battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000747.png

I too have cruddy battery life on my zed10. Have since day 1 (Canadian launch day) and haven't figured out what it may be.

Did a device wipe about a week ago and installed NO apps in order to see if it was one of then.. apparently not as the drain is still there.

Sometimes the device just gets really hot (> +40degC ) and when that happens the battery just plummets. This will occasionally happen with the device 'idle' in my pocket.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 07:25 PM
    Sometimes the device just gets really hot (> +40degC ) and when that happens the battery just plummets. This will occasionally happen with the device 'idle' in my pocket.
    Yeah, although you're not the only one with that sort of graph, I'd be taking it back and getting a replacement or a fix, or possibly switching carriers if that turns out to be cellular radio-related consumption.

You'd have to experiment a bit with turning off wifi and/or cellular and see which, if anything, makes it go away entirely. Also check your signal strength to see if it's really weak.

A device in standby (even with wifi and cell turned on) should be using less than 0.1W on average, which basically means the middle grid line should be touched by the thick black line in that graph.
    06-07-13 08:00 PM
    battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000027.png

this was my graph with wifi turned on, was still using phone till 430, but i have no idea whats happening at 630-8. perhaps someone turned off the router.

i'll get a sim card replacement and update my results again.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 10:59 PM
    I changed another sim card of mine, different carrier, however still the spikes, so, is it a problem with my device or area ?
    06-08-13 03:49 AM
    Me again. Replacement Q10 due to arrive on Wed.

Yesterday, I made the mistake of going out with only two batteries instead of three. Here is a graph with data turned off (and maybe turned back on once or twice an hour for 5 minutes to get bbm's through):

battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000135.png

Interestingly, I noted that with data off, the names in my recent call list disappeared, leaving just the numbers. Does that mean that the b/b address book itself is stored over the cloud?

If so, is there a way to change the sync rate of this?

setting/setup>accounts and u have all ur contacts calanders and mails sync duration

Posted via CB10
    I can't find the base b/b contacts listed there though? Confused.

to OP, are you using whatsapp often ?
    Had this deleted for a couple of days. No difference. I did reinstall it yesterday, as I needed to message one of my ladyfriends who uses it.
    06-09-13 03:18 AM
    I think it is a service provider issue, best way to test is just pick up a prepaid sim with another provider and try it out, but this will end up costing about 100$ to test out since you will need to unlock, then load up some money for pay as you go aka prepaid. Maybe I'm spoiled, but i feel like I'm getting optimal results with battery life, here's my graph from last night while I slept, this was with wifi on:

battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000731.png

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 09:19 AM
    great post...so what is the best process to follow to condition a new Q10 battery in a "first time used" Q10? Thanks!
    06-09-13 09:48 AM
    great post...so what is the best process to follow to condition a new Q10 battery in a "first time used" Q10? Thanks!
    I never conditioned mine at all, i bought the phone, it came dead out of the box, charge for 1 hour, was at 50% used it at work, died after about 7 hours, came home, put it on charger from laptop usb, was restoring from z10, and just playing with phone, charged until full and then just went about using it like normal, charge at night before i sleep, use for the day, and just followed that since then.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 10:19 AM
    this is what i did

out of box > 100% > 0% > 100% > 0% > 100% all with wall socket usb charger and phone switched off when charging to full. and now i just do as when needed, little bits here and there with either wall charger or connected to lappy with usb. jeeez who knows what is right and correct but that initial process felt good to me
    06-09-13 01:22 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000747.png 
Views:	791 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	169416

I too have cruddy battery life on my zed10. Have since day 1 (Canadian launch day) and haven't figured out what it may be.

Did a device wipe about a week ago and installed NO apps in order to see if it was one of then.. apparently not as the drain is still there.

Posted via CB10
    Can you do another overnight test with wifi on, and data off (preferabel 2G/3G mode)
    I had a similar profile, but not with such a high idle consumption!!!

Still doing testing, but I came to the point that it had to be the network consumption that's causing such a profile. I don't have any high consumption on wifi.
    I also noticed that my APN has changed between 10.0 and 10.1, where my Idle consumption increased in 10.1. (Z10 STL100-1, STL100-2 os 10.0 and 10.1 tested and the Q10 SQN100-3 all increased consumption in OS10.1).

Now I only have to test 10.1 with the APN used in 10.0 (I think sometime this week when I have time).
    06-09-13 05:36 PM
    Hello again, my new device arrived at 1pm today.

Here is a graph of this afternoon/evening. At the moment, I'm putting it down to new device and synching.

On the plus side, I now have four NX1 batteries.
    battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000164.png
    06-12-13 04:04 PM
    Ya, im starting to think it's your service provider, replacement phones, many batteries, and i believe you wrote your previous device also had issues, try using your old device for a bit and no sim in the q10, use the q10 only on wifi only, see how that affects your battery life? I have a feeling it may improve greatly

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 07:40 PM
    Here's my experience.

Yesterday is the best example. My Q10 was fully charged at 2pm at work. I needed to make sure it was in tip top shape for by speed ride today on my Cannondale CAAD10. Anyway, when I got home around 530 I loaded up my fitness tracker app to get ready to go.

Fitness Tracker requires location services to be on since it measures speed, time distance and of course, your location.

4G always on

Streaming Slacker radio.

Now with my Q10 running at such a hard pace I thought it would for sure die during my ride. I was wrong.

