Has anybody else noticed how much battery seems to be saved when you use WiFi as much as possible? I'm on .273 on the Q10 and the difference is quite astonishing actually. I'm on O2 in the UK and my cellular signal usually goes between 3G and HSPA+, with WiFi on the phone is much cooler even when doing heavy tasks and as I said the battery life is a lot better.

Is this the same for other people, or is this normal? I'm wondering if the radio stack (or whatever it's called.. the radio firmware) could do with some work on BB10? Hopefully future updates will continually provide improvements.
    06-09-13 06:17 AM
    This makes perfect sense. First, the Wi-Fi radio transmitter is of lower wattage than mobile. Secondly, there is much less processing work to do with Wi-Fi. The 3 things that use the most power and produce the heat are radio transmitter, processors and screen. The less you use those, the longer the battery charge lasts.
    06-09-13 06:27 AM
    Yep I know that WiFi is going to use less power for multiple reasons. Maybe I wasn't clear, does anybody think the power savings between WiFi and cellular data is disproportional compared to other smartphones; ie is the BB10 radio stack inefficient? I don't have much experience with other current popular mobiles. But I have read about some people getting better battery life by combing different OS and radio versions.

Maybe an unanswerable question!
    06-09-13 06:33 AM
    Enormous difference. It is obvious that people reporting amazing battery life stay very close all day to a good wifi connection

Posted on CB 10, browsing on my Z10 and typing on my Q10
    bbfan1040 and Jonny-R like this.
    06-09-13 01:25 PM
    The same was true with OS7 devices such as the 9900/9930. Whereas before OS7 it seemed to kill the battery faster. Props to BlackBerry for improving the efficiency.

Posted via CB10
    Jonny-R likes this.
    06-09-13 03:48 PM
    As far as I know, BB10 devices are the only mobile phones using the Paratek tuneable capacitors. They should improve power efficiency for radio transmitters. My experience is that I see no discernible difference between using Wi-Fi and LTE only. But, I use Wi-Fi much of the time.

The Z10 is the first phone I've had with LTE so I can't testify to whether BlackBerry devices show a smaller difference between mobile and Wi-Fi than other products.
    Jonny-R likes this.
    06-10-13 01:21 PM