Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone has checked out the Q10 (or Z10) from scratch on a plan without data? Does it work the same as those for data as long as in a Wifi area? I know BBM may not work, but has anyone found the other functionality differences?

I'm a long time data plan blackberry user, but I've a friend who is looking perhaps to use the Q10 or Z10 on a voice-only plan.

Any thoughts?

Lilian
    05-10-13 08:40 PM
    I'm using a DAC without a data plan and it works just fine. I don't have any experience with BBM so I can't comment on that.

Since I'm not a road warrior I don't need constant access to the Web or email when I'm out and about. I've also noticed that more and more places have wifi so it's very convenient.

I used to always carry my iPod touch for mobile access to the net. No longer.

Posted via CB10
    Lilian Wong likes this.
    05-10-13 09:33 PM
    I have only talk and text from Koodo (Telus). Works fine.
    05-11-13 12:08 AM
    BBM will work regardless of data plan, you just need wifi.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 12:40 AM
    My Q10 is only on wifi right now (I temporarily switch back to 9900). I can check email messages, BBM doesn't work as it can see that:

The BlackBerry ID xxxxxxxxx is already associated with BBM on another device. Do you want to switch your BBM information to your current device?

[Exit] [Switch BBM]
    05-11-13 01:41 AM
    My Q10 is only on wifi right now (I temporarily switch back to 9900). I can check email messages, BBM doesn't work as it can see that:

The BlackBerry ID xxxxxxxxx is already associated with BBM on another device. Do you want to switch your BBM information to your current device?

[Exit] [Switch BBM]
    The BBM doesn't work because you use the Blackberry ID on your 9900. But regardless of that, I think BBM can be used without any data plan, which means it's different from the network system of previous Blackberry Internet Services.

CMIIW
    05-11-13 02:00 AM
    The BBM doesn't work because you use the Blackberry ID on your 9900. But regardless of that, I think BBM can be used without any data plan, which means it's different from the network system of previous Blackberry Internet Services.

CMIIW
    Right.
    Neither of my Dev Alphas have Sims and both can bbm.
    05-11-13 02:11 AM

CMIIW
    Yes, you are right, I have used BBM on wifi before.
    05-11-13 02:52 AM
    I originally used the BlackBerry Q10 through my BlackBerry Z10's mobile hotspot. I was able to BBM from the Q10 this way. Also, I was able to browse of course, and also access BlackBerry World after entering my BlackBerry ID. This probably all worked as a result of my Z10 having a SIM card inserted.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 06:13 PM
    To clear things up. BBM will work if there is a phone number attached to your SIM card. Without a SIM card w/ a number, even with wifi it will not work.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 06:53 PM
    I turned off mobile data when the battery got low. Big difference was no bbm or emails. Works just fine to me but totally defeats the purpose of having one.
    05-12-13 09:02 PM