 3.1 inches (~328 ppi pixel density)
    Z10 768 x 1280 pixels, 4.2 inches (~355 ppi pixel density)
    Lumia 768 x 1280 pixels, 4.5 inches (~332 ppi pixel density)
    Galaxy s3 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.8 inches (~306 ppi pixel density)
    Galaxy s4 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)
    Iphone 5 640 x 1136 pixels, 4.0 inches (~326 ppi pixel density)
    HTC one 4.7-inch 1,920x1,080 pixels, 468ppi

Lumia 720 480 x 800 pixels, 4.3 inches (~217 ppi pixel density)
    Lumia 520 480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches (~233 ppi pixel density)

You can see that the Z10 is just a Lumia 920 with a smaller screen ( or visa versa) but the same resolution. BB can build a larger screen device with the same screen resolution as the Z10.
    It seems that they could build a Z20 - but it would likely be 4.6 inches ( speculation) but then the screen PPI would be no better than the 920 .

I gather though there is more than just PPI to make a good screen . Brightness, contrast and colour calibration all come into play ( Super Amoled vs LCD too). BB seems to be making a big bet on the value of the OS over trying to compete with other smartphones head on in the spec dept. Personally I have no interest in the supersize phones but I do wish the Z10 and Q10 were a tad larger. Maybe we will see that yet. It seems to me too that BB will be challenged to make a budget model with the higher screen resolutions of the Q10 & Z10. Maybe the flagship touch model will rely on different technologies and the Q20 will be 3.5 inches or more. In the final analysis - seeing is believing .

I took this off the internet: "The standard human eye will not be able to "discern" the individual pixels at this rate. The eye can see a maximum ppi of 300, according to Apple."
    03-23-13 10:29 AM
    I gather though there is more than just PPI to make a good screen . Brightness, contrast and colour calibration all come into play ( Super Amoled vs LCD too). BB seems to be making a big bet on the value of the OS over trying to compete with other smartphones head on in the spec dept. Personally I have no interest in the supersize phones but I do wish the Z10 and Q10 were a tad larger. Maybe we will see that yet. It seems to me too that BB will be challenged to make a budget model with the higher screen resolutions of the Q10 & Z10. Maybe the flagship touch model will rely on different technologies and the Q20 will be 3.5 inches or more. In the final analysis - seeing is believing .
    The point about there being more to a screen than ppi is a valid one and you should have also included resolution with it because depending on your uses some people might easily find that they prefer a 720p display over a 1080p display at these small screen sizes due to the former tending to be a brighter screen due to the slightly larger pixel size.

As far as budget models, the odds are that they can more readily make a qwerty model this year as there are more things they could do to reduce the price such as cheaper plastics, dropping oled for lcd etc and that a cheaper all-touch bb10 will come next year when the z10 is no longer the main premium model and BB are then free to pair a cheaper processor with a cheaper lower ppi 4.5" 720p display because even though that would be cheaper at this time it would be a difficult story to deliver that the z10's display was more expensive than a larger one.

As far as a q10 upgrade, it would not surprise me if we are actually 18 months away from that one getting replaced, that smaller form factor simply won't have the same spec pressures on it that the all-touch models will and the combination of premium materials, large battery life and a smaller audience for this device could see it not need an update so soon, perhaps in a year's time we might see a slider instead as by then the bb10 market should hopefully be big enough that it would be a more complimentary part of the range than it would be this year.

I took this off the internet: "The standard human eye will not be able to "discern" the individual pixels at this rate. The eye can see a maximum ppi of 300, according to Apple."
    The important thing to remember with that stat is that it is fundamentally marketing bollocks and even if you do accept that there is a particular figure it would also need to reference the quality of the vision of the person looking at the display and the distance from the display to have any real relevance to it.
    jimmyjyc likes this.
    03-24-13 06:43 AM
    Z10 is their baby until another high end full touch device drops.

As I type this on my 9900 I can honestly say in this day in age there will not be a "flagship" device that has a keyboard.

Keyboards are a niche market and flagship is what they want to sell. Even thor shot down the q10 and said he liked the Z10 better in the interview with kevin.

Sent from my game boy color
    03-24-13 06:50 AM
    Z10 is their baby until another high end full touch device drops.

As I type this on my 9900 I can honestly say in this day in age there will not be a "flagship" device that has a keyboard.

