Yesterday, I drove from Westchester County, New York to Columbus Ohio. I rented a car which did not have GPS but I didn't think I needed to rent one as I had my Q10 and Blackberry Maps. I plugged in the destination address and my Q10 mapped it out. All good for now. I proceeded to follow the directions but at one point the directions wanted me to take an interstate that would have had me go pretty much to Philadelphia and from there over to Columbus. I thought that was odd and quite a bit out of the way so I pulled over at a Starbucks in New Jersey and took out my laptop to check out the routing on Google Maps. Was I in for a shock.

The idiotic BB Maps would have had me go almost 200 miles out of my way. Luckily, I had the presence of mind to double check which saved me an almost 3 hour detour out of my way. I ended up pulling the sim card from my Q10 and inserting it into my back-up cheapo Chinese Android device which has a Google Maps app and after plugging in the correct coordinates, I was on my way.

Google Maps on the BB Browser doesn't work as the audio isn't audible and the lack of a Google Maps app means you have to rely on the pathetic BB Maps app which seems incapable of giving directions between two major U.S. cities (NYC -> Columbus).
    08-15-13 07:52 PM
    I recently purchased BeMaps Pro and I find it much better than BBMaps. I'm gonna blow that app away. How lucky for you to find the error before you drove hours out of your way! I'd be hysterical if that happened to me!
    08-15-13 08:06 PM
    Sideload Google maps. Works

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 08:15 PM
    Sideload Google maps. Works

Posted via CB10
    I just won't use my Q10 for navigation anymore and will dump it as soon as it craps out. When BBM becomes available cross platform and with how pin-to-pin messaging has been so brutally degraded in BB10, the only thing left on Q10 is the keyboard.
    LudwigvonKast and Caymancroc like this.
    08-15-13 08:22 PM
    BlackBerry Maps has been spot on for me. I've run it at the same time as my vehicle GPS and they were essentially mimicking each other.

Posted via CB10
    potatoguy likes this.
    08-15-13 08:48 PM
    Yea. My wife and I were in Chicago last weekend and tried to use it. I bailed quickly and used her iPhone instead which has Google maps on it.
    08-15-13 08:56 PM
    It's unfortunate that it didn't work well for you.
    What were the BlackBerry maps route settings at the time it failed you?
    08-15-13 09:01 PM
    BlackBerry maps has been amazing for me. Better than Google in my opinion. Never let me down yet.

Posted via CB10 with Z10
    08-15-13 09:02 PM
    BlackBerry maps work like a charm
    For me, it always been spot on
    Sorry to hear about your luck. :/

Posted using my Z10 and CB10
    08-15-13 11:42 PM
    I just won't use my Q10 for navigation anymore and will dump it as soon as it craps out. When BBM becomes available cross platform and with how pin-to-pin messaging has been so brutally degraded in BB10, the only thing left on Q10 is the keyboard.
    Couldn't agree more. Blackberry Maps is probably the worst mapping solution out there. It is worse than Apple Maps and Nokia's solution.

Blackberry should throw in the towel on the mapping solution and surrender to Google's map app, paying for it if need be.
    08-16-13 12:12 AM
    Especially when it simply fails to work at all, I just get a blank screen with my location dot. No maps. Wifi, 3G, or LTE makes no difference. Also tried clearing the maps app cache, and the browser cache. Completely useless.

BB10 Map still needs some work :|-img_00000110.png

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 12:47 AM
    I was hoping to get some directions with my Z10 when I went to China. surprise surprise, no china map for the bb map. And yes, the blank screen with a dot happens to me a lot.
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    08-16-13 12:59 AM
    I have had really good luck with the BlackBerry maps, although once it didn't tell me to make a turn until it was too late to make the turn. Was surprised how easy it was to follow on my bbq10 screen. I thought it would be too small but I have had no problems. Would be nice if it had some landmarks like gas stations.

I always still carry paper directions just in case.

