So I have finally given up on this double typing issue and decided to buy a replacement keyboard and install it myself. My keyboard is scratched and chipped a bit anyhow, so the replacement will be worth it (hopefully).

To those that have already done this: do you have any advice for me other than being very careful with the cables and connectors?

I'm buying mine from eBay Original NEW Blackberry Q10 Full Black Keyboard Flex Cable Replacement Parts | eBay. Any idea on how they feel in terms of quality after installation? I just hope I don't spend all the effort only to find out that it's worse than before haha.

I'm planning on buy it this week and it should get to me by the end of next week. I'll post updates when I'm done installing.
    12-10-13 05:15 PM
    Watch the youtube video on how to replace it. Its very good. One thing that I did have a problem with was removing the 2 philips head screws that hold the keyboard in. They are really small and very tite. Everything else was a breeze.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 05:55 PM
    I have done it a few times
    [email protected] if you need anything

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 06:04 PM
    The trickiest part for me was removing the lower cover on the front of the phone. I had to wiggle a pick between the space and the 0 key.

Q10 & 9900 on Bell Mobility
    12-10-13 06:54 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys! I'm not too much of a novice with messing with electronics, so we'll see how it goes. I'll post again if I have any problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    12-10-13 10:20 PM
    Those damned phillips screws are giving me trouble. I've tried #0, #00 and #000 screw driver sizes but none of them fit.

What size screw driver did you guys use?
    12-21-13 01:21 PM
    I used a tiny slotted one for fixing eyeglasses.

12-22-13 09:56 AM
    12-22-13 11:43 AM
    Watch the youtube video on how to replace it. Its very good. One thing that I did have a problem with was removing the 2 philips head screws that hold the keyboard in. They are really small and very tite. Everything else was a breeze.

Posted via CB10
    Tight. Not tit.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 03:25 PM
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 04:16 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...3/#post9531793

Did mine not too long ago. Video is pretty much spot on. Did have an issue with the last 2 screws that hold the kb in, so I just snapped the kb off and luckily it worked fine, nothing is loose or anything.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 11:28 PM
    Watch the copper adhesive tape, that stuff's got sharp edges.

I managed to replace my keyboard, but couldn't use it for a few hours 'cause of a huge gash on my right thumb.

Also it's a lot harder to damage the screen ribbon cable on the Q10 than it is on the Z10, 'cause it doesn't have that really tight feed-through, also no adhesive or screws holding the screen down.

Slightly larger screws than the Z10 too. I think I was using T4 and T6 torx bits, where the Z10 was T2 and T4 (I think). There's some tiny Phillips (+) screws holding the screen and keyboard together too, and I couldn't remove those without stripping the hell out of them. Eventually wound up just snapping that tiny piece of metal apart, which worked, but is obviously not recommended.

Some of the parts (screen especially) come out on one side before the other, because of how it's built, so don't just start pushing.

Remember to remove the headphone port before removing the board.
    12-23-13 12:30 PM
    Those damned phillips screws are giving me trouble. I've tried #0, #00 and #000 screw driver sizes but none of them fit.

What size screw driver did you guys use?
    Didn't even see this before offering my advice. Hmm.

I just ended up snapping the metal bit entirely... which is probably not what you want to do. Apparently I'm not the only one, however.
    12-23-13 12:31 PM
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try again tonight, I got another screwdriver set that should fit.

I hope I don't strip the screw because I don't think I'm brave enough to snap the metal haha. We'll see what happens.
    12-23-13 05:00 PM
    I did it!

Albeit that I had to ultimately use the "snap off the whole thing" method as the screws were completely stripped. But everything works and nothings seems loose or makes any noise. Atleast if I need to change the keyboard again, it'll be super easy haha.

Thanks again guys.
    12-24-13 03:52 PM
    I did it!

Albeit that I had to ultimately use the "snap off the whole thing" method as the screws were completely stripped. But everything works and nothings seems loose or makes any noise. Atleast if I need to change the keyboard again, it'll be super easy haha.