Keyboards are a niche market and flagship is what they want to sell. Even thor shot down the q10 and said he liked the Z10 better in the interview with kevin.
    Indeed and in some ways being freed of the mantle of having to be the flagship device could actually work to the advantage of future qwerty devices as they can be allowed to focus on the things that will make the devices better at being that qwerty workhorse rather than having to appeal to the mainstream as was the case with the bb7 devices, one example of this in the q10 is that they didn't feel the need to make the thinnest device possible and instead made it a bit thicker and upped the battery by 17%.

The important things to remember is that not being the niche or not being the flagship do not imply that they will get away from selling high end or premium qwerty models, this will still be a sizable market for them that is going to remain important, it just isn't the only thing for them anymore.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-24-13 06:59 AM
    I agree they will sell many but a massive chunk of that many will be corporate devices rather than personal devices.

Most people if they have any other phone are used to the real estate of a full touch device and not a lot are going to be willing to give it up for a physical keyboard IMO.

My job makes me go in and out of peoples homes daily and when people see my keyboard the general consensus is they miss the keyboard but like the larger screen better and deal with the virtual keyboard.

Sent from my game boy color
    03-24-13 07:15 AM
    I don't think the Q10 is going to be the flagship device. Especially with so many features gone from the hardware. Think about it for a moment... who is BlackBerry making this device for? The answer is the diehard QWERTY users, GREAT! What is one thing aside from the physical QWERTY keyboard that those users love? The trackpad..... which is now gone with the Q10. I know many people who have the 9900 and they barely use the touch screen, especially when sending an email or writing out a message, it's always the trackpad in use to move the cursor. I think a large portion of these diehard QWERTY users are going to switch to the Q10 and then switch back.
    caccad, Legal Eagle and Revampd like this.
    03-24-13 10:09 AM
    Just look at the developer devices.

Dev Alpha = 5,000 made
    Dev Alpha B = 7,000 made
    Dev Alpha C = 1,500 made

Clearly, their priority is with full touch now and the lack of attention to the qwerty makes me concerned that the Q10 might get much less app support than the full touch.

Posted via my Shiny Red LE Z10
    agp101 likes this.
    03-24-13 10:50 AM
    I don't think the Q10 is going to be the flagship device. Especially with so many features gone from the hardware. Think about it for a moment... who is BlackBerry making this device for? The answer is the diehard QWERTY users, GREAT! What is one thing aside from the physical QWERTY keyboard that those users love? The trackpad..... which is now gone with the Q10. I know many people who have the 9900 and they barely use the touch screen, especially when sending an email or writing out a message, it's always the trackpad in use to move the cursor. I think a large portion of these diehard QWERTY users are going to switch to the Q10 and then switch back.
    actually its also for people who want a smaller phone than the z10
    the z10 is too big of a phone, it is catered towards the "angry birds" crowd more than it is toward the corporate users..
    03-24-13 05:56 PM

Dev Alpha = 5,000 made
    Dev Alpha B = 7,000 made
    Dev Alpha C = 1,500 made

Clearly, their priority is with full touch now and the lack of attention to the qwerty makes me concerned that the Q10 might get much less app support than the full touch.

Posted via my Shiny Red LE Z10
    Except for most users of qwerty, they probably are only interested in the main top productivity apps such as Skype, Whatsapp, WebEx, etc.
    Not necessarily interested in games, other than the couple that are available. Brick Breaker anyone? lol
    It might be "nice" to have more apps, but for the qwerty user, it's not going to be a make or break.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    03-24-13 07:35 PM
    Got the Z10 because my contract had expired. Thought I would give the touchscreen a whirl until the Q10 was released. Love the predictive typing. No going back for me.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    03-24-13 09:16 PM

Dev Alpha = 5,000 made
    Dev Alpha B = 7,000 made
    Dev Alpha C = 1,500 made

I think you are slightly misreading the reasoning behind the reduced numbers for the dev alpha c which is that they are targeted at the most important devs who they most want to encourage to fully optimise their apps for both devices rather than just doing it without real hardware.
    03-25-13 11:20 AM
    actually its also for people who want a smaller phone than the z10
    the z10 is too big of a phone, it is catered towards the "angry birds" crowd more than it is toward the corporate users..
    The difference is .40 of an inch .. maybe the width of your pinky finger. I seriously hope they do not build those teeny tiny phones ... pardon my pun but they diminish the brand.
    03-25-13 04:29 PM