Are there settings for the backlight for the keyboard to turn on ? Mine sometimes turns on and / or doesnt ...there is a delay? Is there some setting for this ? Many thanks,
    05-06-13 02:03 PM
    I believe the Q10's backlit keyboard is controlled by a sensor. If you're not in a dark area, it won't turn on to save battery life.
    05-06-13 02:29 PM
    I believe the Q10's backlit keyboard is controlled by a sensor. If you're not in a dark area, it won't turn on to save battery life.
    Yup, pretty much. It won't just come on for the sake of it. No point in broad daylight.

Shine a light on the sensor mid sentence and the keyboard gently fades to off (as I just tested while replying haha)

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 03:00 PM
    Interesting. It would depend on whether "daylight" is direct or indirect as to whether the kb would be sufficiently readable for me. A disappointment if not configurable. Much like being able to compensate for something being backlit, and therefore difficult to view.
    05-06-13 03:06 PM
    Interesting. It would depend on whether "daylight" is direct or indirect as to whether the kb would be sufficiently readable for me. A disappointment if not configurable. Much like being able to compensate for something being backlit, and therefore difficult to view.
    To be honest so far the Q has got the balance right every time. So the lack of configuration should not cause too much of an issue.

Not sure what you mean when you refer to the light source, but the sensor at the top of the screen is measuring the amount of light falling on the device. If it's below a certain point, on pops the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 03:12 PM
    True, but if the backlighting is stronger (facing cloudless/sunlit skies), the front sensors- if that's where they are- might read overall brightness enough not to turn the backlighting on, but the eyes (as cameras) would read the direct brightness and I would have to adjust my body to be able to read the keys. Might seem finicky, but I'd like the option to keep BL on.
    05-06-13 03:21 PM
    True, but if the backlighting is stronger (facing cloudless/sunlit skies), the front sensors- if that's where they are- might read overall brightness enough not to turn the backlighting on, but the eyes (as cameras) would read the direct brightness and I would have to adjust my body to be able to read the keys. Might seem finicky, but I'd like the option to keep BL on.
    Na that's fair enough, we are all different creatures. For me they have the balance right. But with no auto screen brightness either, maybe it's something that's in the pipeline once they know what people are needing from the device?

Fron moving around the house into brighter and darker areas, I would honestly say the sensor sides with caution and has the keyboard on more than off.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 03:31 PM
    OK I just tested it, and even in a well lit room, the backlight remains on until quite intense light is shone on the handset. As soon as it is removed the back lighting pops straight back on.

Example if it makes any difference. Pic below is the room I'm in typing this, and the backlighting is on.

Is the back light for the Q10 keyboard supposed to turn on immediately ? Mine doesnt ?-img_00000234.jpg

Posted via CB10
    mkmilan likes this.
    05-06-13 03:43 PM
    Thanks, a rare non-judgemental discussion. ultimately I will have to play with a unit myself: may just be a non-issue. And thanks for testing it: pic good example of addressing my concerns.
    05-06-13 03:47 PM
    Thanks, a rare non-judgemental discussion. ultimately I will have to play with a unit myself: may just be a non-issue
    I know what you mean. My pleasure. Shame that some threads get judgemental and childish, usually from people who don't even use the devices. Tssk.

If I can help with anything else just shout

Hope it suits your needs, as the Q is really a lovely phone to use.

Posted via CB10
    mkmilan likes this.
    05-06-13 03:51 PM
    Ok, since you offered. On my 9900, single calendar entries disappear after one or two months, so to search past items, I have to go to online google calendar- even Playbook has no calendar search I can find. Also, I hear Q10 contacts list has a fixed area for picture, which leaves fewer items that show on screen: true? Also, since QuickLaunch- my most used app to access contacts, urls, etc quickly with my trackpad, is not moving to BB10, so as workaround, I was thinking of making a folder on home with contacts, which BB7, can do, but, playing with Z10, I noticed it can't be done. Makes me hesitate going for the Q10, which seems droolworthy. Thanks in advance.
    05-06-13 04:01 PM
    Ok, since you offered. On my 9900, single calendar entries disappear after one or two months, so to search past items, I have to go to online google calendar- even Playbook has no calendar search I can find. Also, I hear Q10 contacts list has a fixed area for picture, which leaves fewer items that show on screen: true? Also, since QuickLaunch- my most used app to access contacts, urls, etc quickly with my trackpad, is not moving to BB10, so as workaround, I was thinking of making a folder on home with contacts, which BB7, can do, but, playing with Z10, I noticed it can't be done. Makes me hesitate going for the Q10, which seems droolworthy. Thanks in advance.
    Lol ok ok, one at a time haha.

