I agree it should have been a taller device with more screen. To me, the q10 is a two handed device with the physical keyboard anyhow
    Totally agree. I use two hands on my 9900 anyway and can type emails in seconds whilst touch-screen users are still on their first sentence.
    03-15-13 05:41 AM
    Great post. So true. Love your boobs. That really you?
    03-15-13 11:24 PM
    Kinda sad that you need to type out three paragraphs for fear of being labeled a troll....these boards need to relax a bit if BB is ever to be taken seriously...other forums are talking about life improving applications or applications of the phone, while we are still bickering about where your allegiance stands.

But don't forget, I believe this space also protects the phone from cracking...the iphones weakest spot is the screen, giving the impact zone must also add strength by just allowing more energy to transfer to the sides of the phone.
    You're gorgeous cookie
    crackcookie likes this.
    03-15-13 11:26 PM
    But don't forget, I believe this space also protects the phone from cracking...the iphones weakest spot is the screen, giving the impact zone must also add strength by just allowing more energy to transfer to the sides of the phone.
    Can't tell you how many iphones I see with cracked screens...
    03-17-13 09:02 PM
    So is the device perfectly designed? Is any device perfectly designed? Being a little realistic here helps a lot, especially when they (BlackBerry) decide where to go next year with their advancements.
    I have to say I really liked the design of the 9930� too bad it won�t upgrade to 10.
    03-17-13 09:06 PM
    I like the fact that the Z10 doesn't go to the edge. I tried using it for a day without the case (I have an Incipio) and I found the screen too close to the edge because of the way I hold it. I came from a 9900 and I have an iPhone 4. I far prefer to use portrait verses landscape that is almost the only way I find the iPhone is able to be used. The Z10 strikes the perfect balance for me and I never thought I would say it, but I think I can type faster and be more productive with the Z10 touch screen. I'm waiting for the Q10 to come out because my wife doesn't want a Z10, she loves her 9900. I think the Q is gonna be awesome but I am now really a big fan of a BlackBerry touchscreen for the first time. I did have a Storm and the Touch Torch 9860 I think it was. The Z10 is really in a different league and I think better then even the almighty iPhone which to me has been a leader when it came to the touch screen. Anyway sorry for the long post, just figured I could share a thought or two and Imo the fact that it doesn't go edge to edge keeps my thumbs from hiding part of it the way I prefer to hold it.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 09:53 PM
    nobody knows exactly what the q10 is going to look like upon release.
    03-17-13 10:14 PM
    I read somewhere that the 720*720 was linked back to an Android app design standard, BB did not want to create a new resolution 4*3 (which i think would have been better and i would have thought would have been supported but maybe not). Perhaps a few devs can weigh-in. If i remember right it was part of the announcements about the 1280*768/720 on the app design specs for the Z.
    03-18-13 07:26 AM
    I agree with this. I switched out a car holster that held the Z from its sides because I couldn't charge it at the same time.
    03-18-13 08:21 AM
    I think 4:3 or 3:2 should have been used instead of 1:1 - going 16:9 or 16:10 would kinda ruin the well-loved form factor that's so popular with Bold users. 4:3 is not uncommon on low end Androids and all iPads are 4:3, which means many popular apps are already designed for that form factor. 3:2 is even more common (all iPhones before the 5, some low end Androids) and pretty much all apps out there are guaranteed to scale to that aspect ratio due to the iPhones using it.
    I think the issue with an aspect ratio that isnt 1:1 is that the screen would have to be taller than it is wide, which would result in a very tall phone or a more cramp keyboard. Also, throwing in the aspect ratios of Apple products into the discussion has little merit as Apple uses C# as opposed to Android's Java. One would not have a fun time porting an Apple app to work on the Android runtime environment just so people can sideload it to BB10.
    03-18-13 12:46 PM
    I'm one of the many on here who cannot wait to get the Q10 in my hands, especially in white! I do however can't help myself in throwing a little opinion on what design flaws I see going into this new Blackberry from a hardware standpoint.

I was an avid blackberry user in the past, as I started with a curve 8330, a storm 2, and a tour 9650 before finally switching to a droid incredible 2 almost 2 years ago because of the frustration I had with reboot loops, hour glass problems, memory problems, app functionality, etc.

I'm ready to come back to BlackBerry, but I'm in no way a fanboy or a troller. I do however want it to be known that by pointing out design flaws, it does not mean I am bashing the phone in any way, as no phone is 100% perfect. Android is too fragmented and its devices are getting way too big, iphone5 is too elongated and the home button is a bit outdated for my taste. That said, I am goin to chose the Q10 for Verizon for the simpe reason that the design is 95% what I was looking for and I truly miss my keyboard, especially now that email and messaging is more important than ever to me.

Now that you have a bit of background, let me talk about the 5% that i don't like and see if anyone agrees. Its probably more 3%, but either way it is something.

I dislike the way the screen is not edge to edge in the sides. If you are going to sacrifice screen size for a keyboard, at the very least, use the space you have wisely. In an era of edge to edge screen technology, I was surprised to see a picture frame boarder around the already sacrificed screen size.

Also, one thing I do love is the metal band, especially that slant it does as it turns into the keyboard, or front of the device. Its metal and it shows, similar to the iphone5 which is designed the same way. However, i noticed that it doesn't follow the same curvature as it goes to the back of the device.

