Is there any app that will show battery percentage and date on main screen of bb q10? Id like to keep track of my battery life without opening an app. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 06:52 AM
    Wallpaper Changer
    07-05-13 07:01 AM
    There are other battery apps that will do that too.
    They have to be opened in an active frame like Wallpaper Changer .
    There's Vital Signs. It has a lot of different measures of your phone: battery/memory and there are different battery sets you can use. Kinda like the old BatteryEx.
    BlackBerry World - VitalSigns
    07-05-13 07:16 AM
    Is there any app that will show battery percentage and date on main screen of bb q10? Id like to keep track of my battery life without opening an app. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    The answer is "No". You need to keep an app open as active frame. I use Battery Guru coz it shows extra info like battery health and cycles. Paid app.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 08:03 AM
    When the headless apis come in august i will be adding them to wallpaper changer hd. So you'll be able to have battery percent,weather and date on your home screen with no active frame. For now though the frame needs to be open for it to update all the info on the home screen.
    07-05-13 08:27 AM
    I just bought the wallpaper changer app. I thought i wouldnt need to open it to function but you need it opened all the time. Im afraid of the battery drain it will cause. The superbar should be on top. The battery percentage should overlap the battery icon. The date should be below the time. Alot of things id like to change about it. I just wish bb would make this built in their os.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 08:35 AM
    I just bought the wallpaper changer app. I thought i wouldnt need to open it to function but you need it opened all the time. Im afraid of the battery drain it will cause. The superbar should be on top. The battery percentage should overlap the battery icon. The date should be below the time. Alot of things id like to change about it. I just wish bb would make this built in their os.

Posted via CB10
    I would give it a try with the app running all the time. I don't think it will cause a drain you will notice. The app was running all the time on the other phones too...but the OS wasn't set up to show it like OS10 is. I like what they did with OS10 so you can see exactly what's on. With OS7xxx things ran hidden but they still ran....
    07-05-13 09:46 AM
    App like this usually use up merely 3% if u run it all the time. I always have battery guru running, no difference in battery life when not running.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    07-05-13 10:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    The super bar IS on top. The BlackBerry os does not allow it to go any further up that it is.

Posted with JayDee's white Z10
    07-05-13 12:53 PM
    I also downloaded battery guru since you mentioned it and found that running wallpaper changer adds .5 watts to battery consumption. When im only running battery guru the battery consumption is .46 but when i run wallpaperchanger and battery guru the power consumption is 1.1W. When running cb10 and battery guru power consumption is .7w. Wallpaper changer consumes alot of battery life.
    07-05-13 10:40 PM
    I use BX Battery Info. Just tap it open for a quick peek and tap it closed. If you leave it running it doesn't drain a ton. Clearly, any developer making an app that shows battery percentage should be aiming to use a little power as possible to use the app or they are being counter productive. Draining your battery while checking your battery percentage would be a huge oversight on a developers part. Sure apps take power to run, but this type of app shouldn't.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10. Best damn phone on the planet. This message will self destruct in 10 seconds...
    07-05-13 11:07 PM
    I also downloaded battery guru since you mentioned it and found that running wallpaper changer adds .5 watts to battery consumption. When im only running battery guru the battery consumption is .46 but when i run wallpaperchanger and battery guru the power consumption is 1.1W. When running cb10 and battery guru power consumption is .7w. Wallpaper changer consumes alot of battery life.
    I'd be surprised if Shaosoft's Wallpaper Changer HD (assuming that's the one you're talking about) consumes anywhere near that much more power. I'd expect it to be a negligible difference.

Even having 0.46W consumption on an ongoing basis is probably wrong, assuming you're talking about when the device is in standby. Most of us (those without specific power issues) get values closer to 0.1W in standby.

How are you measuring this? Are you accounting for the fact that the OS provides apps like Battery Guru with updates for the readings only once every two minutes? To get a stable measurement, you need to set things up and then let the device sleep for at least four minutes, then swipe the screen on and immediately check the reading. That eliminates the chance of seeing a "partial" reading where it includes some of the time that the screen was on, giving an average consumption that's much higher than it would be in standby.

For best results, you need to leave things for ten or more minutes, then check the export data to see whether it was stable across multiple two-minute readings.

Shao128, is it safe to say you've done such measurements yourself, and can put to rest any claim that your app uses that much power on a normally working device?
    07-06-13 07:42 AM
    Its 45-75 w with cb10 and battery guru running.
    After i sleep mode i get .03w. With just the battery guru its around 48w. With youtube i get 1.75-2.1w. I dont know how you get .1w. I might have a defective battery.
    07-06-13 09:05 AM
    Its 45-75 w with cb10 and battery guru running.
    After i sleep mode i get .03w. With just the battery guru its around 48w. With youtube i get 1.75-2.1w. I dont know how you get .1w. I might have a defective battery.
    I was referring only to the power consumption in standby. With the screen on, most of the power consumption comes from the screen, but also interacting with the device will cause it to consume more. It's very difficult to make meaningful statements about how much power an app uses merely by having the screen on and watching the power. To be accurate, you need to have controlled conditions for a long time, or if you can't control the conditions well you'd need to take days worth of comparative data.

If you were making these measurements with the screen on, then it's definitely not fair to say that Wallpaper Changer HD "takes 0.5W".

By the way, are you using a Q10? The screen on the Z10 takes so much more power I wouldn't expect you to see 0.5W ever, with the screen on.
    07-06-13 09:51 AM