I'm one of the many on here who cannot wait to get the Q10 in my hands, especially in white! I do however can't help myself in throwing a little opinion on what design flaws I see going into this new Blackberry from a hardware standpoint.

I was an avid blackberry user in the past, as I started with a curve 8330, a storm 2, and a tour 9650 before finally switching to a droid incredible 2 almost 2 years ago because of the frustration I had with reboot loops, hour glass problems, memory problems, app functionality, etc.

I'm ready to come back to BlackBerry, but I'm in no way a fanboy or a troller. I do however want it to be known that by pointing out design flaws, it does not mean I am bashing the phone in any way, as no phone is 100% perfect. Android is too fragmented and its devices are getting way too big, iphone5 is too elongated and the home button is a bit outdated for my taste. That said, I am goin to chose the Q10 for Verizon for the simpe reason that the design is 95% what I was looking for and I truly miss my keyboard, especially now that email and messaging is more important than ever to me.

Now that you have a bit of background, let me talk about the 5% that i don't like and see if anyone agrees. Its probably more 3%, but either way it is something.

I dislike the way the screen is not edge to edge in the sides. If you are going to sacrifice screen size for a keyboard, at the very least, use the space you have wisely. In an era of edge to edge screen technology, I was surprised to see a picture frame boarder around the already sacrificed screen size.

Also, one thing I do love is the metal band, especially that slant it does as it turns into the keyboard, or front of the device. Its metal and it shows, similar to the iphone5 which is designed the same way. However, i noticed that it doesn't follow the same curvature as it goes to the back of the device.

These 2 flaws are just small things I wanted to point out and see if others felt the same way about. As I said previously, design wise, its near flawless and in no way will hinder my desire to buy one, as I will find many more flaws with any other device on the market. But....... How many agree with that I've said? Could they have done this better?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    03-10-13 02:55 PM
    You need the "Picture Frame" design for bezel gestures.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG, SK122387, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    03-10-13 03:14 PM
    You need the "Picture Frame" design for bezel gestures.

Posted via CB10
    ... No, you dont. Though I still disagree that the Q10's bezels are a design flaw.
    03-10-13 06:14 PM
    Kinda sad that you need to type out three paragraphs for fear of being labeled a troll....these boards need to relax a bit if BB is ever to be taken seriously...other forums are talking about life improving applications or applications of the phone, while we are still bickering about where your allegiance stands.

But don't forget, I believe this space also protects the phone from cracking...the iphones weakest spot is the screen, giving the impact zone must also add strength by just allowing more energy to transfer to the sides of the phone.
    03-10-13 06:17 PM
    ... No, you dont. Though I still disagree that the Q10's bezels are a design flaw.
    Not a flaw. Just poor design and not capitalizing on space for screen real estate. For me, an actual flaw would be something a bit different. I should have used a different word for the topic heading

03-10-13 06:33 PM
    Kinda sad that you need to type out three paragraphs for fear of being labeled a troll....these boards need to relax a bit if BB is ever to be taken seriously...other forums are talking about life improving applications or applications of the phone, while we are still bickering about where your allegiance stands.

But don't forget, I believe this space also protects the phone from cracking...the iphones weakest spot is the screen, giving the impact zone must also add strength by just allowing more energy to transfer to the sides of the phone.
    I been here for too long and see how sour things can go when not explained properly

03-10-13 06:33 PM
    Not a flaw. Just poor design and not capitalizing on space for screen real estate. For me, an actual flaw would be something a bit different. I should have used a different word for the topic heading

Then I disagree that its poor design. Good design isn't necessarily eliminating all "empty" space and the amount left around the Q10's screen is trivial.
    03-10-13 06:56 PM
    It's not a flaw, it's just your personal preference.
    03-10-13 06:59 PM
    So is the device perfectly designed? Is any device perfectly designed? Being a little realistic here helps a lot, especially when they (BlackBerry) decide where to go next year with their advancements.

03-11-13 09:26 AM
    I think if the metal band had curved around to the back, it would have made the mechanical design or the back cover much more challenging. It would be hard to make it both attach securely and be easy to take on/off. The way it is now, you can slide it off instead of pry it off.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    03-11-13 09:48 AM
    My only real gripe with the physical design of both the Z10 and the Q10 is the placement of the charging port on the side rather than the bottom or the top. I understand that positioning of other components like the bezel gesture sensors might have made this necessary, but it would still be preferable to have the port on the bottom or the top, so that you can do things like answer the phone with the charger plugged in, or simply hold it one-handed more easily while connecting it to a PC for debugging.

It's not a deal breaker though. Hopefully the next handsets will resolve this.
    kajenius likes this.
    03-11-13 10:39 AM
    My only real gripe with the physical design of both the Z10 and the Q10 is the placement of the charging port on the side rather than the bottom or the top. I understand that positioning of other components like the bezel gesture sensors might have made this necessary, but it would still be preferable to have the port on the bottom or the top, so that you can do things like answer the phone with the charger plugged in, or simply hold it one-handed more easily while connecting it to a PC for debugging.

It's not a deal breaker though. Hopefully the next handsets will resolve this.
    I agree. I mean in the end, none of this is a deal breaker, but yea, ports should be at the bottom for all phones.

As for bezel gestures, I'm not sure u need a side boarder as much as u would need the one on the bottom. From the demos, it looks like u can pull left or right fairly easily from anywhere on the screen. Plus, in the end, its a touch screen, no more no less. It operates like any other out there. I don't see why anyone would excuse not utilizing those boarder spaces properly, particularly the sides.

Its not as obvious with the black device while its off. But as soon as u turn it on, u see the spaces wasted. And with the white, its very clear to see the wasted side spaces.

As for the battery door, my real gripe is that i hate when they take a radical design departure feom the design of the phone itself, just for the back. Never been a fan of that.

