I am coming back to BlackBerry after a few years being away (note 2, lumia 925 and iphone 5s). I wanted to wait for the classic but with the leaked specs and the perfect form factor of the Q, I decided on the white unlocked Q10. I was pleasantly surprised when I when on BlackBerry's website to buy the phone that it was only $199. *The phone arrived in 4 days and the deliver guy wasn't gentle with the phone as I heard him just drop the box outside my door. Upon unboxing, I was taken back how beautiful and well built the device is. I shouldn't have went away from BlackBerry -- I always end up coming back anyhow. The nice thing about ordering unlocked from shop BlackBerry is that I got the premium headphones although I am disappointed there was no leather pocket pouch included. *

Most of my first day was spent handling the phone with kid gloves. Until, I passed out with the phone charging next to me in the recliner (effect of the pain meds 8 days removed from my collarbone repair). I woke up holding the phone and realized this isn't something I should baby, it's a tool. I hope that the Q is built as rugged as previous blackberries (8703E *favorite all time*, first gen curve, bold 9000 and bold 9900) and can put up with daily abuse. *I am not esp hard on my phones but when they are your everyday companion the get put through the ringer.*

I also decided right then that I am going to track my thoughts on the phone during my time with it. Hoping the phone holds up so this can be a long term review of 2-3 yrs. I think it will be interesting since I am adopting so far a long in its lifecycle (over a year old device already). The plan is to use this phone as long as it holds up. *So for this test I will be using the white Q10 unlocked on AT&T, I am using the phone with no case or screen protector and I will only run official OS releases. I will be using my iphone 5s as my music player and I have an ipad mini I will use at home for browsing the Web and watching videos/movies. The Q10 will be my only communication device for hopefully the next 2-3 yrs.*

Initial pros/cons*

Pros:*
    Phone is perfect size, the keyboard, BB10 is fast and smooth and the overall enjoyment and ease of communicating is through the roof.*

Cons:*
    Speaker phone was weak and distorted at higher 2 settings and selecting or editing text is a horrendous experience (worse than other touch screen alternatives and far worse than old BlackBerry's).*

Hope you guys will enjoy the updates and if you have any suggestions for apps or anything please let me know.*

So far it's good to be back.*
    JGoodard and tx ram like this.
    11-08-14 02:08 AM
    What a POWER post!

I also bought a brandnew Q10. I bought it also in 2013 when it came out. I switched then to the Z30.

Now back to the Q10. It feels do great! Best phone yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 06:11 AM
    Snap got a Q10 yesterday, resting my nexus 4 which is a great phone. However I decided to give blackberry another try. The Q10 is a good looking phone, nearly as good as my 9700. I'm getting use to BB10 and finding it very slick. Only time will tell if I have make the right choice. Phones these days are getting too big in my opinion so the Q10 fits the bill in the size stakes and if the battery lasts more than a day or two I will be very happy!
    Everyone in my house hold are iPhone user and they were trying to pressure me into turning to the dark side.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 06:37 AM
    Wait till you get 10.3.x. Major improvements on already fantastic device and OS.

Q10 (SQN100-3)
    11-08-14 08:29 AM
    Congrats and welcome! I too had a note (3) prior to coming back to BlackBerry. Hope you enjoy the device

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 08:58 AM
    I bought a SQN100-5 Q10 from ShopBlackBerry. I mean, why do you have to choose one or the other....touch or type...virtual keyboard or physical keyboard? I think we get caught up in the thought that we need to have some kind of Swiss Army Knife, do-it-all type of device and forget that every form factor has its compromises. (I'm looking at you Passport!) We are therefore dissatisfied with whatever we purchase IMHO. I will use my Q10 during the work week and especially when I'm traveling when battery life is the important factor and it's important to bang out and reply to email quickly. I'll rock my Z10 on the weekend when multimedia consumption, web browsing and forum browsing is what I need to do on my device.

I bought my Q10 for $199, unlocked and brand new from Shop BB. Same thing for my new, unlocked Z10 STL100-3. Now I have the best of both worlds and I'm completely happy with both devices and on their own merits.

You're going to love your Q10! It's a quality, well-assembled device. It might not be a Swiss Army Knife, but it's assembled like a fine Swiss watch! That's got to be worth something.
    11-08-14 08:58 AM
    How are you selecting text?
    11-08-14 09:00 AM
    There is a lot of tips to selecting or editing text with the Q10 :
    • You can touch a word and each second you let your finger on screen the selection will be wider. From word to sentence, sentences, paragraph, paragraphs, ...
    • To move the cursor on screen, touch the screen one time near your target and then drag from or tap on the border of the circle to move the cursor (up, right, down, left).
    • To operate a precise selection, place the cursor on screen at your starting anchor, keep the shift key pressed on your keyboard and swipe one finger on your screen to your ending anchor.
    • To delete letters on the right of your cursor, use the shift key and the delete key.
    • Each second you keep the delete key pressed, wider and quicker will be the deletion.
    • There is more... don't hesitate to use the "help" app to learn shortcuts and, searching or asking the forum for answers

Welcome
    11-08-14 09:05 AM
    I have been holding on the word for a given period of time and waiting for the selection to expand. I have also tried the the shift and drag. I am getting more comfortable with it now, guess it will just take time.

