dose blackberry encryption work on everyday emails is this safe to use. if i send my bank info though a email is it
    encrypted.
    09-07-13 02:54 PM
    dose blackberry encryption work on everyday emails is this safe to use. if i send my bank info though a email is it
    encrypted.
    the simple and quick answer is - no.

Do you want the long version?
    09-07-13 02:55 PM
    some were in between
    09-07-13 03:11 PM
    NSA has access to all your messages, so if NSA can do it, other ppl can do it too...
    09-07-13 03:17 PM
    some were in between
    lol. ok.

Your email will only be encrypted on a blackberry to a particular point. With Bis that is as far as your internet provider. With BES that is all the way to your corporate BES Servers, so it it is internal mail that makes it end to end.

If you wish to email your bank with end to end encryption you would need to have some kind of key exchange (if you are using public key cryptography). Some use SMIME, and you would need to find and obtain your banks SMIME certificate and get one of your own. I strongly doubt your bank would do this, hence I would stick my neck out this far and say I doubt you can communicate securely end to end with your bank (UNLESS they have made provision for this) , not with blackberry, indeed not with anything in the current climate. Email is an insecure protocol inheritantly, and use of cryptography has never really been mainstream enough for it to be realistic.
    stlabrat likes this.
    09-07-13 03:23 PM
    so I can turn off encryption
    09-07-13 03:32 PM
    so I can turn off encryption
    I'd have to ask where you are seeing the setting to turn it off before I'd answer?
    09-07-13 03:35 PM
    setting security and privacy and then to encryption
    09-07-13 03:37 PM
    setting security and privacy and then to encryption
    ok that's what I thought you meant - that's nothing to do with email encryption. That controls if you encrypt the data on your device's internal memory and sd card. That's different. That protects you if you lose your device and someone gets hold of it and tries to get data of it or the memory card inside it. Without your password to the device it would not be trivial to get that data off it.
    stlabrat likes this.
    09-07-13 03:42 PM
    No encryption ?

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD !!!
    09-07-13 03:43 PM
    No encryption ?

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD !!!
    i'm sorry could you explain what you are asking a little more please? I don't know how to answer
    09-07-13 03:47 PM
    ok that's what I thought you meant - that's nothing to do with email encryption. That controls if you encrypt the data on your device's internal memory and sd card. That's different. That protects you if you lose your device and someone gets hold of it and tries to get data of it or the memory card inside it. Without your password to the device it would not be trivial to get that data off it.
    okay cool thanks
    09-07-13 03:49 PM
    okay cool thanks
    your welcome
    Bolderholder likes this.
    09-07-13 03:53 PM
    NSA has access to all your messages, so if NSA can do it, other ppl can do it too...
    I don't think this is true. I don't believe the NSA can break the encryption, but they usually don't have to since your message eventually hits a non-encrypted server....usually the recipient or somewhere before that. The only true end to end encrypted communication is BBM which stays completely within BB servers from one BB to the other. (or a BIS email to another BIS email address, and within a BES system) I believe this is why eastern countries got upset with BB a few years ago and threatened to ban them since they couldn't spy on their citizens. The US was just a bit more discreet with their spying announcements.
    FYI- google is working to encrypt their data in light of the NSA news, so there must be some reason they think NSA can't break it. Perhaps they could break a selected fragment if they really worked at it, but it's probably too much work to decrypt mountains of data everyday.
    09-07-13 05:03 PM
    you might want to bring that thought over here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/armchai...emails-846726/
    09-07-13 05:57 PM
    I don't think this is true. I don't believe the NSA can break the encryption, but they usually don't have to since your message eventually hits a non-encrypted server....usually the recipient or somewhere before that. The only true end to end encrypted communication is BBM which stays completely within BB servers from one BB to the other. (or a BIS email to another BIS email address, and within a BES system) I believe this is why eastern countries got upset with BB a few years ago and threatened to ban them since they couldn't spy on their citizens. The US was just a bit more discreet with their spying announcements.
    FYI- google is working to encrypt their data in light of the NSA news, so there must be some reason they think NSA can't break it. Perhaps they could break a selected fragment if they really worked at it, but it's probably too much work to decrypt mountains of data everyday.
    BBM is not encrypted, BES is encrypted end-to-end, but bbm is not.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 06:03 PM
    if encryption is on, does the contact info a person calling get displayed if the phone is locked? I always lock my phone (bb9900) and if it rings the name, ringtone etc all default to standard ringtone and the name doesn't show up. just wondering if this is the same on the q10 as I will be switching over to use my new phone soon.
    jamie753 likes this.
    10-17-13 09:47 AM
    BBM is not encrypted, BES is encrypted end-to-end, but bbm is not.

Posted via CB10
    BBM is encrypted-like only, because it uses a single public key. BlackBerry describes this as "scrambled".
    12-07-13 10:05 AM
    if encryption is on, does the contact info a person calling get displayed if the phone is locked? I always lock my phone (bb9900) and if it rings the name, ringtone etc all default to standard ringtone and the name doesn't show up. just wondering if this is the same on the q10 as I will be switching over to use my new phone soon.
    The name and pictures show up. It does not work like on BB9900

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 02:07 PM