"Today, we can proudly say that we are extending that commitment and will continue to support critical infrastructure and services for BB10 as well as network access for BBOS devices beyond the end of 2019.

It is a testament to the durability of our designs and brand loyalty that there are still millions of people actively using BB10 and BBOS devices—some of which are more than 10 years old."

How goes your User Experience (UX) and reviews of BB10 OS devices? I trust both my Q10 and Blackberry!
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    11-06-19 11:43 AM
    Why don't you start...
    11-06-19 12:03 PM
    Let's be sure to balance the announcement with the other salient facts. As Bla1ze summarises:

"While the news of BlackBerry continuing to support the offerings is great, the announcement also highlights the other issue that folks using those devices are continuing to deal with and that's the fact that a lot of the apps and services for those older devices are continuing to disappear or be shut down and finding alternatives is not always easy or guaranteed.

Looking at the original announcement next to this one not much has changed in the wording and I suspect not much will change by way of the 'support' given either..."
    11-06-19 12:21 PM
    Let's be sure to balance the announcement with the other salient facts. As Bla1ze summarises:

"While the news of BlackBerry continuing to support the offerings is great, the announcement also highlights the other issue that folks using those devices are continuing to deal with and that's the fact that a lot of the apps and services for those older devices are continuing to disappear or be shut down and finding alternatives is not always easy or guaranteed.

Looking at the original announcement next to this one not much has changed in the wording and I suspect not much will change by way of the 'support' given either..."
    Instead of a week to find a bad certificate, it might take a month once it's officially EOL.
    11-07-19 08:21 AM
    Obviously, the practical functionality of BBOS and BB10 devices for people not interested in loading old APKs or searching around for developer-provided apps through unofficial channels is slowly degrading over time, and the loss of BlackBerry World will accelerate that somewhat. And changing radio bands and the termination of BIS offerings from carriers will eliminate a lot of the practicality of BBOS.

But, most people (though not all!) who care about such things have already moved on.

So long as stock BB10 and BBOS work for their core functions, however, the practical advantages will outweigh the inconveniences for me and many other like me.

It's not that I'm unwilling to move on. It's that I'm genuinely more focused and effective on my ancient tech than I am on iOS or Android for the tasks I choose to perform on Mobile.

Mobile, for me, is not a way of life. It's a simple modality to perform a limited set of frequent, critical tasks.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-07-19 09:14 AM
    Obviously, the practical functionality of BBOS and BB10 devices for people not interested in loading old APKs or searching around for developer-provided apps through unofficial channels is slowly degrading over time, and the loss of BlackBerry World will accelerate that somewhat. And changing radio bands and the termination of BIS offerings from carriers will eliminate a lot of the practicality of BBOS.

But, most people (though not all!) who care about such things have already moved on.

So long as stock BB10 and BBOS work for their core functions, however, the practical advantages will outweigh the inconveniences for me and many other like me.

It's not that I'm unwilling to move on. It's that I'm genuinely more focused and effective on my ancient tech than I am on iOS or Android for the tasks I choose to perform on Mobile.

Mobile, for me, is not a way of life. It's a simple modality to perform a limited set of frequent, critical tasks.

For BB10, you can make that argument. I’m not sure how good BBOS is when BIS gets dropped. Carriers affect BBOS survival too much where BB10 can go longer theoretically.
    Martin Haughton likes this.
    11-07-19 09:24 AM
    For BB10, you can make that argument. I’m not sure how good BBOS is when BIS gets dropped. Carriers affect BBOS survival too much where BB10 can go longer theoretically.
    Yes, BBOS without BIS is probably for superfans only.
    11-07-19 09:31 AM
    Instead of a week to find a bad certificate, it might take a month once it's officially EOL.
    Party pooper.
    11-07-19 11:28 AM
    "Today, we can proudly say that we are extending that commitment and will continue to support critical infrastructure and services for BB10 as well as network access for BBOS devices beyond the end of 2019.

It is a testament to the durability of our designs and brand loyalty that there are still millions of people actively using BB10 and BBOS devices—some of which are more than 10 years old."

How goes your User Experience (UX) and reviews of BB10 OS devices? I trust both my Q10 and Blackberry!
    So all that really says is that the phones won't quit working correct? I doesn't say they'll fix anything.

I'm shocked that they say millions are still using them.
    11-07-19 02:58 PM
    So all that really says is that the phones won't quit working correct? I doesn't say they'll fix anything.