I am planning on writing up my day two experience today. I can say that it has been a positive transition to this point and actually enjoy using the device.

How durable do you find the Q10 be -- it feels really solidly built. Can it stand up to day in and day out use (occasional drops, accidently sitting stuff or person on the device, ect).

Thanks for all the responses and tips CB is a great forum.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 12:03 PM
    Guys love I mean literally love the q10. After getting 2 new ones and then giving it away in a months time just cause of the double typing issues.
    Still went ahead and got one more brand new q10.
    Between all these 3 q10s I lost more than 200$ still nothing kept me back I got one more new one. So moral of the story the q10 gets to u

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 12:28 PM
    I love my q10, but not so sure I would keep buying it if it had the double typing issue
    11-08-14 12:35 PM
    Welcome back to BlackBerry. I started using the Q10 in September 2013 both in a protective case and currently without it. So far after several drops and bumps it still runs and works like new. It definitely is durable and the keyboard has no issues.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 12:53 PM
    Thanks for the responses!! I am learning a lot about the phone just in the last 24 hrs (what I like and things I will need to get use too).

I have seen a lot of double typing issues listed in the forums. Does blackberry replace the defective units if you have an issue? I would hope they would at least hold up to that level of customer service. My experience with apple regarding any issues has been incredible.

I hate phone cases so I will be using the Q naked -- appreciate the responses on durability.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 01:34 PM
    I love my Q10 as well. It does so much for its size! I love and and it feels and looks classy! I really don't miss my note2.

Posted from my Fabulous Q10
    11-08-14 03:13 PM
    I find selecting text is better than the android phones I've used.

I first used a Curve a few years back but hated coming from a high end android phone to minimal apps and no touch screen, though the track ball was very well thought out.

Gotta say I love my Q10 and will not be going back to android any time soon. I find the build quality of higher end BlackBerry phones are unrivalled imo and coupled with a touch screen, qwerty keyboard and the ability to run android apps is the ultimate phone for me. Love it.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 03:47 PM
    Edit:

I think os10 is very nice but 10.3. Is super slick.

I've got a double type issue but I have autocorrect on so might not notice it as much or it may have stopped when I installed a new battery.

Also got a nice BlackBerry leather pouch and an external battery charger.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 03:52 PM
    I use my Q10 for music, and watch videos on it too. Even made a video using the StoryMaker app. Browsing on it is fast and the Reader mode is fantastic. Love all of the shortcuts. I had the Z10 for over a year and just missed the keyboard.

Finally put a case on my Q10 ($5 off Amazon for a hard shell). I am rough with my Q10 and sent it flying across the room once and it was still fine. Don't want to jinx it so slapped a case on it. Have been dropped many times.

Enjoy ur phone. I got the PKB because I have been doing a lot of documentations and it is just so nice to have the clikkety feedback.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    11-08-14 08:31 PM
    Same here. 3rd Q10 and none have had a double typing issue. I usually get a little frustrated with the Q10 because my iPhone 5s and Galaxy s5 are so much faster and offer a little more as far as apps, but always come back to BlackBerry. The size and PKB are enough to make me over look all the other stuff imo.

I'm currently counting the minutes until the Classic gets released.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 08:37 PM
    So at then end of the second full day of use I am really liking my decision to come back. There are a couple apps that I got out of the app world that are essential to me on my phone. They are as follows --connect to OneDrive NY times (needed a new app just for quick over view of current events), CBS sports and CB10. Any apps that I would be missing are loaded on my ipad mini and only ;used when I have time to relax. I have found that I use the browser for any little thing lacking in apps that needs done (i.e reviewed a fantasy football trade on yahoo). The battery has been great and I am sure it will get better in a week or so when it settles in

I have a few things that I need to either figure out how to do, I would change or that I had an issue with. The first thing was bbm video and screen share. Both times I attempted to use screen share bbm video cut off after ending screen share. I thought that I was suppose to go right back into the video call. I need to get use to the hardware keyboard. I am occasionally holding the button down causing it to capitalize. This is completely me and not a keyboard issue. I am having a terrible time trying to sync contacts with Google or iphone/icloud. Don't want have to manually add everyone of my contacts. Finally, I would have selected a texture with more grip for the white bold. I kept laying it on the arm of my recliner and as I was getting up the phone would slide easily. Also, it is a tad slick in hand but I haven't dropped the phone as of ye. ;

I am still extremely happy and I don't feel like I am losing anything from other platforms. Even with recovering from shoulder surgery that I had a week ago I have been able the phone quick/easy. I will do updates daily for first week and then weekly. I am doing this for people not interested in the passport or classic but thinking about going with a keyboard BlackBerry. Plus I think it will be interesting to see if/how my opinions change over the year(s).

