I've just checked through the settings of the three email accounts I have set up on here.

They were all set to sync every 30 mins. I've switched all to 'manual'. I've left 'push' on (for now).

Bluetooth is now off (until tuesday) so will report again tomorrow.
    James:

I remember in the Playbook OS there was a bug that if you set certain types of email to manual, you got a constant battery drain.

Who is your email provider?

Here is a Playbook thread showing the bug. Your BatteryGuru graph looks similar.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-2-0-a-702943/
    05-30-13 12:21 PM
    James, something is wrong for sure.
    I would recommend looking into getting an exchange or something. I am sorry but your battery consumption is way out of the average reported the way I understand it.

Sorry to see you experiencing this.

Posted via CB10
    This is my second device (no worse but no better than the first device, which I had for three days.
    05-30-13 01:25 PM
    Are you using BBM groups with your BBM contacts? You seem to be using a lot of data, so as suggested above, you have some process that uses data stuck in a loop. What is your email provider and setup? What is your OS version?
    I have just removed myself from the two (inactive) bbm groups I was in.

I have a gmail, a hotmail, and an aol on it (now set to 24 hour sync). Each gets only 2 or 3 emails a day.

I have an SQN100-3 with OS 10.1.0.273. Thank you
    05-30-13 01:35 PM
    Okay, so I've had my Q10 (two different ones, swapped on Fri). I have two batteries (with a third just arrived today).

Geographic: virtually every day, I've been moving around constantly, driving out on the road. Most areas have a decent 3G signal.

Phone status: bluetooth on (with a headset) all the time, network mode set to 3g & 2g (ie with 4g off). No GPS use (though I haven't turned location services off).

Usage: mainly standby, with several received calls and made calls. A bit of bbm and browsing for a few minutes each hour, and during lunchbreak.

Installed: I purposely haven't logged into facebook/linkedin/twitter/etc apps at all on this second Q10.

I get approx 6 hours battery life out of each battery. I try to swap around the time the 10% alert comes on.

Comments?
    I think you really need to talk more in depth about your situation. Not saying that the phone can't get low battery life, that is always possible. But what are you listening to, just music or Pandora? What happens when you use Wi-fi, maybe there is some sort of radio chip problem in your phones?

You say you are driving a lot, what type of driving are you doing? City driving and freeway driving aren't one in the same, I believe freeway driving must use more power simply because the signal is jumping from tower to tower. What type of city do you live in, are there a lot of tall buildings as in Chicago, or are you coasting through Kansas?

What carrier are you on and is your phone from your carrier? Maybe if you got it from someone else, they have yet to optimize it or I dunno...just trying to rule out all the variables.
    05-30-13 01:44 PM
    James, here is what I would do.

1. Wipe your phone and reload the OS.

2. Install Battery Guru and check usage of a totally clean phone

3. Add your accounts one at a time and check usage for at least 2 hours before adding the next account

4. If everything is still ok up to this point, reinstall apps, one at a time, with at least 2 hours in between.

Unless your phone is still active with no accounts set up and no apps other than Battery Guru, this method should identify the account or app that is causing the excessive activity. Then you can start playing with settings of the errant account or app.
    05-30-13 02:13 PM
    James, here is what I would do.

1. Wipe your phone and reload the OS.

2. Install Battery Guru and check usage of a totally clean phone

3. Add your accounts one at a time and check usage for at least 2 hours before adding the next account

4. If everything is still ok up to this point, reinstall apps, one at a time, with at least 2 hours in between.

Unless your phone is still active with no accounts set up and no apps other than Battery Guru, this method should identify the account or app that is causing the excessive activity. Then you can start playing with settings of the errant account or app.
    That seems about the way to go for my understanding as well.

Also, something I am thinking about that may be totally out of logic, since I am no expert on this, please the battery savvy could let us know if this would be possible:

Maybe the battery gets affected after so many aggressive cycles. What I mean to say is that initially maybe it is the setup or some aspect of the use put on the phone or both that cause the battery to drain so fast. After quite some cycles of this happening maybe the battery gets to have a bad cycle (constant high temps of rapid discharge might cause that to my understanding).

