Okay, so I've had my Q10 (two different ones, swapped on Fri). I have two batteries (with a third just arrived today).

Geographic: virtually every day, I've been moving around constantly, driving out on the road. Most areas have a decent 3G signal.

Phone status: bluetooth on (with a headset) all the time, network mode set to 3g & 2g (ie with 4g off). No GPS use (though I haven't turned location services off).

Usage: mainly standby, with several received calls and made calls. A bit of bbm and browsing for a few minutes each hour, and during lunchbreak.

Installed: I purposely haven't logged into facebook/linkedin/twitter/etc apps at all on this second Q10.

I get approx 6 hours battery life out of each battery. I try to swap around the time the 10% alert comes on.

Comments?
    X4xtraordinary likes this.
    05-22-13 05:10 PM
    I'd say there is something really going on in the background draining your battery way more than it should
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    05-22-13 05:24 PM
    Which os version do you have installed?
    05-22-13 05:31 PM
    Has to be 10.1
    05-22-13 05:53 PM
    Wowzers. Doesn't sound that different from my use and I get a lot longer than that

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 06:02 PM
    6 hours! Something definitely has to be wrong. Most Androids get better than that, even the old HTC EVO, which was terrible on battery life.

Would definitely be swapping out again. If not, something in your area is draining the crap out of it.

Fancy pants Note ||:-)
    05-22-13 06:04 PM
    Thanks guys. I intentionally haven't installed any apps on it, and haven't logged into the (pre-installed) apps for twitter/facebook/etc.

Can anyone give me advice on how to check what may be draining it? Thanks
    05-23-13 02:08 AM
    ask someone if they see a green aura around you when they are standing about 10 feet away from you! Six feet away won't work, must be at least 10

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    Cranky likes this.
    05-23-13 02:12 AM
    Has to be 10.1
    Yeah, I know. What I mean is if you go to settings select info and then operating system and check which version exactly you are running, it might help narrowing down the problem. It should be something like 10.1.0.1720.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 05:49 AM
    Must be something up with your phone or a misbehaving app that's causing your issue. Just the other day I was on an 8 hour road trip with my wife where I streamed music via bluetooth in our car for the entire trip, as well as spent a lot of time on CB10 and sent a ton of texts and BBMs when I wasn't driving, and by the end of the trip I still had almost 50% battery life (and we were going through a number of areas where cell reception is patchy at best).

Your battery should, theoretically, last longer than it currently does.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    KeiraAmelle likes this.
    05-23-13 06:18 AM
    Yeah, I know. What I mean is if you go to settings select info and then operating system and check which version exactly you are running, it might help narrowing down the problem. It should be something like 10.1.0.1720.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. 10.1.0.273 is what I have
    05-23-13 06:37 AM
    How long have you had the phone? My battery life was crappy for the first 3-4 days, and it's been gradually improving (since May 3). If you use Maps, it's very battery-intensive. So are some games.
    05-23-13 07:10 AM
    Perhaps you should try logging into all your social accounts in case that is causing the problem. In other words, maybe a process is trying to connect to facebook and can't. In the setup there is an option to try to draw more info about your contacts by checking social accounts connections and if you chose this option but didn't log into the accounts, I don't know what would happen.

Big battery drains can also be related to misbehaving email accounts. What email service are you using and what sync time did your choose? Forever is a bad idea if you have thousands of emails still on the server.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 07:33 AM
    same here, i am only using my phone for an hour also and battery is way down already
    going to fido store to get replacement battery
    what about charger ?? i am using different one all the time
    original one at home, not original at work
    05-23-13 08:44 AM
    Thanks. 10.1.0.273 is what I have
    I have the same software version on mine. OS Version is 10.1.0.1720 though. Just to see how much battery it uses when it does nothing at all, I charged it to 100% and didn't touch it (4g, location services on, several mailboxes syncing, connected to the same wifi). The battery went down by 10% in approx 6 hours.
    yvpan1 likes this.
    05-24-13 01:09 AM
    I for one can't complain about battery life. The Q10 is running circles around my Bold 9900 in this matter. Every since I got my Q10, I left the house for a twelve hour shift two times with the battery well below 60% charge. In both cases I still had somewhere between 15% and 20% left when I got home. The 9900 would've simply died during the shift.

