I think the "news" that people are going more "minimalism" is more news than reality. Haven't hear anything about Punkt in a long time.
    I think some are actually trying due to media coverage and other social pressures but whether or not they succeed for any length of time is another matter. I have 2 friends who have recently ditched smartphones and gone back to a flip but then that's just anecdotal. I've never actually seen any numbers. I don't often use my android device as I find myself immersed in Reddit or some other "mindless" activity (that's what I refer to it and only my opinion!) for hours on end. Although I have Reddit in Motion on my Passport, I use it much much less due to the slowness of it and some videos not opening etc. It's definitely not a movement but there are some (quite often older generation) who are trying to cut back imo.
    09-18-19 02:58 PM
    People can do that with existing devices either through previous mentions of not using the apps or just turning off data.

Not everyone is addicted regardless of definition.
    I think everyone is addicted to some degree. For those whose addiction is severe, simply deleting the apps or turning off the data isn’t a realistic solution.
    09-18-19 03:00 PM
    Like calling the original BBOS crack like addiction isn’t seriously the same. Even when people thought vibrations felt without phone turned on.
    That was different! It was ok to be addicted to a Blackberry, but an iPhone or Android is shameful!
    LOL.
    darkdoomer likes this.
    09-18-19 04:22 PM
    People can do that with existing devices either through previous mentions of not using the apps or just turning off data.

Not everyone is addicted regardless of definition.
    My original post wasn't intended to be debatable. Was simply sharing my joy in the device and that I know there are others like me out there that would/do appreciate the simplicity of a neutered eco system. -- And though I don't think the smartphone addiction problem in our society is equivalent to the dangers of opioid addiction, I do think any and every addiction that robs people of true joy is/does just that.

It's strange to me the things that are argued on here...
    09-18-19 04:40 PM
    My original post wasn't intended to be debatable. Was simply sharing my joy in the device and that I know there are others like me out there that would/do appreciate the simplicity of a neutered eco system. -- And though I don't think the smartphone addiction problem in our society is equivalent to the dangers of opioid addiction, I do think any and every addiction that robs people of true joy is/does just that.

It's strange to me the things that are argued on here...
    Oh, I didn't think this was arguing lol, just a healthy debate.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-19 05:41 PM
    Blackberry was in trouble before the 9900 and afterit itwas last ditch effort. The core problem was that they didnt join an app realm for the customer

The q10 ilike alot itis how iwanted to tweak the 9900 but the oled screen was too dull, andforemost,

Did you see bb10.0. 10.1. And still no proper android apps. Ithink it started booting in purple

I dontknow which chiptheypicked unofficially but itmustvebeen very good. The q20 is a q10 with lcd andsomeothermodifications to micros

The customers associate nostalgy wiht keyboard. The quirky early os with no convincing apps wasthe core problem. The somewhat cheaper appearance compared to iphones especially ddidnt help.

Itis a very good mailing machine and the qnx apps were somany times
    F
    A
    R

More convincing. Than somany bloatware junkware apps

Googles android espec was not too convincing and chose to bloat the os and the apps. Qnx is a lean miracle comparedtothat and alotsafer stable quicker

The customers couldnt learn to value it
    And bb put the android support in waaaaytoolate

If 10.3.3x woudlvebeen inthelaunch maybe it couldve changed here and there a customer but itis what itis now

Theyquit onhardware
    The money is and was inthe software and ithink thats a mistake

Bloatware vs miracles of hardware

Posted via CB10
    09-20-19 05:04 PM
    Let's get real, the Blackberry10 being based on QNX is the reason these systems will survive for a while unless damaged. People have to realize data collection is the enemy and a loss of profits for everyone but Google/Apple/Facebook/MS/Amazon and eventually start thinking about moving on.
    Helpless people will stick to iPhone/Android.