These 2 flaws are just small things I wanted to point out and see if others felt the same way about. As I said previously, design wise, its near flawless and in no way will hinder my desire to buy one, as I will find many more flaws with any other device on the market. But....... How many agree with that I've said? Could they have done this better?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Why? Have you seen the FINAL VERSION of Q10? How can you complain when you don't even know what the finished product would look like. The latest leaks still show prototypes.
    03-18-13 03:50 PM
    Since we're talking only about design, two words: Bold 9780. That's perfect design: http://blackberry4sale.files.wordpre...-bold-9780.jpg
    03-18-13 04:35 PM
    I kinda have to agree. It could have been a tad bit bigger like the 9000 or 9900, but overall, i always loved this design. The curved keyboard is definitely better too! The trackpad in this day in age.... i would eliminate it to keep the screen bigger as they are doing now... But this phone was sweet!

03-18-13 05:02 PM
    1:1 could be fine if they just use black bars at the top/bottom or sides non-native Q10 apps with different aspect ratios.

Sure, it would reduce the screen real estate but you could have all the apps, even if non optimized, right a launch.

IB
    03-19-13 09:08 PM
    Since we're talking only about design, two words: Bold 9780. That's perfect design: http://blackberry4sale.files.wordpre...-bold-9780.jpg
    Is there such a thing as a perfect design ? Regardless.. I have to agree that the 9780 is probably the most pure Blackberry design. The silver banded flat face of the 9900 is influenced by the Iphone to some degree.
    03-19-13 09:21 PM
    Why? Have you seen the FINAL VERSION of Q10? How can you complain when you don't even know what the finished product would look like. The latest leaks still show prototypes.
    Yes ... and so have you ... At this point they are probably manufacturing their first big batch. It is just about the software now.
    03-19-13 09:25 PM
    This thread just proves that you can never please everybody. ( I with the 3.5 inch screen crowd)
    I think the black Q10 looks with the bigger steel frets looks classy. My only complaint is the glass weave back cover. Most reviewers of the Z10 have very positive things to say about the rubberized back.
    03-19-13 09:32 PM
    This thread just proves that you can never please everybody. ( I with the 3.5 inch screen crowd)
    I think the black Q10 looks with the bigger steel frets looks classy. My only complaint is the glass weave back cover. Most reviewers of the Z10 have very positive things to say about the rubberized back.
    When I heard the frets were metal, I was really hoping they were part of the entire casing. Not sure how this works then... Just attached to the plastic I guess.

BB10 screen not edge-to-edge-image.jpg

BB10 screen not edge-to-edge-image.jpg
    03-19-13 09:45 PM
    I agree that the shape of the Q10 is flawed. BlackBerry's own developer documentation suggests apps on the phone will force the user to scroll too much - not to mention popular games will need to be specially reversioned for the phone.

I think the square screen was a mistake. They should have made the phone 1.5cm taller, moved the BlackBerry logo to the bottom of the keyboard, and squeezed in an "almost widescreen" display, something like 12:9 or 14:9.

This would deliver so much more real-estate.
    It's not really a mistake, they're being focused on the different types of consumers.

There is no such thing as a "perfect phone for everyone". BlackBerry already figured that out.
    Z10 is really the "all purpose"/generic full touch phone.
    Q10 is really the "classic" / productivity phone.

Most people getting the Q10 don't really care as much about gaming as say someone getting the Z10. They are indeed alienating the group of people that want an in between, but I think they're going to resolve that with a new slider phone.
    03-19-13 09:45 PM
    I don't even like the word "BLACKBERRY" anywhere on the front. I kind of like apple in that way... Just keep it clean black... Or white. Everyone will know what it is... Or ask if they are interested.

03-19-13 09:58 PM
    The extra bezel is the main reason why i chose the black Q10. When the screen is off (on a black Q10) you can't see the bezel. On the contrary the bezel is visible on the white Q10. Either way it is a beautiful device but i have to agree with you that they could have done this better!!!!!!!
    Well, I wouldn't say it's my "only" reason for not going with the white, but I definitely agree with what you're saying about the visible bezel thing on the white device. I think the black one is definitely "cleaner" looking while off than the white one because everything blends in. But for me, I've never been sold on the white tech gimmick. It feels very Apple to me. I like my phone to be a dark color, harder to get dirty (and as a mechanic, that white phone will not stay white for long...), cleaner looking (not in terms of dirt, but not being too "busy" looking with everything blending better), and doesn't stand out too much in a holster. I am not one of these people who put flashy things on my person or my vehicle to get attention. I'd rather stay low-key so I can decide if and when I want someone's attention...
    03-19-13 10:33 PM
    Eck, I'm sorry, but I think that's one ugly phone. Maybe I'm just spoiled with my gorgeous Bold 9900... ;-)
    03-19-13 10:35 PM
    Is there such a thing as a perfect design ? Regardless.. I have to agree that the 9780 is probably the most pure Blackberry design. The silver banded flat face of the 9900 is influenced by the Iphone to some degree.
    No it's not. It's influenced by the Bold 9000. Image
    03-19-13 11:20 PM
    It's interesting because the white z10 doesn't have a white bezal on the sides of the phone. On the contrary, the q10 in white does. Maybe it's something that'll be cleaned up before launch... Who knows.

03-19-13 11:59 PM
    No it's not. It's influenced by the Bold 9000. Image
    Look at pictures of the side view of the Iphone 4 and the side view of the 9900 . Both have a slim flat stainless steel band. That was my point of reference.
    03-20-13 09:44 PM
81 1234