My Q10 has to go back to the spa to correct a faulty keyboard

Video here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ym-key-888947/

So, after asking about wiping the device before I send it back, I thought I'd try wiping it using BlackBerry Protect to see how good it was.

So, I removed the SIM card from my Q10 and left it connected to my home WiFi network.

Of course, I expected this to fail as there was no SIM card in the Q10.

My first shock was that the location services worked without a SIM card. I would say it took longer than usual, but the map came up, and yes, there was the Q10, sitting in my house as shown on the map. Without a SIM card.

I asked BlackBerry Protect to make my Q10 play a sound. This took longer than usual, but after about 5 minutes (when I had given up on it working and went to make a coffee) the Q10 started doing its best impression of the warning siren you hear when a Heavy Goods Vehicle is reversing over an alley full of trash cans.

I asked BlackBerry Protect to display a message on the lock screen - and that didn't work. It said it had been sent, but no message appeared on the Q10's screen. However, the screen did look a little odd, the "moon" tab that you get when you drag the clock down to turn off notifications was showing. So, it seems as if BlackBerry Protect had tried to deliver the message and succeeded far enough as to be able to affect what was shown on the screen, but that it wasn't successful in actually displaying the message on the Q10's screen.

So, I took a deep breath and initiated a remote wipe.

Sure enough, I got the message that the device wasn't responding and BlackBerry Protect would re-try the next time the device was connected to the cellular network.

Then something strange happened.

With the "I can't do it" message being shown in my BlackBerry Protect account on my Mac's web browser... the Q10 actually started the wipe process.

I was amazed that this worked, but work it did and very well too.

I certainly "feel" a little more secure now :-)

So, how does it work with no SIM card in the Q10?

I had transferred BBM to my Z10 using BlackBerry ID - so it isn't through BBM.

The only thing I can think of is that it can "ping" the device using either the device PIN or some sort of MAC address.

Just really amazed (and pleased) that it worked! A shame it couldn't confirm it had worked - but it did work.

Anyway - this is what the wipe looked like at the start:

And at the end:

So, all in all, a poor job on the Q10's keyboard - but a great job on BlackBerry Protect ;-)
    12-31-13 05:33 AM
    I think because BlackBerry protect linked with your BBID regardless your SIM inserted or not and BlackBerry protect will always work if theres data/wifi.

Imo. Not sure.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    12-31-13 05:36 AM
    One of the benefits of not needing BIS or BES.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 08:20 AM
    If there is data, you can wipe it.

No data, no wipe.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 08:30 AM
    Hi everybody. i updated my BB q10 with leak 10.2.1.1259. everything is fine, except BBProtect. i restarted device several times, but couldn't connected to BBProtect. then i remove sim card from device, switch device on, and tried again. phone connected to BBP without any problem. return back simcard, again problem. Some miracle. Any advice?
    01-19-14 01:25 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is BIS free... you can use anything on wifi... so BlackBerry Protect

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 01:46 PM
    but it doesn't work when sim card is attached. even blackberry data logo disappears. without sim card, everything is working
    01-20-14 12:30 AM
    but it doesn't work when sim card is attached. even blackberry data logo disappears. without sim card, everything is working
    I would assume that you are in a country where that version of OS has not been setup on your carrier and may not have a route to the BlackBerry servers. We saw that on one of the other releases where some of the European members could not get BlackBerry services on a leaked OS, but it eventually worked a few days later.
    01-20-14 07:34 AM
    maybe. but strange thing is that BBM is working. just BBprotect is unable to connect
    01-20-14 10:24 AM
    you must have BIS to connect the bbprotect

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-20-14 10:43 AM
    thx Robsteve. i put simcard of another mobile provider and evrything is working, including BBprotect. seems carrier experience a problem with mentioned OS.
    01-20-14 11:48 AM