If this is possible, then there also is a possibility that you have turned off the feature /app or whatever caused the initial problem but now your battery has suffered and it behaves in the same bad way of short cycles having had its health damaged or something?

In such possibility you may have found already what made the consumption so high, have turned it off but experiment the same effect of rapid discharge as consequence of a damaged battery?(again a battery savvy please comment to this scenario's fictional or not probability ols)

Just sharing a thought here, maybe I am totaly off just trying to help here.

All the best

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 02:40 PM
    James:

I remember in the Playbook OS there was a bug that if you set certain types of email to manual, you got a constant battery drain.

Who is your email provider?

Here is a Playbook thread showing the bug. Your BatteryGuru graph looks similar.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-2-0-a-702943/
    Thank you, this is helpful
    05-30-13 03:09 PM
    I'm having identical experiences as the OP. I have done every memory usage trick recommended both by my carrier and by Blackberry. The only thing I haven't done is a wipe and reload. I can literally watch my battery drain in front of my eyes with simple browsing, application switching, and email. One thing I have noticed overall is the amount of time and energy it takes to constantly update any app that has to refresh, i.e. the Sportsnet app when it refreshes the score. It seems awfully labour-intensive to do a quick score update. Is this something that is going to be improved with app updates? My old 9780 never did this.

On the good side, the phone does recharge very quickly. Albeit, the rate at which it charges seems to correlate to the rate by which it drains. I'm going to wait for the next software update and if there's nothing fixed, I'm going to do the wipe and reload as recommended before I attempt to exchange the hardware.

I do want to love this phone but the battery life has been a disappointment.
    05-30-13 10:57 PM
    I'm having identical experiences as the OP. I have done every memory usage trick recommended both by my carrier and by Blackberry. The only thing I haven't done is a wipe and reload. I can literally watch my battery drain in front of my eyes with simple browsing, application switching, and email. One thing I have noticed overall is the amount of time and energy it takes to constantly update any app that has to refresh, i.e. the Sportsnet app when it refreshes the score. It seems awfully labour-intensive to do a quick score update. Is this something that is going to be improved with app updates? My old 9780 never did this.

On the good side, the phone does recharge very quickly. Albeit, the rate at which it charges seems to correlate to the rate by which it drains. I'm going to wait for the next software update and if there's nothing fixed, I'm going to do the wipe and reload as recommended before I attempt to exchange the hardware.

I do want to love this phone but the battery life has been a disappointment.
    Maybe you are less stubborn than the OP and will try this (I am 99% sure this is the problem): have you tried opening an Android app? Do you get an alert telling you to close the app as soon as you open it? If so, the Android Player is f**ked and you need to reinstall the OS without restoring the application data from a backup. Hope this helps...

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 03:57 AM
    I'm having identical experiences as the OP...

...On the good side, the phone does recharge very quickly. Albeit, the rate at which it charges seems to correlate to the rate by which it drains. .
    I am sorry to see that you are having problems as well with the battery.

The fact that it charges "as quickly as it drains" is not a good thing, as it most probably means that your battery capacity has deteriorated considerably. It kind of provides indication of what I supposed in my post above. Maybe tou should consult this with a battery expert that can actually measure your battery.

Hope you get it solved!

Ps: have you guys put a claim with BlackBerry and your carrier for this?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 05:59 AM
    I am sorry to see that you are having problems as well with the battery.

The fact that it charges "as quickly as it drains" is not a good thing, as it most probably means that your battery capacity has deteriorated considerably. It kind of provides indication of what I supposed in my post above. Maybe tou should consult this with a battery expert that can actually measure your battery.

Hope you get it solved!

Ps: have you guys put a claim with BlackBerry and your carrier for this?

Posted via CB10
    He has 3 batteries, i don't think it's a battery issue, if it was a battery issue his battery guru charts should show a flatline for power consumption with a strong decline in battery life, but instead his power consumption is crazy, so this means something has to be happening on the phone that is causing the drain.