After an hour and a half of using Fitness Tracker and streaming Slacker the Q10 battery took a noticeable but SMALL hit. I arrived home, looked at my results on my Q10, ate, scoured crackberry, took a shower, scoured The Web (now that I was in bed. I was very tired after going to the gym at 6am, then taking a rough ride 12 hours later at 6pm). I was on the phone (talk time) for about 2 hours, downloaded some apps, killed more time on crackberry since I'm addicted to typing on this thing, then fell asleep on the phone with the girlfriend. Don't know how long the phone call lasted since I fell asleep and I woke up to a dead battery. Definitely passed midnight since I didn't start closing my eyes until 1030. My phone was at maybe 25 percent at that point.

Brightness is lowered to about 30 percent. Bluetooth is off when I'm not using it. WiFi is off when I'm not using it. I'm receiving crackberry, facebook and twitter notifications 24/7. That means Crackberry news and forum posts I've participated in, mentions only for facebook, mentions only for twitter and of course email.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 06:45 AM
    Hello,

My experience with SW 10.1.0.238 on Swedish carrier Telia SE is the following;

battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000281.png
    This is during night and with 4G off and a couple of IMAP and exchange accounts on push.
    I hope you'll find the cause.

Regards,
    Per
    06-14-13 02:59 AM
    Seems like most people that have those charts from whatever blackberry 10 battery monitoring that is, has a fast discharging battery experience. Then again if it's not the app I have no idea. I've had a fantastic experience with the battery.

It may not be your phone either. It could be your location. The Q10 is a 4G phone. Do you have 4G your area? If not, turn off 4G so your phone quits looking for that strong signal. Is WiFi off when you're not using it? Same goes for bluetooth. How about the brightness of your screen? Also make sure you turn off location services if you're not using GPS based apps like a fitness tracker, or mapping app.

Do you live in a metropolitan area? I live in a city of 35,000 people so our cell towers don't get unstable. We're not a massive town but we're not too small either. Do you have signal every where you go or does your Q10 struggle at times to find a tower? Is your city like New York City? Is it a city of 8 million? Lots of buildings? When I go to the NYC every few months I notice that my battery discharges at least 30% faster. There could be various factors. Let me know if any of these things helped just so my typing wasn't for anything

I know most of these things people know but honestly...some still don't. not their fault. It could be there first smartphone. So... good luck!

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 06:42 AM
    Seems like most people that have those charts from whatever blackberry 10 battery monitoring that is, has a fast discharging battery experience. Then again if it's not the app I have no idea. I've had a fantastic experience with the battery.
    It's not the app. :-) The app is Battery Guru (which I wrote), and the reason most people that have those charts have a fast discharging experience is because people who have a fast discharging experience get the app, to help them troubleshoot and learn more, and then they come here and post their screenshots to solicit advice from others. Those without issues mostly don't get the app, and they certainly almost never come here with questions.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-14-13 07:49 AM
    It's not the app. :-) The app is Battery Guru (which I wrote), and the reason most people that have those charts have a fast discharging experience is because people who have a fast discharging experience get the app, to help them troubleshoot and learn more, and then they come here and post their screenshots to solicit advice from others. Those without issues mostly don't get the app, and they certainly almost never come here with questions.
    This is true, i mainly got the app to monitor poor battery, figured out the problem, then i stopped using it until recently, i like just having the active frame open so i can see % of battery remaining!

Good job on the app! But one suggestion i would like to make, and this may not be possible, but are you able to monitor what app is using how much of the battery? I know my galaxy s3 had this built into the OS

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    06-14-13 08:34 AM
    This is true, i mainly got the app to monitor poor battery, figured out the problem, then i stopped using it until recently, i like just having the active frame open so i can see % of battery remaining!

Good job on the app! But one suggestion i would like to make, and this may not be possible, but are you able to monitor what app is using how much of the battery? I know my galaxy s3 had this built into the OS

Posted via CB10
    what was the problem?

From the ZED via CB10.. booyah!
    06-14-13 08:38 AM
    Unfortunately it's not something BlackBerry has exposed on BB10 in the same way as Android does. It's effectively impossible right now to write an app that does this, sadly enough. I'm working on some alternative approaches for an upcoming release, which will help but not truly replace that sort of feature (which is a frequent request). There will likely be some improvements in 10.2 that will help in this area though, for what that's worth.
    06-14-13 09:05 AM
    Has anyone with battery issues fix them yet or at least diagnosed the issue? I'm asking because my battery is still doing very well.

I used fitness tracker again yesterday around 6PM. Battery around 80%
    Location services on
    4G
    Fitness tracker app open
    About 90 minutes.
    Turned my bluetooth on in the car.
    I pick up food, go home. Play with the phone a bit. Completely forgot to turn off location services.
    Call my girlfriend around 12am. We talk and talk. Eventually we both fell asleep and left the phones on. I wake up at about 7am. Phone was off the charger mind you. I decided to plug it in thinking it was dead. I hit the lock button only to find out I was still on the call.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 07:55 AM
    what was the problem?

Ebay app!

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    06-16-13 09:04 AM
    Did you mean to include a screenshot that includes that lady's cellphone number?

No positive news from me yet, phone is using batteries for around 4-5 hours each. I have the stand-alone charger permanently charging a battery.
    06-16-13 10:37 AM
    Hello add me guys pin:2ae8a181

Posted via Q10 2AE8A181
    06-16-13 10:41 AM
    Ebay app!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I dusted that app almost as soon as I downloaded it.

Not my issue in this case.

peter9477 likes this.
    06-16-13 03:07 PM
    is anyone else having issues trying to turn push off for outlook email accounts?

im trying to get the best battery life possible ( i have lte off) but even though my outlook email is set to not push and refresh maunally, it still is pushing emails...ive have reset my phone and i have pulled the battery but nothng is working
    06-16-13 03:17 PM
182 ... 45678