03-11-13 11:21 AM
    I agree. I mean in the end, none of this is a deal breaker, but yea, ports should be at the bottom for all phones.

As for bezel gestures, I'm not sure u need a side boarder as much as u would need the one on the bottom. From the demos, it looks like u can pull left or right fairly easily from anywhere on the screen. Plus, in the end, its a touch screen, no more no less. It operates like any other out there. I don't see why anyone would excuse not utilizing those boarder spaces properly, particularly the sides.

Its not as obvious with the black device while its off. But as soon as u turn it on, u see the spaces wasted. And with the white, its very clear to see the wasted side spaces.

As for the battery door, my real gripe is that i hate when they take a radical design departure feom the design of the phone itself, just for the back. Never been a fan of that.

Now this I can agree with. The ports make a little more sense on the Z10 which can be docked - and is probably best used with HDMI in landscape, but the Q10 is a portrait only device.

Still disagree about the bezels.

The battery door irks me a little, too. I prefer the Bold's design. I get the feeling that a touch of rubber on the back would have made the aesthetics "perfect".
    03-11-13 01:30 PM
    The extra bezel is the main reason why i chose the black Q10. When the screen is off (on a black Q10) you can't see the bezel. On the contrary the bezel is visible on the white Q10. Either way it is a beautiful device but i have to agree with you that they could have done this better!!!!!!!
    03-11-13 02:07 PM
    The extra bezel is the main reason why i chose the black Q10. When the screen is off (on a black Q10) you can't see the bezel. On the contrary the bezel is visible on the white Q10. Either way it is a beautiful device but i have to agree with you that they could have done this better!!!!!!!
    The white verizon of the z10 keeps the black bezal so in essense, it looks like it had a white hat n chin only. In the black version, the bezal is more consealed. I don't know... In an age of edge to edge screen, i still opt for less bezal like the droid razr m. Guess that's just my preference.

03-11-13 02:36 PM
    Amen to that
    RicanMedic78 likes this.
    03-11-13 02:41 PM
    Amen to that
    Ditto!

03-11-13 03:46 PM
    i remember when motorola advertised on the tv thier 'virtually edge to edge' screen. what i thought after a couple of minutes of thinking was how good this is but i remembered that if u were to put on a case then some of the screen would be blocked... like my 9800 that im using, the front cover is cover some of the screen border. i have seen prototypes where the screen is edge to edge and i agree its better but the case issue is one thing to think about
    03-13-13 06:40 PM
    I dislike the way the screen is not edge to edge in the sides. If you are going to sacrifice screen size for a keyboard, at the very least, use the space you have wisely. In an era of edge to edge screen technology, I was surprised to see a picture frame boarder around the already sacrificed screen size.
    Also, one thing I do love is the metal band, especially that slant it does as it turns into the keyboard, or front of the device. Its metal and it shows, similar to the iphone5 which is designed the same way. However, i noticed that it doesn't follow the same curvature as it goes to the back of the device.
    I agree 110% with you on this, it annoys me too slightly but it is what it is tbh
    03-13-13 11:01 PM
    I agree that the shape of the Q10 is flawed. BlackBerry's own developer documentation suggests apps on the phone will force the user to scroll too much - not to mention popular games will need to be specially reversioned for the phone.

I think the square screen was a mistake. They should have made the phone 1.5cm taller, moved the BlackBerry logo to the bottom of the keyboard, and squeezed in an "almost widescreen" display, something like 12:9 or 14:9.

This would deliver so much more real-estate.
    Fnen90 likes this.
    03-14-13 08:17 AM
    I agree that the shape of the Q10 is flawed. BlackBerry's own developer documentation suggests apps on the phone will force the user to scroll too much - not to mention popular games will need to be specially reversioned for the phone.

I think the square screen was a mistake. They should have made the phone 1.5cm taller, moved the BlackBerry logo to the bottom of the keyboard, and squeezed in an "almost widescreen" display, something like 12:9 or 14:9.

This would deliver so much more real-estate.
    Not if they keep the space bar - page down function, no more scrolling.
    03-14-13 12:02 PM
    I agree it should have been a taller device with more screen. To me, the q10 is a two handed device with the physical keyboard anyhow, so just go ahead and make it the size of my galaxy s3 or even the note 2. They are two handed devices for me already, and the bigger physical frame would give it so much more screen. I'm sure there were engineering reasons as to why the screen doesn't go more edge to edge and why the top bezel is gigantic, but I wish it weren't that way. Decent for a first try on the reinventing of the brand, but not stellar given the 18-month-and-counting gap between qwerty device releases.
    Fnen90 likes this.
    03-14-13 06:37 PM
    Exactly... Although i wouldn't go much bigger (hate gs and note flr that reason), i definitely would have expected edge to edge screen, especially on the sides and on top a bit more.

03-14-13 06:58 PM
    I think 4:3 or 3:2 should have been used instead of 1:1 - going 16:9 or 16:10 would kinda ruin the well-loved form factor that's so popular with Bold users. 4:3 is not uncommon on low end Androids and all iPads are 4:3, which means many popular apps are already designed for that form factor. 3:2 is even more common (all iPhones before the 5, some low end Androids) and pretty much all apps out there are guaranteed to scale to that aspect ratio due to the iPhones using it.
    03-14-13 07:22 PM
    Cruicially, I think if the OS was designed with 4:3 or 3:2 in mind, then there wouldn't have had to be too much scrolling or redesigning. Apps would be built for 4:3 or 3:2 (or 14:9) and on the Z10 they would just expand to fill the extra space - just like when we moved to widescreen TV - the extra space was filled with pictures on a widescreen set but nothing important was cropped on the 4:3 sets.
    03-15-13 05:30 AM
81 123 ...