after , wiping the phone using SIC multi wipe & installing the OS again , the problem seems to have solved . The only thing I did was not to restore any data from the previous backup.
    05-08-14 10:29 AM
    Battery pulls can cause problems, you can do an orderly hard reset without dumping the power. See below.

With OS 10.2.1, the Device Monitor makes it very easy to see what is using battery power, that should be the first place people using 10.2.1 should look to see where the battery drain is coming from. Sometimes it comes as a surprise what is sucking power. (ie certain battery-hogging apps, or things like "PIM Services" which often means corrupted contact or calendar or social media records trying to sync, which can often be fixed by deleting and re-adding all your social media and/or Hub accounts.)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...device-927512/
    Thanks for the tip, but a battery pull fixed the issue of overheating and battery drain.

Those other methods of restarting failed to.

Q10 SQN100-3/10.2.1.1925
    05-08-14 01:07 PM
    Thanks for the tip, but a battery pull fixed the issue of overheating and battery drain.

Those other methods of restarting failed to.

Then you were not doing it right.
    05-08-14 02:34 PM
    after , wiping the phone using SIC multi wipe & installing the OS again , the problem seems to have solved . The only thing I did was not to restore any data from the previous backup.

Restoring backups that contain bad, corrupted or problematic data or configurations is frequently a source of problems.

It's worse with BB10 because unlike with the previous BlackBerry desktop utility, there is not much control over what is being restored. So it's very hard to avoid "restoring problems" from a previously backed-up configuration.

This is why I am now relying more on 3rd-party backup/restore utilities for those functions, as a "backup to the backup" and in cases where I don't want to do a BlackBerry Link restore that includes all of those things.
    05-08-14 02:36 PM
    Then you were not doing it right.
    Really, how so?

Your advice said "battery pulls can cause problems" ...you sound like the type to insist on ejecting before removing usb, lighten up, my Q10 lives minus the "power related issue" that maybe just resolved itself because I suddenly removed the battery.

Q10 SQN100-3/10.2.1.1925
    05-08-14 07:59 PM
    Really, how so?

Your advice said "battery pulls can cause problems" ...you sound like the type to insist on ejecting before removing usb...

Yeah, I guess that "eject before removing USB" thing was just some fake joke Microsoft put in there just to make your little life about .001% harder.

Trust me, when one day you remove the device when it's being written to or the cache hasn't yet been flushed and trash all your files, that .001% won't look like such a big sacrifice any more.
    kbz1960 and decoy7 like this.
    05-08-14 09:31 PM
    Blackberry should provide an option to restore specific data from the backup , like they provide in legacy devices
    Restoring backups that contain bad, corrupted or problematic data or configurations is frequently a source of problems.

It's worse with BB10 because unlike with the previous BlackBerry desktop utility, there is not much control over what is being restored. So it's very hard to avoid "restoring problems" from a previously backed-up configuration.

This is why I am now relying more on 3rd-party backup/restore utilities for those functions, as a "backup to the backup" and in cases where I don't want to do a BlackBerry Link restore that includes all of those things.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-09-14 01:18 AM
    Blackberry should provide an option to restore specific data from the backup , like they provide in legacy devices
    This could be said a million times, or needs to be.
    05-09-14 06:58 AM
    You mean you stopped using Google and started using Outlook.com??

Actually the default connection method used by Outlook.com (Exchange ActiveSync) is much more battery efficient than the default connection method used by Gmail/Google. (IMAP) Especially if you are syncing many folders.

There are probably other variables related to that change that are more likely responsible for the difference that you are seeing.

Please remember that, for example, the "forever" email syncing option should be used only when absolutely necessary. If you have a very high number of messages in your inbox that you are trying to synchronize, this will cause problems.

Same thing with a very high number of contacts - ie thousands. Particularly if you are allowing the system to link them and/or if you have have the contacts option "Use cloud services to find more info about the contacts that you add to the Contacts app" enabled.
    Omnitech, what you said made a lot sense!!! I must have been stupid to set everything to syn every 15 min. Why do I need my Q10 to sync my google contacts every 15 min? Why do I keep thousands and thousands of emails in my Hotmail, Google and Yahoo mail and try to sync every 15 min? I set Google contact to sync every 24 hour, and I will move all more mails to other subfolder and keep my inbox clean, just like what I did to my company email. I've deleted other contact list from my Q10.
    05-09-14 07:04 AM
    Yep. Many people (including myself) have complained about that since the day BB10 devices (along with BlackBerry Link) hit the market.
    05-09-14 08:00 AM
    Omnitech, what you said made a lot sense!!! I must have been stupid to set everything to syn every 15 min. Why do I need my Q10 to sync my google contacts every 15 min? Why do I keep thousands and thousands of emails in my Hotmail, Google and Yahoo mail and try to sync every 15 min? I set Google contact to sync every 24 hour, and I will move all more mails to other subfolder and keep my inbox clean, just like what I did to my company email. I've deleted other contact list from my Q10.
    Just to clarify, modern email systems like Outlook.com and Gmail do not usually need a short polling time in order to receive timely notifications of new messages - because they use a "push" feature. (The exception is Yahoo, which uses a proprietary "push" system that neither BlackBerry, Windows Phone or Android support natively - only Apple supports it natively. But Apple won't do "push" on any IMAP email system which is even worse. )

The "sync interval" cannot even be set on a BB10 device for Outlook.com using default settings. For IMAP systems like Gmail and Fastmail, the polling time typically only determines when your mailbox will sync/reconcile other changes, like moves and deletions.