Artistic license counting every device sold as unique and current user.
    11-07-19 08:00 PM
    As much as I wish there would be real commitment for / from BlackBerry.
    But to be honest - there is no real reason to use a BlackBerry OS10 (or even BBOS device) anymore today.
    Unless you just use "Calls" and "E-mails".

I'd say iPhones native e-mail application and BlackBerry Hub for Android are equally secure / private as BlackBerry 10's.

I keep my OS10 and BBOS just for nostalgia purposes - I'm thankful for all the great times with them and the fun I had with them.
    But now I put them on display on my shelfs.
    11-08-19 08:40 AM

Hey co4nd,

Here's the full announcement:

https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2019...egacy-services

It does indeed say they will support (meaning fix) critical infrastructure and services (meaning Blackberry ID, Protect, etc.) beyond 2019.

Here's the official word on EOL:

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/sup...ort-life-cycle

If you'll expand Operating Systems, you'll see that BB10 services are specifically excluded from EOL status, meaning, again, that they will fix those services if they break.

Anyone not reading the Crackberry forums would not be surprised that millions are still using BB10 devices, although I confess reading much of this site would convince one otherwise.
    11-08-19 06:30 PM

Hey Martin,

Keep the faith brother! Despite the Crackberry Old Guard (some of whom are on this thread) believing otherwise, there are still many of us out there using and loving our BB10 devices. Feel free to ping me or some others directly if we can be of help to you.

Also, to answer your question: my UX and reviews of BB10 remain stellar and can be summarized thusly: it's the most secure and privacy-oriented mobile OS on the market today, bar none.
    11-08-19 06:32 PM
    As much as I wish there would be real commitment for / from BlackBerry.
    But to be honest - there is no real reason to use a BlackBerry OS10 (or even BBOS device) anymore today.
    Unless you just use "Calls" and "E-mails".

I'd say iPhones native e-mail application and BlackBerry Hub for Android are equally secure / private as BlackBerry 10's.

I keep my OS10 and BBOS just for nostalgia purposes - I'm thankful for all the great times with them and the fun I had with them.
    But now I put them on display on my shelfs.
    Hey Slash,

You're certainly welcome to whatever points of view you wish and should definitely use whatever works best for you. But I would dispute the idea that iPhones and any Android device are as secure/private as BB10. There are numerous examples of both devices and ecosystems being hacked.

As for functionality, you can use BB10 native apps to listen to podcasts, read any e-book, access Instagram and Twitter, check Reddit, and a number of other functions. Android apps (even older ones) allow access to Facebook, Spotify, and many other services. Quite a bit more than just calls and e-mails....
    11-08-19 06:34 PM
    I would say there are easily 100,000 to 150,000 BBOS/BB10 primary device users left.
    11-08-19 06:58 PM
    I would say there are easily 100,000 to 150,000 BBOS/BB10 primary device users left.
    Hence the part where I said "Anyone not reading the Crackberry forums would not be surprised."

Anyone reading most of these forums would assume that no one is using Blackberry 10, since those who are theoretically Blackberry fans are attacking the people advocating for its revival and sometimes its use in general.

(For clarification, I don't mean that anyone saying BB10 would never be revived is attacking it, or that people saying BBAndroid is better are attacking it. I'm referring specifically to the posts which attack the very idea as ridiculous, or those using BB10 as using an outdated device, switch to modern OS rather than get an app to work, etc.)
    11-08-19 07:01 PM
    Hence the part where I said "Anyone not reading the Crackberry forums would not be surprised."

Anyone reading most of these forums would assume that no one is using Blackberry 10, since those who are theoretically Blackberry fans are attacking the people advocating for its revival and sometimes its use in general.

(For clarification, I don't mean that anyone saying BB10 would never be revived is attacking it, or that people saying BBAndroid is better are attacking it. I'm referring specifically to the posts which attack the very idea as ridiculous, or those using BB10 as using an outdated device, switch to modern OS rather than get an app to work, etc.)
    150,000 is no one?

How is this an attack?

If you like BB10, enjoy.
    11-08-19 07:13 PM
    Thanks, and I appreciate your frank comments, my friend!
    11-08-19 07:33 PM
    150,000 is no one?

How is this an attack?

If you like BB10, enjoy.
    I am admittedly imputing the context of similar comments in other threads. However, you're correct in that your specific comment here is not a direct attack; it is an indirect one by virtue of your disputing Blackberry Limited's figure while providing no context of your own, yet phrasing it in such a way that you come off implying there may be more than the comparatively low number you state.

