Here are the facts:

- People seem to get this problem over time.
    - It's not a software bug as resetting software doesn't fix issue.
    - While we can't say for sure but Q5 doesn't seem to have this problem.
    - It plagues all variations of Q10
    - Replacing keyboard, although fixes the issue for a while, problem seems to come back.
    - After opening my old keyboard, I noticed the membrane was in pristine condition yet I had double typing.

Here is my assessment that seems to fit with all the facts we have accumulated so far and why some people have worse double typing than others over time.

This might be not issue of keyboard mechanics but rather issue of design. My hunch is its a design issue where dust and other debris might be getting between the keys and triggering double typing. There is also a chance during assembly the keyboard isn't properly installed and some keys might not have settled properly.

Two days ago I noticed that my space bar started to have a clicky sound and my double typing got worse. I opened the bottom face plate that exposes the keys underneath and tugged and pulled the spacebar a bit, and I blew underneath all the keys with air compressor. After doing so and sticking back the bottom plate. The clickish sound went away and I also noticed I haven't had much double typing since then.

I will keep you guys updated if anything changes.

Posted via CB10
    Hello, anything changed since this time ?

I think I'm definitely done with this Q10 and BB in general. I wanted to replace my keyboard, but knowing that the problem might come back after a while stopped my plan.
    Today was the worst day !!!!! The double typing issue almost occured at EVERY word I was typing on professional mails. It was f******* annoying and I wasted my time correcting each word.

Even if I hate the iOS 7 design, I'm considering to buy an iPhone next week. I really need a RELIABLE device for my professional emails.
    "Keep moving", "Tools, not toys". These slogans are absolutely s*** !!!

The only reason I stay with BlackBerry is the physical keyboard. There is no way to replace my keyboard every 3 months !!! If I can't rely on it, there is no use to buy a BB with a virtual keyboard like the Z30, it would be better to see what kind of reliable devices the competition provides....

I really like this device, the keyboard (when it works...) is amazing, the phone call quality is great. But come on !!! How can BlackBerry ignore this issue ? We are among the customers who support this company and help it to survive, we should get more attention. Instead of this those f****** give us the middle finger....

So disappointed....
    Last edited by tezuka; 03-27-14 at 10:35 AM.
    03-27-14 10:24 AM
    There are definitely degrees of severity of this problem. Mine was never bad, but the keyboard was quite sensitive from day 1. It got so I knew that if I lingered a split second longer on certain keys, they would double type.

It's now been 2 weeks since the keyboard replacement, and no sign of recurrence. The new keyboard feels solid, and if I press a key too lightly, it doesn't type at all. I like it this way.

To all those frustrated - get it fixed! And not with second rate junk sold on ebay.

I know it hasn't been long enough since the repair to really call the problem solved, but I keep following this thread, and you will be the first to know if it recurs. And btw, has anyone posted about this on the Beta Zone? That forum is followed very closely by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 11:21 AM
    I'm not mocking him for his English ability, he is just posting the same comment over and over despite everyone saying it's a hardware issue.

I can't say definitively if it is dust getting underneath, if it is some of the other theories in here on poor build quality. But I do know that this double typing is not caused by any software, and also the suggestion by some that it is the the typing style is simply false.

Posted with my ? Q10.
    Agreed. I am suggesting, nonetheless, that he may be on to something by proposing a software work around to a very real hardware flaw. In this circumstance, that may be possible if, the double typing does, in fact, present in a manner distinct from a person pressing a key multiple times.

Posted via CBQ10
    03-27-14 11:28 AM
    There are definitely degrees of severity of this problem. Mine was never bad, but the keyboard was quite sensitive from day 1. It got so I knew that if I lingered a split second longer on certain keys, they would double type.

It's now been 2 weeks since the keyboard replacement, and no sign of recurrence. The new keyboard feels solid, and if I press a key too lightly, it doesn't type at all. I like it this way.

To all those frustrated - get it fixed! And not with second rate junk sold on ebay.

I know it hasn't been long enough since the repair to really call the problem solved, but I keep following this thread, and you will be the first to know if it recurs. And btw, has anyone posted about this on the Beta Zone? That forum is followed very closely by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    So did you go through a carrier or just straight through BlackBerry?

Posted with my CB-Q10 using the power of " Q "
    03-27-14 11:28 AM
    So did you go through a carrier or just straight through BlackBerry?

I went through the carrier (Telus). The carrier sent it to a BlackBerry authorized repair facility, not to BlackBerry itself. It was all done under warranty.

BlackBerry uses the carriers to screen out easy to fix problems. Most issues that end users have can be resolved with a wipe and reload of the OS, so problems are escalated to BlackBerry only if the carrier's tech support is unable to help.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 12:16 PM
    Do you know which blackberry authorized repair centre telus sent it to?

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 02:13 PM

I think I'm definitely done with this Q10 and BB in general. I wanted to replace my keyboard, but knowing that the problem might come back after a while stopped my plan.
    Today was the worst day !!!!! The double typing issue almost occured at EVERY word I was typing on professional mails. It was f******* annoying and I wasted my time correcting each word.

Even if I hate the iOS 7 design, I'm considering to buy an iPhone next week. I really need a RELIABLE device for my professional emails.

