Late last Thursday evening my buddy James, his brother John and I were sitting at the Fergus, Ontario hospital. James had just separated his shoulder while playing a gnarly game of soccer earlier that evening. While waiting in emerge, John had left to plug in James' Blackberry Q10 into his Dodge truck. Ten minutes after plugging it in, John went back outside only to realize that his Truck was missing!

John hustled back inside to let us know. Seconds later James had ripped off his hospital gown and we were back outside, frantically looking for this lost vehicle. John called emergency and within a few minutes the O.P.P had arrived. John still had his BB Z10 phone on him, and we noted that when they had taken off, James' Q10 was still charging in the Dodge. An idea popped into our heads; would we be able to locate the phone and truck using Blackberry Protect? John quickly started to log in to James' email and password in Blackberry Protect. This was successful, and within seconds we located the phone in Elora, Ontario.

The officer requested that we slide into the back of the vehicle. John and I did accordingly, with James staying behind to get his shoulder repaired. John and I were quite excited that we got to go along for the ride! Quite quickly we had entered Elora, yet by this time we had relocated the phone heading North towards Salem. This was the start of a wild car chase. We were constantly relocating the phone (and vehicle) from the back of a cop car, which was then told over the radio to the dozen other officers that were involved. It was soon realized that the location of this phone was not in the vehicle that was stolen, but had been switched to a white Yukon after the Dodge was stolen. Reckless driving allowed the Yukon to pull ahead of us, but they did not realize that we knew their exact location because of the blackberry they had stolen.

After a half hour of flying through the countryside we came to the roundabout near St. Jacobs on Arthur St. At this point, Johns phone died. The officers with us quickly called over the radio asking for a charger. We did receive one from another vehicle and also realized that the dispatcher may be able to log in and give quicker updates to everyone. The email and password were read to the dispatcher, and without second she had the next update for us. It was quite a scene with all the cars flying out of the intersection at the same moment.

From then on the dispatcher updated us every minute on the revised location of the Yukon. We caught up to it, and were inches away from getting hit by it when they flew by at over 200 km/hr when we were on the shoulder trying to lay down a spike strip. Right behind him were multiple officers. He managed to get away, as officers were not permitted to travel through intersections at the rate of speed the Yukon driver was recklessly doing.

The chase ended in Woodstock, with the driver and passengers of the Yukon thinking they were home free as no one had been around for a while. They parked in a back alley and once the dispatcher noted it had not moved for a while, they closed in on it and found all the belongings, including the Q10, that were stolen.

The next morning the truck was found deserted at the entrance to the Elora dump.

Thank you Blackberry Protect!!!
    06-30-14 10:44 AM
    Wow great story like in the movie
    Nice all end well

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 10:49 AM
    Quite a tale of hide and seek, and glad he got it back!
    06-30-14 10:51 AM
    Wow. Glad no law abiding citizens and officers were injured.
    06-30-14 10:59 AM
    Fascinating read!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 01:33 PM
    I enjoyed that story! Thanks OP!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 01:38 PM
    Nice story with a good ending!

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    06-30-14 01:43 PM
    This is pretty awesome and raises some questions should I ever end up in a similar situation.

First and foremost and I apologize if this sounds silly. But does location services need to be turned on for this to work? Because I usually turn it on and off. Using only when needed.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 01:47 PM
    This is pretty awesome and raises some questions should I ever end up in a similar situation.

First and foremost and I apologize if this sounds silly. But does location services need to be turned on for this to work? Because I usually turn it on and off. Using only when needed.

Posted via CB10
    You need to turn on the location services (GPS) for this to work. Also the phone needs to be outside of a building as well.
    06-30-14 01:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes. It needs to be on.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 01:53 PM
    So cool!

Did they catch the bad guys?
    06-30-14 01:57 PM
    This is a fantastic story and this calls out to Blackberry to fully enable the features of Blackberry protect on BB10.
    06-30-14 01:58 PM
    Wow I know all those roads well. Hope they throw that tosspot in jail!
    06-30-14 02:00 PM
    This should be on the front page of Crackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 02:22 PM
    Vote for front page here!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 02:28 PM
    Also the phone needs to be outside of a building as well.

Depends on the building solid thick metal and concrete will be harder for gps then some wood and insulation.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 02:28 PM
    This should be on the front page of Crackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    That and CBC!
    06-30-14 02:31 PM
    great story!
    06-30-14 02:54 PM