Disclaimer: This is not a "Why can't I has BIS" post.

Hello teeming masses,

You might call me old school, but I've only ever known BIS, so I've only known super-optimized and streamlined data coming to my phone and exponentially less data requirements than any other smartphone. /end BIS-praise

Now that I'm anticipating moving on to El Diez, how much data does the average Tom, Dietrich, Hassan need? I tend to do lots of e-mail and BBM and a good amount of browsing. I don't stream videos or music much, but since I'll be moving to a screen that's >VGA, I might be inclined to.

On BIS, I've been using roughly 300MB. Anyone have some degree of familiarity with BIS-to-full-monty translation?

Thanks in advance!
    03-25-13 11:10 PM
    I've hit about the same amount of data when I was using a Bold 9900. I've now had the Z10 for about a month and a bit, and as of today, I've hit my 500 mb limit with an additional 70 mb in overage.

That being said, I didn't think I would be doing a lot of app downloading or video watching, but that all changed as soon as I got the 10.... Depending on your carrier (I'm with Rogers Wireless in Canada) and your plan, I suggest you increase it to at least 1 gb per month.
    Empyrean likes this.
    03-25-13 11:22 PM
    long story short... You need a lot... Get as much as you can afford....
    Empyrean likes this.
    03-25-13 11:42 PM
    On my 9330 I use on average around 4-500MB a month, on the Android devices I've had it was around 1.5GB a month easily. You'll need quite a bit of data.
    Empyrean likes this.
    03-25-13 11:54 PM
    with my 9800 I would use typically 60mb per month. my first 2 months of z10 usage has me at about 180mb per month. no music or video, few apps. emails, texts, bbm mostly.
    Empyrean likes this.
    03-26-13 12:04 AM
    I'm a heavy user. On my 9900 I used approx. 1 gb/month. With similar use on the Z10, I'm at approx. 2.5gb.

*** When you set up your device and add accounts, etc., try to be on WiFi. The start-up will chew up a good amount of data.
    Empyrean likes this.
    03-26-13 10:32 AM
    3-4 times what you needed on BIS would be safe.
    With the extra multimedia capabilities, if you can afford more, go for it.
    No one regrets more data.
    Empyrean likes this.
    03-26-13 10:56 AM
    I was using 600-800mb on my Bold 9900. In my first month with the Z10, I used 3.2gb.

Luckily I got a 6gb package.
    Empyrean likes this.
    03-26-13 11:31 AM
    I can't give you any real numbers, but the best advice I can offer (for any LTE handset, not just BB10s) is that if you have regular steady access to Wi-Fi, make use of it! Your wallet will thank you for it when the monthly bill comes.

On my Android phone (which isn't LTE), according to the data monitor, I use over 2 GB a month on wifi and about 150 MB a month on HSPA+/3G (my cap is 400 MB). I have steady access to wifi at work and at home so I always keep it connected when I can.

If I didn't have wifi, I'd easily exceed my limit. I don't even stream videos on my phone - this is just from updating apps and general email and whatsapp and web surfing.

Many people make the mistake of thinking "oh I don't surf that much, a small cap is fine", but with LTE, that doesn't really work. Let's say you surf only 5 minutes a day - on 3G you might cover only 10 websites in that time span due to slower speeds. On LTE you might cover 20 websites in that time because of the faster download speed. Even though the amount of time you spend surfing hasn't changed, you've used double the data you'd normally consume.

And that is why connecting to Wi-Fi when possible is a great idea. If you're at home or at work just leave the phone on a charger if battery is a concern.
    Empyrean likes this.
    03-26-13 12:09 PM
    I get a ton of work emails, a good 2-3 dozen a day. I use the device one **** of a lot, and connect to Wifi whenever I can. The usage figures are well within 1GB, and most of the time wifi and 3g combined at a 1 : 4 ratio totals just over 500mb... so 1gb is safe
    Empyrean likes this.
    03-26-13 03:13 PM