I give you points for subtlety, and possibly points for restraint depending on whether this is the start of a new trend.
    Gene Fells likes this.
    11-08-19 07:39 PM
    Thanks, and I appreciate your frank comments, my friend!
    Assuming that was to me, anytime sir! I'll keep them coming as long as the Crackberry Powers That Be permit....
    11-08-19 07:40 PM
    Sure, and you're welcome TrumpetTiger!
    11-08-19 07:52 PM

I usually have 2-4 BBAndroid phones and 2 BB10 phones in my business technology gear on the road. That qualifies as BB supporter.

That said, I wouldn’t call me active BB10 supporter. Once again, BB has enthusiastically stretched virtual reality and played top level semantics.

Public filings disclose revenue from BBOS and I’m sure analysts have estimated approximate remaining BB10 userbase.

Why do you suppose the EOL dates haven’t been changed or clarified on the document links posted. By not clarifying, any possible supportive enterprise users that would delay the exit from BB10 won’t have confidence with BB statement as it reads.
    11-08-19 07:52 PM
    I usually have 2-4 BBAndroid phones and 2 BB10 phones in my business technology gear on the road. That qualifies as BB supporter.

That said, I wouldn’t call me active BB10 supporter. Once again, BB has enthusiastically stretched virtual reality and played top level semantics.

Public filings disclose revenue from BBOS and I’m sure analysts have estimated approximate remaining BB10 userbase.

Why do you suppose the EOL dates haven’t been changed or clarified on the document links posted. By not clarifying, any possible supportive enterprise users that would delay the exit from BB10 won’t have confidence with BB statement as it reads.
    Um...the EOL dates HAVE been clarified on the document links provided. They very clearly state that Blackberry Limited will support the BB10 and BBOS back-end services indefinitely and that those services are NOT EOL. It's a popular pasttime on CB for some (not you generally Chuck) to pretend otherwise, but that doesn't change what the words actually say.

I would also not call you an active BB10 supporter, nor would I put you as one of those BBL has indicated are "users." If analysts have indeed estimated the approximate remaining BB10 user base, utilizing some form of objective data, I'll be happy to examine it. So far, those who are citing numbers have simply said "I estimate" and have been reluctant to provide any data for this estimation other than figures they themselves generate.
    11-08-19 08:07 PM
    How do you define "primary?" I own an Android phone that's configured with all my services. Does that mean my BB10 phone is not one of the 100K primary devices? I know you've done some math on this topic from sales and estimated life of devices, but I think the margin of errir is largrr than you suppose. I would not be surprised to see that there are 1M+ BB10 devices still in use.

The resale market is certainly pretty solid, with working 6 year old Z10s selling on eBay at 5x the daily rate of iPhone 6es that are almost two years newer for about the same price.

The "typical" life of a BB10 phone is likely significantly longer than most consumer phones. For one thing, unlike iPhones and Android, they haven't slowed down due to feature bloat for native BB10 apps. People happy with them have no incentive to upgrade.

iled, elfabio80 and markus2107 like this.
    11-08-19 08:16 PM
    Um...the EOL dates HAVE been clarified on the document links provided. They very clearly state that Blackberry Limited will support the BB10 and BBOS back-end services indefinitely and that those services are NOT EOL. It's a popular pasttime on CB for some (not you generally Chuck) to pretend otherwise, but that doesn't change what the words actually say.

I would also not call you an active BB10 supporter, nor would I put you as one of those BBL has indicated are "users." If analysts have indeed estimated the approximate remaining BB10 user base, utilizing some form of objective data, I'll be happy to examine it. So far, those who are citing numbers have simply said "I estimate" and have been reluctant to provide any data for this estimation other than figures they themselves generate.
    You know what I mean by clarified. I’m not saying 12/31/2019 changed to 01/01/2020 for arguments or facetious reasons. I’m saying that if BB really intended to support BB10 with any SIGNIFICANT meaningful change to EOL date such as 12/31/2020 for instance, then it would be given.

That would allow Enterprise and other IT administrators specific actionable information to delay BB10 termination or discontinuation within organizations. Without specific dates, what IT administrators would change their original plan from before the announcement.

The clarity of the statement is we’re not unplugging BB10 services on 12/31/2019 but it doesn’t commit BlackBerry to firm continued support beyond extra 30, 60, 90 or 180 days.

The specific number of extra days aren’t really important. It merely suggests that BB isn’t as serious or committed as you think. You’re entitled to your optimism but the BlackBerry I’m familiar with just isn’t altruistic like that now or ever.
    11-08-19 08:39 PM
95 123 ...