The only reason I stay with BlackBerry is the physical keyboard. There is no way to replace my keyboard every 3 months !!! If I can't rely on it, there is no use to buy a BB with a virtual keyboard like the Z30, it would be better to see what kind of reliable devices the competition provides....

I really like this device, the keyboard (when it works...) is amazing, the phone call quality is great. But come on !!! How can BlackBerry ignore this issue ? We are among the customers who support this company and help it to survive, we should get more attention. Instead of this those f****** give us the middle finger....

So disappointed....
    I am still getting double typing once in a while but not as much as before. It can be just a coincidence but my spacebar is working better now. I wrote this paragraph without correction, so you can see for now no double typing. So you could say it's inconclusive.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 03:55 PM
    My 7-month-old Q10 starts to have this issue now. Hopefully it won't get worse.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    03-27-14 04:48 PM

So disappointed....
    Blackberry doesn't give a **** and neither does Crackberry. That's just how it is. Non-existing customer service and non-existing critical journalism.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 03:25 AM
    BlackBerry can maybe streamline their auto-correct to an extent that it gets rid of double alphabets whenever it happens. Only if BlackBerry or even crackberry listened...

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 04:37 AM
    I'm another blackberry user that is now running into the double typing issue on my q10. It's intermittent, but still happens about 10 or so times per day and I do a lot of typing. I'm hoping that is doesn't become more prevalent because there is almost no advantage to the hardware keyboard if I have to back and correct a sentence once it's been typed.

I'm actually quite surprised I haven't had a double type letter show up when typing up this post. How odd.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 06:37 AM
    BlackBerry can maybe streamline their auto-correct to an extent that it gets rid of double alphabets whenever it happens. Only if BlackBerry or even crackberry listened...

Posted via CB10
    And what of words that have double letters? You just had 5 such words in 2 sentences.

Posted with my ? Q10.
    03-28-14 07:07 AM
    Correct. That is why a patch would only work if it had the ability to to discern between humanly generated double letters and glitch generated double signals. Thus Behindr's repeatedly pointing out that humans can't type that fast.

Posted via CBQ10
    03-28-14 07:26 AM
    Do we really know that the slowest bug-generated extra letter is faster than the fastest human-typed extra letter?

Until we do, a software fix isn't an option.
    03-28-14 08:18 AM
    I notice that if we press any button and immidiatly left. Means to say do not hold any button . Then it does not double type. Idia little help u friends

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:00 AM
    I also posted thread on BlackBerry beta zone official
    May b BlackBerry do ssomething

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:01 AM
    Let's all hope the plagued double typing keyboard issue is fixed in the upcoming "high end" qwerty phones Chen mentioned today. Then we can just sweep the Q10 problem further under the rug.
    With that being said, will those of you (myself included) that are furious with the double typing issue, take a chance on the upcoming qwerty devices?
    Last edited by Namueab; 03-28-14 at 09:27 AM.
    03-28-14 09:03 AM
    Let's all hope the plagued double typing keyboard issue us fixed in the upcoming "high end" qwerty phones Chen mentioned today. Then we can just sweep the Q10 problem further under the rug.
    With that being said, will those of you (myself included) that are furious with the double typing issue, take a chance on the upcoming qwerty devices?
    No
    03-28-14 09:17 AM
    Let's all hope the plagued double typing keyboard issue is fixed in the upcoming "high end" qwerty phones Chen mentioned today. Then we can just sweep the Q10 problem further under the rug.
    Currently shopping for a good deal on a Z30. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before my backspace key gets the problem too with its frequency of use.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 10:15 AM
    Currently shopping for a good deal on a Z30. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before my backspace key gets the problem too with its frequency of use.

Posted via CB10
    Sadly, a valid possibility. I'm pretty screwed as a Sprint customer. In the world of BlackBerry I don't have many options.

03-28-14 10:45 AM
    I have learned my lesson. Whereas for my past 6 BlackBerrys I bought them the day they were released, I plan to monitor any new one that comes out for up to six months before buying. If this sort of issue persists I will be forced to, albeit--reluctantly, move on.

Posted via CBQ10
    Vector-SS and flyingsolid like this.
    03-28-14 12:13 PM
    Sadly, a valid possibility. I'm pretty screwed as a Sprint customer. In the world of BlackBerry I don't have many options.

I'm in the same boat. At least customers of other carriers haave a touch-screen BB10 alternative. I love my Q10, but a flaw in the keyboard completely defeats the purpose of putting up with the smaller square screen.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on my Qued10 in CB10
    03-28-14 12:38 PM
    I don't have this issue (although my Q is only a couple of weeks old).

I was just wondering whether those that do have the problem have tried turning assisted typing measures off - such as autocorrect, suggestions, spelling etc.?

Via CB on Q10
    03-28-14 02:10 PM
    I don't have this issue (although my Q is only a couple of weeks old).

I was just wondering whether those that do have the problem have tried turning assisted typing measures off - such as autocorrect, suggestions, spelling etc.?

Via CB on Q10
    Just tried that. Made no difference.

03-28-14 03:17 PM
    I actually turned all the assistive measures off as a matter of course - made no difference to my problem at all.

Been using the Q10 with a new keyboard and it is working like a dream. How long this one lasts... Who knows!!!

Sent from Tapatalk
    03-28-14 06:03 PM
2,502 ... 2324252627 ...