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:33 PM
    I forgot to mention -- when I went to get a sim card and activate the phone on ATT (switching from the 5s) the guy ask me if it was because of work.

I guess this is good and bad. People view them in the work niche but at the same time don't believe someone would pick on for personal use.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:41 PM
    I commend you for doing this and feel I should have done the same as an avid note 3 user. Was on the fence about the passport but decided to stay with this phone for everything you've stated..

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:45 PM
    I am coming back to BlackBerry after a few years being away (note 2, lumia 925 and iphone 5s). I wanted to wait for the classic but with the leaked specs and the perfect form factor of the Q, I decided on the white unlocked Q10. I was pleasantly surprised when I when on BlackBerry's website to buy the phone that it was only $199. *The phone arrived in 4 days and the deliver guy wasn't gentle with the phone as I heard him just drop the box outside my door. Upon unboxing, I was taken back how beautiful and well built the device is. I shouldn't have went away from BlackBerry -- I always end up coming back anyhow. The nice thing about ordering unlocked from shop BlackBerry is that I got the premium headphones although I am disappointed there was no leather pocket pouch included. *

Most of my first day was spent handling the phone with kid gloves. Until, I passed out with the phone charging next to me in the recliner (effect of the pain meds 8 days removed from my collarbone repair). I woke up holding the phone and realized this isn't something I should baby, it's a tool. I hope that the Q is built as rugged as previous blackberries (8703E *favorite all time*, first gen curve, bold 9000 and bold 9900) and can put up with daily abuse. *I am not esp hard on my phones but when they are your everyday companion the get put through the ringer.*

I also decided right then that I am going to track my thoughts on the phone during my time with it. Hoping the phone holds up so this can be a long term review of 2-3 yrs. I think it will be interesting since I am adopting so far a long in its lifecycle (over a year old device already). The plan is to use this phone as long as it holds up. *So for this test I will be using the white Q10 unlocked on AT&T, I am using the phone with no case or screen protector and I will only run official OS releases. I will be using my iphone 5s as my music player and I have an ipad mini I will use at home for browsing the Web and watching videos/movies. The Q10 will be my only communication device for hopefully the next 2-3 yrs.*

Initial pros/cons*

Pros:*
    Phone is perfect size, the keyboard, BB10 is fast and smooth and the overall enjoyment and ease of communicating is through the roof.*

Cons:*
    Speaker phone was weak and distorted at higher 2 settings and selecting or editing text is a horrendous experience (worse than other touch screen alternatives and far worse than old BlackBerry's).*

Hope you guys will enjoy the updates and if you have any suggestions for apps or anything please let me know.*

So far it's good to be back.*
    Actually text selection is vastly improved. Check your OS version and make sure you're running the latest version. Hold the ALT button and put your finger on the part of the text you want selected and drag your finger to whichever area you want selected.

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-08-14 09:59 PM
    For anyone who likes to either holster their Q10 or would like a hard protective case, or would like a kickstand/finger holder, or any combination. I don't have enough posts to include a link, but if you put this in a search,"Q10 kickstand holster verizon", you should find hits with the description and images of the combo holster case with built in kickstand.

I bought mine directly from Verizon, but this is available for less online. I use all of the features of this combo product and absolutely love it. FWIW
    11-08-14 10:24 PM
    This one will be a pretty short post as I wasn't on the phone a whole lot today. I had my son's soccer banquet and I try my best not to have my phone out during those type of events.

I will say that I love how you can reply to facebook messages straight from the hub. There is no need to download an extra privacy invading app like other platforms. This is by far my favorite phone to carry with me, it disappears in a pocket (either shorts, jeans,abu's or sweatpants). Battery life has held up great, however, it seems to take a long time to charge (with the included charger from bb).

Phone got it first bump today -- hit a door frame while in my basketball shorts pocket. I had to move quickly out of the way of my son and the phone swung in the pocket and hit the wall. Not hard but thought I would mention.

This phone makes me wish that I could go back to a BlackBerry 8703e (or 8700 on gsm carriers I believe). If I could still run that phone reliably (without 5 forced restarts a day) I would. I am officially in love with BlackBerry again.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 08:33 PM
    That was a short post?

Ha, just kidding. Yeah that Q10 is a workhorse.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 08:41 PM
42 12