For those who haven't figured it out yet, the reason a person would be willing to tolerate/repair a Q10 is because there is no phone out there that can match the efficiency of the Q10 when it's working well.

If you disagree, you clearly don't value those features (and that's ok); it makes sense that you'd be happier with a different BlackBerry model or another platform. Telling a stranger that they'd also be happier with a change is small minded, naive and proves your ignorance (I'm ignoring the character flaw).

The reason you don't hear more about Q10s that have no double typing issue is because the majority of those owners don't come into this thread... why would they? We also get tired of repeating "no problem here, I've been using my Q10 since blahblah and it just keeps getting better."

This is probably the last time I'll type this:
    No problem here, I've been using my Q10 since the Canadian launch in May of 2013 and it just keeps getting better. I personally know 3 other q10 owners who haven't experienced any double typing issues and I don't know a single q10 owner IRL that has had the problem.

To be clear, I'm not saying that double typing doesn't exist (I had to have one of my 9900s repaired for this), just that it is not as widespread as someone might assume if they only read this thread. Also, good luck to those with the problem. Luckily replacement keyboards are inexpensive. Not as cheap or easy as my trackball replacements used to be, but not terrible.

I do believe that BlackBerry should be helping with affected devices in some way but I feel it's important to acknowledge that not every Q10 will experience this affliction and I believe that it is likely a small, vocal minority that make this problem appear more wide-spread than it is.
    Galifrey likes this.
    07-02-14 08:19 AM
    Replaced my keyboard yesterday(took about 45-50 minutes using YouTube video). Very glad to state that it fixed my double typing issue. You have to be careful and have the right tools for extraction/replacement. The keyboard philips head screws almost got stripped with mine. I only wish the replacement keyboard's backlighting was uniform; it is much brighter near the space key then elsewhere. It's satisfying to trash the old keyboard I must say.
    07-02-14 09:36 AM
    Replaced my keyboard yesterday(took about 45-50 minutes using YouTube video). Very glad to state that it fixed my double typing issue. You have to be careful and have the right tools for extraction/replacement. The keyboard philips head screws almost got stripped with mine. I only wish the replacement keyboard's backlighting was uniform; it is much brighter near the space key then elsewhere. It's satisfying to trash the old keyboard I must say.
    Interesting about the backlight. I got a whole replacement phone a few weeks ago on warranty. Not just the keyboard. And the "B" is much brighter than the rest of the keyboard. I have decided to ignore it as I am so happy not to have the double typing. I'm back to loving my Q10 again!!!

As to why people would put up with replacing the phone - there is no other phone like it on the market. So if you like a keyboard (when it works), there are no other choices that are as comfortable to use as the Q10.

I remember I had a problem when I first got my Bold 9000. I actually tried 3 before I got one that worked properly. On one of them the P/@ button didn't work in the store when I picked it up!! Finally I got a good one and used it, without a case, for almost 5 years till I got the Q10. It still works fine and sits on my desk for when I want to play with it on WiFi (no sim card). Of course it is very out of date with a tiny screen, but there is no better typing experience. My patience was rewarded then, and hopefully it will be with my Q10.

Q10
    07-02-14 10:28 AM
    I've been well over a year with my Q10 and haven't had a double-type issue so far. If I do... what's the best place to get a replacement keyboard from?

Never hurts to be prepared right?
    07-02-14 11:21 AM
    After about 4 months with my third (count 'em) THIRD q10, the "Z" key started becoming super sensitive yesterday. The key is sensitive to touch, and pressing any other key in its vicinity triggers it. There are Zs in everything I type. Multiples of them, and it's crippling.

I've used up my Verizon Warranty with the last switch.

Talked to a local merchant who said he could replace the keyboard for $50 for parts and labor, but admitted to never having worked on a q10 before and that it would take 5-7 days to get the part. But I leave for Europe on Friday, so I'll just have to deal with it.
    Bring your phone to Europe, might get a better price

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 11:30 AM
    Amazon has keyboard listings for various BB models. Reasonable prices.
    07-02-14 12:33 PM
    To those of you who assured people like me wondering if the double typing is becoming an epidemic among Q10s, thank you. I find comfort in your responses
    07-02-14 03:37 PM
    After a few happy months of using my q10 I'm also starting to have double typing issues with the 'a' key. I don't think I have ever owned a Blackberry which didn't have issues and have given the company many many chances to get it right, but they have failed to do so. Even BBM doesn't work properly on non BB devices so my other half uses Hangouts on WhatsApp to talk to me although she prefers BBM. The new devices look very nice but would I trust Blackberry not to sell me another dud? Not a chance.
    07-02-14 06:43 PM
    I don't think I have ever owned a Blackberry which didn't have issues and have given the company many many chances to get it right, but they have failed to do so.
    The new devices look very nice but would I trust Blackberry not to sell me another dud? Not a chance.
    Strange when I see these types of comments because the Q10 is the first BlackBerry I've ever had keyboard issues with.

Posted with my ? Q10.
    lustekarlis and moyah8 like this.
    07-02-14 07:06 PM
    *knocks on wood* my keyboard is perfect. PURRRRRFECT. I hope it lasts, I worship my Q10, lol.
    07-02-14 07:19 PM
    Anyone who has had their keyboard replaced over the past month or so have any problems develop yet?