Right...

I don't believe anything much has changed on the calender side of things, it seems that the events still expire then disappear from the calender. Multiples or reoccurring still remain as you say.

Q10 contacts screen, the top 1/3 is the name, image and company section, which does indeed remain in place, leaving just the bottom 2/3 for viewing contact info. Quite a squeeze, and at no point does the header retract. Maybe a fix for the future eh.

With regards to the contacts, Type and Go would probably be just as quick if not quicker for that.
    As for quicklaunch, I never really used it myself. But once you get used to the gestures, flicking out of an app, and opening a different active pane, or selecting a new app is pretty quick. Again from the home page you can use Type and Go to find the app and get it running. Much as you can with universal search.

I would say for 80% of the issues out there, for things missing that people are unhappy about, there is a work around. For the rest there are changes that BlackBerry need to address. But all that will come in time I'm sure.

I would honestly say that nothing you have said should put you off. I'm sure early days you will scream ' what have I done' But then you will get used to it, and be fine

Posted via CB10
    mkmilan likes this.
    05-06-13 04:12 PM
    Sorry for overwhelming you, lol. I want the Q10, and I have been reading everything on here to help me make a decision. If you never used QuickLaunch on 9900, it's a killer app: that and the trackpad allows me to barely move my thumb to access urls, contacts, sms, and apps. The developer says he probably won't migrate, so the adjustment will be major for me. Not a phone gamer, or mediafan- use my PB for that. Again, thanks for your time. I'll probably bite the proverbial bullet when I hold the Q10. Over and out.
    05-06-13 04:27 PM
    Yeah I know what you mean about QL, I know people who used it and swore by it, just wasn't for me. Nothing was urgent enough haha.

Like I say Type and Go does a good job of accessing contacts, starting to compose a tweet, email etc, as well as finding apps or media files.

Re games, as you might have guessed, me neither, really not my thing. Even on the Z I will download a game, play it once then stick it in the games folder to gather e-dust.

Good luck with your quest to new handset happiness.

Posted via CB10
    momofteme likes this.
    05-06-13 04:52 PM
    Just want to thank you personally Snazy, you have been very helpful and open in these forums, and it is so great compared to some of the juvenile stuff we have been subjected too around here lately.

I don't know if I am ever going to get my Q i am on a small midwestern US carrier that may or may not have just been bought by ATT, that is a year or two transition at best, I cant switch to Verizon or any of the others, and keep my number because they don't "cover " my area yet.

Enough to make a rabid fan SCREAM!
    05-06-13 08:48 PM
    Just want to thank you personally Snazy, you have been very helpful and open in these forums, and it is so great compared to some of the juvenile stuff we have been subjected too around here lately.

I don't know if I am ever going to get my Q i am on a small midwestern US carrier that may or may not have just been bought by ATT, that is a year or two transition at best, I cant switch to Verizon or any of the others, and keep my number because they don't "cover " my area yet.

Enough to make a rabid fan SCREAM!
    No problem, it's my pleasure to try and help sensible people with any questions As for the juvenile cases out there, they can keep doing their thing.
    Like I said before, any other questions, you know where I am.
    I don't subscribe to threads though, so PM or PIN me if you need me

Hope that your worries are wrong and that your carrier does decide to support the device.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 04:33 AM
    Snazzy, your answers have helped me immensely - thank you.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    Snazy likes this.
    05-07-13 06:41 AM
    Snazzy, your answers have helped me immensely - thank you.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    Happy to be of help
    As per previous, if I can keep helping, I shall

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    05-07-13 07:17 AM
    Hai,

I have same problem here. Is that my phone broken or there have any setting?
    08-25-13 10:36 PM
    Hi,
    I have No back light keyboard on my Q10 (on BB10.2).
    What can i do to turn on the light ?
    Thk for your help,
    Stan
    10-31-13 05:54 AM
    Hi, the keyboard light on my q10 doesn't come on regardless of how bright or dark the room or environment is. Is the sensor broken? Cheers
    11-20-13 12:00 PM