And it sounds like you already figured out, if you have a very large number of stored messages on your email account, one easy solution is to first of all, move them out of very busy folders like "Inbox", "Sent Messages" and so on. Then if you don't need to see ie all the older messages on the mobile device, once you've moved those into a different folder, exclude that folder from synchronization on the BlackBerry using advanced email account settings.
    05-09-14 08:22 AM
    Just to clarify, modern email systems like Outlook.com and Gmail do not usually need a short polling time in order to receive timely notifications of new messages - because they use a "push" feature. (The exception is Yahoo, which uses a proprietary "push" system that neither BlackBerry, Windows Phone or Android support natively - only Apple supports it natively. But Apple won't do "push" on any IMAP email system which is even worse. )

The "sync interval" cannot even be set on a BB10 device for Outlook.com using default settings. For IMAP systems like Gmail and Fastmail, the polling time typically only determines when your mailbox will sync/reconcile other changes, like moves and deletions.

And it sounds like you already figured out, if you have a very large number of stored messages on your email account, one easy solution is to first of all, move them out of very busy folders like "Inbox", "Sent Messages" and so on. Then if you don't need to see ie all the older messages on the mobile device, once you've moved those into a different folder, exclude that folder from synchronization on the BlackBerry using advanced email account settings.
    Very helpful information... I removed all my Hotmail and Yahoo messages to subfolders. Just trying to figure out how to create a subfolder in Gmail...
    05-09-14 09:21 AM
    Very helpful information... I removed all my Hotmail and Yahoo messages to subfolders. Just trying to figure out how to create a subfolder in Gmail...

Gmail does not use folders, they use "tags".

As a result, in order to talk to non-Google email clients, they have to "emulate" folders. And this is because logically a folder and a tag are fundamentally different: you cannot place the same message in multiple folders at the same time (unless you make copies), whereas you can have multiple tags on a single email message. This logical distinction sometimes causes problems with Google mail.

Gmail's configuration settings have a page devoted to how your tags are handled and which ones are visible as folders to an external email client. Make sure when you set those settings, do not include "All Mail" as visible in IMAP, or else you will have big sync issues due to the massive size of that emulated "folder" and also duplicate messages.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-09-14 10:00 AM

Yeah, I guess that "eject before removing USB" thing was just some fake joke Microsoft put in there just to make your little life about .001% harder.

Trust me, when one day you remove the device when it's being written to or the cache hasn't yet been flushed and trash all your files, that .001% won't look like such a big sacrifice any more.
    That's more like it, I got you laughing...of course I eject before removing, Macs are more prone to damage than PC's doing this so I'd rather not risk it...but fear not, the battery pull is nowhere near as dangerous as this, but kids reading may not want to try this at home all the same

Q10 SQN100-3/10.2.1.1925
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-09-14 11:11 AM
    Gmail does not use folders, they use "tags".

As a result, in order to talk to non-Google email clients, they have to "emulate" folders. And this is because logically a folder and a tag are fundamentally different: you cannot place the same message in multiple folders at the same time (unless you make copies), whereas you can have multiple tags on a single email message. This logical distinction sometimes causes problems with Google mail.

Gmail's configuration settings have a page devoted to how your tags are handled and which ones are visible as folders to an external email client. Make sure when you set those settings, do not include "All Mail" as visible in IMAP, or else you will have big sync issues due to the massive size of that emulated "folder" and also duplicate messages.
    Wow. It looks like a full time job to tag thousands of emails one by one and move them... Again, very educational information, though. I might consider to minimize my email subscription to Gmail...
    05-09-14 11:28 AM
    Wow. It looks like a full time job to tag thousands of emails one by one and move them... Again, very educational information, though. I might consider to minimize my email subscription to Gmail...
    Wait. I take that back. My apologies. I did find "select all" and moved them to different category. THANKS A MILLION!
    kbz1960 and Omnitech like this.
    05-09-14 11:32 AM
    Sorry I just realized I used the wrong terminology. What I called here "tags", Google calls "labels".

Too little sleep last night...
    05-09-14 04:15 PM
    The problem with the battery draining quickly and overheating appears to be a programming error. Mine suddenly started doing the same thing over a two day period. Finally, the battery went dead before I could get it to a charger and I had to re-start the phone. Oh gee... The problem went away with the re-start! Just like your PC at home, most glitches can be resolved by shutting it down completely and restarting.
    11-14-14 10:58 PM
43 12