I was thinking about getting a Passport and was wondering if anyone is willing to put down their Q10 and take on the huge size difference.

What is your opinion on the size difference between Q10 and Passport?

Do you think it something a current Q10 user would transition to pretty easy?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 10:57 PM
    If you're thinking about it, go for it. I'd imagine the size difference would be something that would take a couple days to get used to but I'm sure the transition world be easy. I personally am not interested in the passport

Posted via CB10
    bbnrs likes this.
    10-05-14 11:07 PM
    My Passport should be here from ShopBB next week, really looking forward to it. Think the main thing I'm going to have to adjust to is the virtual keys for punctuation, instead of holding the alt key to add punctuation. And it'll probably take me a bit to get used to the size difference, especially being a woman with very small hands...just means I'll have to use it two-handed for typing emails and texts, instead of holding it in one hand. Very excited to get it next week!
    10-05-14 11:10 PM
    Waiting to hear official specs of the classic before I decide.

Rockin the Q
    10-05-14 11:23 PM
    I did it!

I had my Q10 from launch day last year. Loved it every day. Just traded up to the Passport.

Reason is I am in civil engineering and I review PDF drawings every day, Excel spreadsheets and I use Word often for cover letters etc.

My cell useage is usually 3500 to 4000 minutes per month, and I usually send and receive anywhere up to 50 emails a day with attachments.

While on jobsites I take a lot of progress photos so a good camera is a plus.

Over 70 % of my emails are performed on my BlackBerry.

This Passport is a huge step up for all those tasks, as well as using Web based company software via the browser.

Typing is better. I have huge mitts and the Alt and Shift key at the bottom left of the Q10 made me mash my thumbs together and it was especially painful to do alphanumeric passwords with the Q. I hated doing punctuation with that phone.

With the punctuation keys on the virtual key row above the third fret, it's way easier to type.

The keys are better. The display is unreal. Reading any documents or emailing or even punching in this post is way better on the eyes. You can see your formatting at a glance, rendered as it will appear to a user looking at it on a desktop monitor or laptop.

The hybrid keyboard is a real joy. I love the reaction I get from onlookers when I swipe back over the keys to delete words. I'm still learning all the awesome features.

The size is perfect. My wife's iPhone looks like a toy beside it. I can't believe anyone would want to work on that phone all day after they give this phone an honest try.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 11:55 PM
    I traded my Q10 for a passport and I won't go back to the Q10. The screen estate on the Passport is unbelievable. The passport keyboard and virtual keyboard does need some time to get used to. Once you've mastered that, you're never going back. This is just IMHO. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:23 AM
    I actually ordered the last Passport Amazon (Germany) had in stock yesterday. Now I got thinking a lot about canceling the order. I almost settled my mind on getting the Classic.

What is my main gripe with the Passport or better why I think it might not work out well for me:
    The keyboard. On my Q10, I've turned off all those automatic assistents and autocorrections. In virtually every case, they are more annoying for me than they are actually helpful. The Passport looks a lot like it is designed to rely on this stuff.
    I am also working on a job which requires to type a lot of odd shortcuts and letter combinations. Having two shift keys is helpful, I also kind of like the number pad arranged keys and of course the ability to type completely without even looking at the keyboard at all. How will that work out on the Passport?

Size is not an issue, yesterday I figured out I have a small card pouch which is almost the size of the Passport (tad wider, tad smaller) and I kind of played around with it. I actually find the size rather interesting for a smartphone. Only making phone calls is rather odd, so is the ability to use the device one-handed, which seems to be impossible for me.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    10-06-14 12:26 AM
    You can turn off all those auto correct gizmos.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:32 AM
    Will have look at the Passport first, but 90% sure the Q10 will be flicked out the door :-)

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3175
    sibeans likes this.
    10-06-14 03:50 AM
    Been using the Q10 for a year and now got a passport. I haven't decided yet whether I'll keep it or not. While I love the screen I am normally not a fan of huge fons. I am also still at war with the keyboard. I just cannot get the same speed and accuracy out of the passport. The missing alt and shift keys really hurt. I'll give it a few more days though.

Posted via CB10
    anischab likes this.
    10-06-14 04:26 AM
    Just made the change, for a long time I've laughed at the huge Android phablets, thought they were ridiculous (still do). And, to be totally honest the Passport is large enough that it is somewhat ridiculous. The problem is, that like the engineer above, reading a tonne of documents on a Q10 is also ridiculous...

So, it's a compromise, yes its very large as a phone, but despite all the bs you can 'one hand' it, no, it's not a rear pocket phone, it fits in my jeans fine (not a skinny jean guy). But what you give up for having a larger device really shows its worth when you begin doing something. The quality of the screen is better than the retina ipad i was given for moving carriers!!! Yes, the screen really is that good, the ipad looks weak beside it.