Without going over the whole story, I'm on my third keyboard with my original device (13 months old). Keyboard 1 lasted about 5 months, keyboard 2 was done after another 4 months but I dealt with it for another month. Sent it in to BlackBerry and they sent me another Q10. That one had a creaky screen and developed double type in a couple of weeks.

Got my original device back about a month ago with the "new, improved" keyboard and so far so good. Anyone have any problems with the "new" keyboards yet? I can't pass judgment for at least another 3 - 4 months based on my experiences.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 07:41 PM
    My May 2013 Q10 had its keyboard replaced in early March this year, and still flawless. Loving the kb. Too soon to make a definitive call on it?

I'll be getting the Passport when it comes out, I can't type on a virtual kb.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 06:28 AM
    No dramas here. Got it since 10 Jul 2013, when it became available in Australia. So I'm nearing one full year of moderate to heavy use.

Maybe we got a good batch.

Pasted via CB chen
    07-03-14 07:02 AM
    Anyone who has had their keyboard replaced over the past month or so have any problems develop yet?

Without going over the whole story, I'm on my third keyboard with my original device (13 months old). Keyboard 1 lasted about 5 months, keyboard 2 was done after another 4 months but I dealt with it for another month. Sent it in to BlackBerry and they sent me another Q10. That one had a creaky screen and developed double type in a couple of weeks.

Got my original device back about a month ago with the "new, improved" keyboard and so far so good. Anyone have any problems with the "new" keyboards yet? I can't pass judgment for at least another 3 - 4 months based on my experiences.

Posted via CB10
    I'm going on month 3 after keyboard-replacement, with no obvious signs of the double-typing issue.

I think BlackBerry installed a keyboard with different contacts. The old keyboard felt like a "rubber dome" membrane. This one feels stiffer and is louder (more clicky), as if it's using a plastic/foil membrane.

Hopefully this modified design is more durable. But I do miss how soft the old keyboard felt.

Blackberry is dead; long live Blackberry!
    07-03-14 08:21 AM
    Must have been a bad batch of keyboards on the earliest purchased/released models.. I would love to see a global map of stats that show areas of distribution in correlation with keyboard malfunctions.. More than likely it can be traced back to the same places or lot numbers or something. I hope Blackberry has began to pull those batches and sell newer ones with keyboards that haven't been problematic
    bbnrs likes this.
    07-03-14 10:50 AM
    Verizon is sending my 5th Q10 now. That is four defective keyboards in 8 months. The last 2 only lasted a month to 6 weeks. I am hoping to last long enough under warranty for the Q20 to come out and I can make the switch.
    This doesn't sound like a coincidence, it sounds like they're giving you replacement phones from the same lot which probably all had the same defect.

Anyway, hope BB sorts everything out for the Q20!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 10:53 AM
    Not YET, but my response is hardly scientific

Hopefully my Q10 lasts for awhile longer.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 05:07 PM
    After sending mine for its third repair, they gave me a new one today.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 05:09 PM
    Has anyone recently purchased a Q10, like within the past month or two, experienced the double-typing issue? Or is it just the first devices that were bought and sold in first year of market release?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    07-03-14 05:35 PM
    Has anyone recently purchased a Q10, like within the past month or two, experienced the double-typing issue? Or is it just the first devices that were bought and sold in first year of market release?

A friend of mine bought one in March or April 2014 after I talked him into it. (he was a legacy user). He just had it replaced for double typing. He got it from Verizon
    Mine was bought the day it arrived at AT&T - June 2013. Didn't start double typing till it was 9 months old. Just got it replaced a few weeks ago. Hope it stays good. Great phone!

Q10
    flyingsolid likes this.
    07-03-14 07:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Wow, this is the first I've heard about "new, improved" keyboards, awesome! Anyone else install the "new, improved" keyboard?
    07-04-14 12:13 AM
    I just had to reload 700 os and double typing has gotten worse. Before reload it had gotten better. But had to reload b/c phone locked up. Bummer

Z30 /10.3.x.xxxx & Q10 10.3.x.xxxx
    07-04-14 07:21 AM
    Hey everyone, I wrote more than a month ago explaining how my Q10 was developing serious tipying issues.

I've spent like 6 weeks with it (been busy lately) and it went from bad to worse. At the end it was impossible to type as 'tttt's would appear non-stop and the phone itself wouldn't stop calling one concrete contact, like a ghost was pressing it. Crazy.

I took it to the carrier last week, I am now waiting for a whole replacement/ keyboard change? Who knows. I am really dissapointed, I just don't know how to deffend BlackBerry anymore now that my 4 month old Q10 went nuts developing a globally reported malfunction.

At least I was given a 9320 while I'm waiting. Good old days...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 now that my Q10 is f***** up
    07-04-14 09:12 AM

I bought mine two months ago and it has the double typing issues. It will be the last Bb device I buy having had issues with every device.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    07-05-14 07:40 AM
    On my third Q10 now...
    07-07-14 10:18 AM
2,502 ... 6162636465 ...