In general the battery life simply keeps amazing me. It is great to know I don't always have to remember charging this thing or worrying about not leaving the house with the phone charged to a decent amount of %.

I don't know what could be wrong with your phones though. I'm running the .238 firmware, 2G+3G enabled, two of my self-hosted IMAP accounts syncing, one Outlook.com account syncing, MP3 runs roughly two hours daily. Phone calls of a total of roughly 30-45 minutes, quite some BBM as well as web browsing. This also is with often difficult receptions.

Posted via CB10
    davetr18 likes this.
    05-24-13 03:21 AM
    Just a guess but maybe all theses battery saving tips from the older phones may cause more battery use if a process in the OS keeps looking for something that is not there. For example, setting the radio to 2G/3G and the OS still trying to force it into 4G and getting no response. A lot of these magic combinations that worked on the 9900 may not be tested for in the OS and cause more problems than they fix.

Another thing to consider is now that we use more data on our phones, the quicker 4G or LTE connections may actually use less power because it takes less time to transfer the data. I am on Rogers and their 2600 band is very fast. There was a user in Montreal that had a 69 Mbps speedtest.net result. At that speed or the typical 20-40Mbps of LTE, data would take about a tenth of the time it does on 3G.
    jrohland likes this.
    05-24-13 08:17 AM
    Similar setup to the OP's, same OS level. I'm getting almost 24 hours battery life, amazing. All I did was to do the initial battery training after receiving the Q10, 4 or 5 complete discharge/full charge cycles, giving it one or two more hours continued charging after having reached 100%.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 09:39 AM
    something is majorly wrong there! i am a heavy user and I can make at least 10 hours per charge. when i say heavy user im talking 40 to 50 calls a day and constantly texting, and returning e mails. I would be returning this device asap for a new one
    05-24-13 09:45 AM
    Download Battery Guru, yes its not free but the few dollars spent will let you know what's happening, or at least let you infer what's happening.

Here's an example:

battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000667.png

This is my phone usage yesterday, the phone came off the charger at 10am, the white line shows battery percentage, and it goes down, the rectangle boxes represent 1 hour blocks going left to right, and 10% blocks going up and down.

You will see that as of 6pm, it was still above 50%.

The white line is battery percentage, and the black line is power, normally when my phone is in standby, the black line is almost a flat line sitting around the middle of the chart going left to right, however when I'm doing stuff on the phone, it spikes downwards.

You will see between 10am and 12pm, there was lots of activity, that was me using fb, Cb10, Whatsapp, replying to emails, watching youtube vids, and streaming music on my 30 min drive to work, then again lots of stuff around 2, this was my break, made a number of phone calls and browsed web, responded to emails for around 30 min, then more stuff around 4-5pm.

battery experiences: my first week with a Q10-img_00000668.png

Continuing on with my day, you will see that from 7pm to about 10pm, there was continued use on the phone, but 10-12:30 it pretty much flatlines again as i went to go see fast and furious 6 lol, then came home, and used the phone from 12:30 to download the torrent file (350mb) on wifi of the most recent game of thrones episode, plugged phone into hdmi, used play on option to watch full screen on my tv. That means i got from 10am to 2am next day of solid use. That's 16 hours. And i did a lot more than i described i only described where i heavily used the phone, all the spikes represent something happening on the phone.

So if you download the app, and your black line is flat line all the time but the white line is making a sharp drop, then something is wrong, if your phone is in standby and your black line is consistently making sharp spikes or is consistently below the middle mark even when your not using the phone, then something is wrong.

Also i should add, i leave every option on all the time, I always leave lte, 4G, 2g, bluetooth, wifi, nfc, etc, anything that can be turned on is set to on, emails are set to sync every 5 min (have 6 email accounts), twitter linkedin and fb and Whatsapp are all logged in. Only thing I've turned down is screen brightness to about 25%.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 09:56 AM
    I keep hearing about battery issues and people complaining, but nobody will post any proof, the proof is in the numbers/charts, im not saying they are lying, but if people are coming to these forums, and they want help, post the info that can get you help. I have never seen one post of a chart from battery guru from someone claiming poor battery life. But people with good battery are posting them all the time. I just find it "interesting" that this is the case.