Thanks again guys.
    Do you notice any difference in quality?
    12-24-13 08:47 PM
    Do you notice any difference in quality?
    Nope. It feels brand new and tactile, doesn't feel like it's a cheap part from ebay (even though it is) haha.
    12-24-13 09:30 PM
    So i'm going to be trying this soon, ordered my parts and tools (ordered a screwdriver set with sizes #00, #000, #0000, couldn't find anything about smaller screws then those, so I'm hoping i'll have the perfect size) and plan on making a tutorial for everyone.

I feel confident in what i'm doing, but would like tips / advice on the tutorial part... I'll take pictures at every step and have things laid out neatly, but any other suggestions?
    12-27-13 05:54 PM
    Well, the first 2 screw you have to undo, the pentalobe screws holding the top part on the back (above the battery cover) are now entirely stripped after using the pentalobe screwdriver I bought for them. Tried using a knife to create a slice in the head of the screw to then use a flat head screwdriver, no luck, rubberband method, no luck. So today i'm taking it to a computer repair service store to have them dremel out the stripped screws and replace them with with either torx screws or regular phillips.

Why blackberry opted for pentalobe screws is beyond me.
    01-02-14 09:52 AM
    OK, so I finally finished, no pics or anything, the video's online are exactly what you need.

I ended up having to dremel the screws holding in the top part, the screw heads aren't there, but parts of the screw still are, so i can't put in new screws.. but no biggie, that piece also has a plastic tab that clicks in, and the 2 tabs that the screws would go through are still there and help keep it in place.. it doesn't slip or move.

Tips:
    Make sure you get the right size pentalobe screwdrive, mine was too small.
    you NEED a size #0000 screwdriver for the keyboard screws
    when taking out the keyboard screws, press down very hard and spin carefully so you don't strip the screws, even with the right size screwdriver, I could feel it wanting to slip.
    Pealing back the sticker is a PIA, only peal back as much as you need.
    The copper sticker covering one screw of the keyboard IS important, so be careful with it (I used my fingernails carefully) and put it back after and smooth it down.

All that being said, if I had to do this again, to another phone, i'd feel very capable and confident. If you have some experience taking things apart and putting them back together, grab the right tools and do it.
    01-03-14 08:48 AM
    I used a torx screwdriver AND a small jewellers slotted screwdriver on the torx screws to remove the Q10's screws without stripping them. Just need to be careful.

01-03-14 11:29 AM
    I went to Sears and got a #0000. For the life of me I can't loosen these darn two scews! I've tried to press down hard like you recommended and yet nothing. Any other suggestions? Damn you RIM for not using Torx screws here.
    03-15-14 04:36 PM
    OK, so I finally finished, no pics or anything, the video's online are exactly what you need.

I ended up having to dremel the screws holding in the top part, the screw heads aren't there, but parts of the screw still are, so i can't put in new screws.. but no biggie, that piece also has a plastic tab that clicks in, and the 2 tabs that the screws would go through are still there and help keep it in place.. it doesn't slip or move.

Tips:
    Make sure you get the right size pentalobe screwdrive, mine was too small.
    you NEED a size #0000 screwdriver for the keyboard screws
    when taking out the keyboard screws, press down very hard and spin carefully so you don't strip the screws, even with the right size screwdriver, I could feel it wanting to slip.
    Pealing back the sticker is a PIA, only peal back as much as you need.
    The copper sticker covering one screw of the keyboard IS important, so be careful with it (I used my fingernails carefully) and put it back after and smooth it down.

All that being said, if I had to do this again, to another phone, i'd feel very capable and confident. If you have some experience taking things apart and putting them back together, grab the right tools and do it.
    Could you tell me which Torx screwdrivers are needed for all the screws on the back?

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 05:51 AM
    Yeah, the two phillips screws that hold the kb to the screen are the ******* of bastards!

I ended up actually breaking my outer bezel at the corner when I snapped the keyboard off, and had to replace that too.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 08:01 AM
    Yeah, the two phillips screws that hold the kb to the screen are the ******* of bastards!

I ended up actually breaking my outer bezel at the corner when I snapped the keyboard off, and had to replace that too.

Posted via CB10
    There gotta be just ONE screwdriver that works for those two screws for keyboard but everybody is saying this screwdriver or that screwdriver.. which screwdriver is it?!

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 09:27 AM
26 12