Posted via CB10 with my BBQ
    08-16-13 04:30 AM
    In Sweden where I live there are no BlackBerry maps at all. Someone told me that an update is coming, but I don't know when

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 04:33 AM
    In Sweden where I live there are no BlackBerry maps at all. Someone told me that an update is coming, but I don't know when

Posted via CB10
    I was in Stockholm after purchasing my Z10 (pre-Q10) and tried to use BB Maps. All I got was "map unavailable". I mean, Stockholm isn't exactly some remote community!
    08-16-13 06:31 AM
    It's unfortunate that it didn't work well for you.
    What were the BlackBerry maps route settings at the time it failed you?
    I have never changed the settings since unboxing the Q10 so it would have been the default factory settings.
    08-16-13 06:32 AM
    Use Waze : GPS Navigation for Free
    trinichindian likes this.
    08-16-13 06:44 AM
    BB maps is just like apple maps - a total piece of ****... It may work in other countries, but in the US, i've found that it blows! I am in Washington DC, and when it is finding my location, it constantly places me in Tennessee, or Georgia... it's just stupid!

I sideloaded Google maps version 6.14 on my Q10, and it works fine. The thing with BeMaps Pro 10 is that Navi still goes through BB Maps.

With 10.2 around the corner, we will have access to Google Maps 7.0.2 (current version that is also on the iPhone) which runs spectacular, hell, it even has street view (Be Maps 10 also has street view)
    08-16-13 08:27 AM
    BB maps is just like apple maps - a total piece of ****... It may work in other countries, but in the US, i've found that it blows! I am in Washington DC, and when it is finding my location, it constantly places me in Tennessee, or Georgia... it's just stupid!

I sideloaded Google maps version 6.14 on my Q10, and it works fine. The thing with BeMaps Pro 10 is that Navi still goes through BB Maps.

With 10.2 around the corner, we will have access to Google Maps 7.0.2 (current version that is also on the iPhone) which runs spectacular, hell, it even has street view (Be Maps 10 also has street view)

I agree about Apple maps. When Apple maps first came out I remember looking and London Heathrow airport wasn't listed on the maps. It has gotten better but I I still strictly use Google maps on my iPhone. Google maps is really nice, with both walking and driving instructions. I travel a lot and it is a hugely valuable tool.
    08-16-13 10:48 AM
    BB maps is just like apple maps - a total piece of ****... It may work in other countries, but in the US, i've found that it blows! I am in Washington DC, and when it is finding my location, it constantly places me in Tennessee, or Georgia... it's just stupid!)
    Apple Maps is so not a piece of ****.

I have been impressed with Apple maps driving around Ohio with my son who has an iPhone 5. Yesterday, we did a test with the Q10 vs the iPhone 5 going from Granville, OH to Newark, OH to Heath, OH (three neighboring towns). Siri and the iPhone 5 Apple Maps worked flawlessly. My Q10 started out great but then got lost (re-routing us as if we had taken a wrong turn because it thought we were on a parallel road vs a state highway) quickly and basically was unable to connect. Q10 was a disappointment yet again.
    08-17-13 10:12 PM
    It's ran very well for me but I did have my first issue a week ago. I was using the app to get me around Orlando. Next thing I know the app just froze on me, I've had to restart it a few times over the past week. Not to happy.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 10:33 PM
    The interface of BlackBerry maps is ugly, why can't they just make it better looking?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 01:01 AM
    The interface of BlackBerry maps is ugly, why can't they just make it better looking?

Posted via CB10
    it looks like a map. not sure how you can make it prettier.
    08-18-13 01:50 AM
    i occasionally used bb maps, but don't since a month now... the reason being that the street names all of a sudden started to display in Arabic. i don't know why and how it changed from English to Arabic but i've found no way of correcting it. otherwise it has been fairly accurate.
    08-18-13 03:29 AM
    Especially when it simply fails to work at all, I just get a blank screen with my location dot. No maps. Wifi, 3G, or LTE makes no difference. Also tried clearing the maps app cache, and the browser cache. Completely useless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000110.png 
Views:	391 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	192888

Posted via CB10
    I am having the exact same problem! I don't know why it won't load the maps. If you search for something and view the search result you can see the little piece of map associated with that, but switching over to the full map and it all goes blank!
    Just my blue location dot and maybe an arrow pointing to the search result, but no streets load!

Did you find a solution for this?
    Yes I've tried rebooting and using it over wifi or mobile networks, no difference. Sideloaded Google maps works fine though...

Posted via Z10 on CB10
    08-19-13 02:39 AM
34 12