Posted via CB10
    elgolfman and tmcleod94 like this.
    05-24-13 10:09 AM
    Apart from the above comments, I would also suggest you tried one or two days without the blue tooth headset paired. If you notice a big difference maybe you should get rid of your bluetooth and get a new one. I know it is a "by elimination" practice but I think it is quite important to get the headset sorted out (if it is or not affecting your battery life) before you go into more detailed checks.

Just a suggestion

PS: Battery Guru is a must have imo, great app. Great post by irwindersra
    05-24-13 10:21 AM
    6 hours is just absolutely awful. Try to not run it down to 10%. 20% is good. But during the first week, the battery will calibrate and should get better...but wow...
    05-24-13 10:24 AM
    I keep hearing about battery issues and people complaining, but nobody will post any proof, the proof is in the numbers/charts, im not saying they are lying, but if people are coming to these forums, and they want help, post the info that can get you help. I have never seen one post of a chart from battery guru from someone claiming poor battery life. But people with good battery are posting them all the time. I just find it "interesting" that this is the case.

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps the kind of people who install Battery Guru are also the kind who don't do things that cause short battery life.

I haven't installed it on mine because, after the first two days in which things were syncing and, doubtless, the battery was getting conditioned, I'm seeing a usage of about 30% in a full day of use, 7a.m. to 10p.m. Which is impressive. (I always charge overnight).
    I find that the battery use is actually slightly lower with wifi off (on a client's site), but there is a strong 3g signal at home. I don't use, or need, 4G.
    05-24-13 10:28 AM
    Download Battery Guru, yes its not free but the few dollars spent will let you know what's happening, or at least let you infer what's happening.

Here's an example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000667.png 
Views:	1683 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	164776

This is my phone usage yesterday, the phone came off the charger at 10am, the white line shows battery percentage, and it goes down, the rectangle boxes represent 1 hour blocks going left to right, and 10% blocks going up and down.

You will see that as of 6pm, it was still above 50%.

The white line is battery percentage, and the black line is power, normally when my phone is in standby, the black line is almost a flat line sitting around the middle of the chart going left to right, however when I'm doing stuff on the phone, it spikes downwards.

You will see between 10am and 12pm, there was lots of activity, that was me using fb, Cb10, Whatsapp, replying to emails, watching youtube vids, and streaming music on my 30 min drive to work, then again lots of stuff around 2, this was my break, made a number of phone calls and browsed web, responded to emails for around 30 min, then more stuff around 4-5pm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000668.png 
Views:	1172 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	164778

Continuing on with my day, you will see that from 7pm to about 10pm, there was continued use on the phone, but 10-12:30 it pretty much flatlines again as i went to go see fast and furious 6 lol, then came home, and used the phone from 12:30 to download the torrent file (350mb) on wifi of the most recent game of thrones episode, plugged phone into hdmi, used play on option to watch full screen on my tv. That means i got from 10am to 2am next day of solid use. That's 16 hours. And i did a lot more than i described i only described where i heavily used the phone, all the spikes represent something happening on the phone.

So if you download the app, and your black line is flat line all the time but the white line is making a sharp drop, then something is wrong, if your phone is in standby and your black line is consistently making sharp spikes or is consistently below the middle mark even when your not using the phone, then something is wrong.

Also i should add, i leave every option on all the time, I always leave lte, 4G, 2g, bluetooth, wifi, nfc, etc, anything that can be turned on is set to on, emails are set to sync every 5 min (have 6 email accounts), twitter linkedin and fb and Whatsapp are all logged in. Only thing I've turned down is screen brightness to about 25%.

Posted via CB10
    great post very imformative and detailed, thanks very much! question - do you have 'keep awake' set to on or off? default on install is 'off'. does the app need to be running as a active frame all the time to collect data?
    05-24-13 10:50 AM
182 123 ...