Edit: my bad i didn't realize you were talking about the other guy and not OP

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    05-31-13 10:06 AM
    So i don't think i posted this, but i was finally able to replicate the rate at which your battery life drops with similar power chart:

battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000691.png

So what i was doing was i was driving from kitchener to montreal, with the navigation on, and this is the only way i have been able to get the same results as your experience so far! Have you checked to see if maybe something is using the location features of the phone? IThere is an icon in the top left corner that indicates the location is on, it looks like this:

battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000697.png

Posted via CB10
    tekwon likes this.
    05-31-13 10:12 AM
    He has 3 batteries, i don't think it's a battery issue, if it was a battery issue his battery guru charts should show a flatline for power consumption with a strong decline in battery life, but instead his power consumption is crazy, so this means something has to be happening on the phone that is causing the drain.

Edit: my bad i didn't realize you were talking about the other guy and not OP

Posted via CB10
    Good point, but still, the curve of battery discharge would be more steep than normal in relation to power consumption. Still, is true, this does not explain the power consumption graph going crazy
    05-31-13 11:58 AM
    Why wait until tomorrow. No need to sideload anything, just install an Android app from BlackBerry World (Skype or Wordpress). If there is an issue with the Android Player you will get an alert when opening the app. The solution is reinstalling the OS without restoring the App Data from an old backup. I've learned this the hard way...

Posted via CB10
    Ah, hadn't understood that the skype on appworld was an android app.

It is now installed, and i'll report tomorrow. Thanks
    05-31-13 05:45 PM
    I have put a claim in with my carrier and will call Blackberry next week to see what might be done. I suspect it's a combination of hardware and software plus apps that don't seem to be running very efficiently.
    05-31-13 10:25 PM
    has anyone downloaded the free task manager app? all i had open was battery guru and task manager (i closed everything else via the app) and it said i had 830megs free, does the phone really use a gig of ram sitting idle? *edit* found it was a memory leak now its at 1.2gigs free.

also....is it normal for the Q10 to get warm when using it? i let it sit overnight and the temp was 27-28� i started using it and within 15 minutes the temp skyrocketed to 35� and it went from 100% charge down to 95% within that short amount of time, screen brightness is min and its on 4G (not LTE) with everything else turned off.
    Last edited by Spinal; 06-01-13 at 07:41 AM.
    05-31-13 11:15 PM
    Thanks for the task manager tip. I'm installing as we speak.
    06-01-13 05:32 PM
    with zero active frames running, my system shows 1.2gb free memory

wifi on / 3g & 2g enabled / nfc off / bt off
    Last edited by alpha beta gaga; 06-01-13 at 05:56 PM.
    06-01-13 05:41 PM
    I've just upgraded to OS 10.1.0.2354 following the Crackberry threads on upgrades.

I will see how tomorrow goes, and report then.

Initial thought is that battery consumption doesn't appear any better.
    06-02-13 03:55 PM
    I've just upgraded to OS 10.1.0.2354 following the Crackberry threads on upgrades.

I will see how tomorrow goes, and report then.

Initial thought is that battery consumption doesn't appear any better.
    Do you use maps often? And what provider are you with?

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 04:14 PM
    Do you use maps often? And what provider are you with?

Posted via CB10
    If I was to use maps, it would most likely be a couple of times a week, for like 5 mins at a time.

I'm with EE (Everything Everywhere, owner of T-Mobile and orange) in the UK.
    06-02-13 05:21 PM
    The OS isn't as good as I'd hoped. My usage today so far:

Charged overnight, unplugged at 7am
    7am - 8am browsing at home, with wifi and 4g on.
    I intentionally opened and closed skype (an android app) to hopefully rule out the issue with the Android thingy.
    8am changed to 3g and wifi off and location services off
    Current time 09:45. On the road today with work, travelling around towns and between them (but on major roads with decent 3g signal).

Advice? Try a 3rd device?battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000106.png
    06-03-13 03:53 AM
    And another graph, much the same as above.battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000110.png

Anyone got any advice?
    06-03-13 01:56 PM
    i'd say you need to speak with experts at either blackberry, your network or both now who can actually look at your device first hand
    06-03-13 02:09 PM
    i'd say you need to speak with experts at either blackberry, your network or both now who can actually look at your device first hand
    That's what I would do.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 02:16 PM
182 ... 23456 ...