As of recently I planned to switch to a flip-phone, since I don't really have any use for the internet everywhere, so I rediscovered an old Samsung E900 in my stuff, a very classy one, added a fresh battery, except I realized the calendar date expires in december 31 2015,23:59:59... since, it crashes when you call or receive a phonecall. Overflow from a calendar, and this model is from 2008! One ugly, planned obsolescence by design, and a reminder that Samsung isn't a solution either. So back to my Q10. Yep.
    Compared to the others that may hve caught my attention, as a replacement I see nothing that at the moment could replace my Q10, besides a classic, or another Q10.

I have exposed several times the issues of data collection in Windows, debunking the real from the false, and even got pleasantly debunked and corrected a few times. Yes, it takes a while, and disabling a lot of software on Android to stop these devices from spying your conversations, just like the Windows driver that activates the webcam and its LED separately. "Impossible!" Well that happens if you use an oscilloscope and sometimes the webcam becomes active for no reason.

It's possible to make Android a bit more privacy oriented, but never fully. It's clearly an OS I could never trust, as for the ethics of having a device manufactured in China. This also is a huge issue, sadly for not enough people.
    The QNX kernel/OS itself is much more interesting than the Linux-based Android, it's fast, stable and it's insanely secure related to any kind of attack.
    Like I said earlier, it's like running a spyware-filled windows software on Linux Wine, nothing bad will happen, if it does, the hackers who managed to create this can literally take down Facebook or Tumblr if they wanted.

Unfortunately I fear that the goal of Blackberry here is to just be another Samsung/Nokia/Lg and go with the same model of android tablets made in china, with rounded screen edges full of bad cameras for snapchat fans, instread of innovating, and let QNX die.
    09-24-19 06:07 AM
    Let's get real, the Blackberry10 being based on QNX is the reason these systems will survive for a while unless damaged. People have to realize data collection is the enemy and a loss of profits for everyone but Google/Apple/Facebook/MS/Amazon and eventually start thinking about moving on.
    Helpless people will stick to iPhone/Android.

As of recently I planned to switch to a flip-phone, since I don't really have any use for the internet everywhere, so I rediscovered an old Samsung E900 in my stuff, a very classy one, added a fresh battery, except I realized the calendar date expires in december 31 2015,23:59:59... since, it crashes when you call or receive a phonecall. Overflow from a calendar, and this model is from 2008! One ugly, planned obsolescence by design, and a reminder that Samsung isn't a solution either. So back to my Q10. Yep.
    Compared to the others that may hve caught my attention, as a replacement I see nothing that at the moment could replace my Q10, besides a classic, or another Q10.

I have exposed several times the issues of data collection in Windows, debunking the real from the false, and even got pleasantly debunked and corrected a few times. Yes, it takes a while, and disabling a lot of software on Android to stop these devices from spying your conversations, just like the Windows driver that activates the webcam and its LED separately. "Impossible!" Well that happens if you use an oscilloscope and sometimes the webcam becomes active for no reason.

It's possible to make Android a bit more privacy oriented, but never fully. It's clearly an OS I could never trust, as for the ethics of having a device manufactured in China. This also is a huge issue, sadly for not enough people.
    The QNX kernel/OS itself is much more interesting than the Linux-based Android, it's fast, stable and it's insanely secure related to any kind of attack.
    Like I said earlier, it's like running a spyware-filled windows software on Linux Wine, nothing bad will happen, if it does, the hackers who managed to create this can literally take down Facebook or Tumblr if they wanted.

Unfortunately I fear that the goal of Blackberry here is to just be another Samsung/Nokia/Lg and go with the same model of android tablets made in china, with rounded screen edges full of bad cameras for snapchat fans, instread of innovating, and let QNX die.
    QNX won’t die and is alive, well and making it’s money for BlackBerry who’s perfectly ok with that. BlackBerry exited mobile hardware almost three years ago. They’re not interested with selling Android to consumers. BlackBerry was and is happy to sell BBAndroid to BB licensees as part of an overall license package.

It appears this hasn’t been as successful as the licensees hoped for. Unless the licensees can pay the amount of money that BB needs for the licensing to be profitable, this model also will go away. Either way, BBOS and BB10 have been declared officially EOL at year end unless new date extends out.
    darkdoomer likes this.
    09-24-19 07:35 AM
33 12