You really need to consider that a Passport is a hybrid device, it allows you to do almost everything you'd do on a laptop and from that perspective is a perfect compromise between a phone and a tablet. Except that, it's way more useful than any tablet because of the keyboard and the BBOS.

If you have a driver for using a larger device I truly believe this is easily the best device on the market. The things that demonstrate its use are reading tonnes of documents, being a web surfing addict, reviewing pdfs in particular, technical graphics that are very data dense or if you are constantly out of the office but need to respond to business. Awesome, just awesome.
    podes2204 and RegN like this.
    10-06-14 11:25 AM
    As soon as I can afford it off contract I'm soooo making the switch! But this phone will work very well for quite some years so I'm in no hurry
    mk2234 and stevenjamesclark like this.
    10-06-14 12:41 PM
    I was thinking about getting a Passport and was wondering if anyone is willing to put down their Q10 and take on the huge size difference.

What is your opinion on the size difference between Q10 and Passport?

Do you think it something a current Q10 user would transition to pretty easy?

Posted via CB10
    I would definitely do it if someone just give me the Passport. Won't spend money on it. It' not practical for me

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:48 PM
    I will be, they're not available here yet.
    10-06-14 04:55 PM
    After using a live demo passport model, I feel like the keyboard transition from the Q10 will be tough.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 05:29 PM
    Im sure passport will definitely an upgrade but for qwerty lover like me its not the alternative of my Q10

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 06:37 PM
    Hmmm. Good question. I think, that at the moment, I will be playing a wait and see game.

One, size will not be an issue as someone who is 6'3" with large hands. Two, I need to see how the new keyboard deals with multiple languages. Is it easy and intuitive to switch between languages and how does it function? Three, with a Z30 backup, and potentially onto my third Q10 due to quality issues, I am hesitant to rush into new BB technology. My experience, and I know it will be different for all on the site, is that there were too many quality control issues and unfortunately BB has NOT been proactive in fixing.

While I am a long time BB user, I feel somewhat slighted at the lack of commitment to repair and replace. For the most part, we have seemingly been left to our devices to replace bodies, keyboards, screens, etc. Also, as someone who does travel extensively, BB's shrinking footprint now means it is difficult and often impossible to have repairs done in cities around the world. I can't help but look at envy when my wife simply walks into an Apple Genius Bar and has her phone repaired, or replaced, from North America to Asia and all stops between.

Consequently, unlike the first iterations of BB10, I will take a wait and see game to learn from others all the glitches and foibles of the Passport.
    10-06-14 07:52 PM
    I just switched from a samsung note2 to Q10 and what a difference. I love how it fits in my hand. I did have a huge screen but I prefer the smaller. Holding a big phone in your hand my be hard to adjust but doable.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 09:00 PM
    I'll be getting a Passport as soon as I can. I very much enjoy my Q10, but I'd really like a larger screen and the hardware advancements offered by the Passport.
    mk2234 likes this.
    10-06-14 09:54 PM
    I will change it to Passport. I was BlackBerry 9790, 9900 n now Q10 user. I m a technology guy n I love innovative. I will try out the new way of typing using Passport as soon as I get my Passport. I like the large screenof the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    mk2234, rawat_sandip and BeautyEh like this.
    10-06-14 11:29 PM
    I would, but my country is making it a tough prospect at present.
    10-06-14 11:50 PM
    Just got a brand new Q10 replacement on insurance. It's perfect in every way so I'm not sure about switching just yet. The Q10 is a perfect device for me and a reasonable size to read PDFs on.
    10-07-14 12:46 AM
    Yep! Trying anyway! Out of stock right now!

Jaglenn's Q10
    10-07-14 12:56 AM
    I made the switch. At first I was nervous because of the 3 rows of keys, but I have already gotten used to it and it's such a spacious keyboard compared to the Q10.

It's like flying first class, where you can spread out comfortably, and the Q10 is now more like.. premium economy. It's still nice, but it's just not as spacious and nice feeling as the Passport.

Originally, I thought the Passport was ugly. But it grew on me, and in-person, it's just beautiful. BlackBerry put so much thought into this device, it is premium from end to end. I couldn't be any happier, and am actually loving my Passport much more than I thought I would. The keyboard technology still makes me say "wow" and every single person I've shown (most of whom have iPhones or Androids), their jaws drop when they see what BlackBerry has made possible. It really is incredible, and what's even more incredible is how much functionality it actually adds to an already awesome keyboard and typing experience.
    10-07-14 01:00 AM
    I'm more interested in a passport than in the Classic.
    I'd see for it next year, but some recent "leaks" showing an hybrid Q10/Z10, with a physical keyboard hidden in the phone are teasing me very much. Can't wait to see if these was real

Posted with my French Q10
    10-07-14 03:39 AM
155 123 ...