Charge cycles affecting battery consumption? Batteries stopped working like that in the 1990s.

I agree with the premise behind your argument, but you lost all credibility with this post.

Posted via CB10
    Not true. Read the instructions on battery manufacturers sites. Even the most recent batteries need initial training, i.e. 5 or 6 complete discharge/charge cycles, in order to push them to their optimum performance.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 07:59 AM
    The battery life on my Q10 is unbelievable. I use my phone for work during the week and consistently get 36 hours with heavy use.

I use it more lightly over the weekend and regularly go Friday to Sunday with life left. 72 hours is achievable.

I work from home so my phone is almost always connected to WiFi, rather than using network data, and I'm sure this has an impact.

The only time my battery drains is when I use it as a GPS and forget to plug in the car charger.

Mine is an SQN100-3 made in Mexico.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this post. My Q10 was the same with regards to uptime on battery usage. Phone had far superior battery life, only my 9930 was better but it also used less resources.
    07-26-13 08:07 AM
    USA here, Dallas to be more specific, AT&T. Usually 3-5 bars LTE service, bluetooth/nfc off, wifi on all day. I get through a heavy workday easily with my Q10. No streaming of any kind, just browsing, maybe a little gaming, heavy email, bbm, and text. Maybe a few calls depending on what I have going on.

I can do all of this and I will have 20% or so around midnight (on wifi @ work too). This is phenomenal in comparison to my prior iPhone 4s. I'm ecstatic with it, had it since AT&T launch. This might not qualify as heavy use to some; for me it's nice not to need a spare charger at work. 4s was toast by 3-4pm most days.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 08:08 AM
    Not true. Read the instructions on battery manufacturers sites. Even the most recent batteries need initial training, i.e. 5 or 6 complete discharge/charge cycles, in order to push them to their optimum performance.

Posted via CB10
    Sure they do! Haha

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 10:17 AM
    My battery life is significantly better than any Android, iPhone, Windows, or BlackBerry I've ever had. I get 20-40 hours with Wifi, 4G, Bluetooth on and display just above half brightness.

Best of Luck

Q10
    07-26-13 10:27 AM
    I completely agree battery life is screwed on BlackBerry. And the people praising the q10 batt. Life are the people who had a z10 first. Which is what I use. The z10 battery life sucks hard core. I have to turn off all features and dim screen and turn off notifications and turn off push email. That's why when I read new DROID razor max gets 48 hours straight I get upset. BlackBerry needs to focus on battery life and not stupid games apps or social crap that just kills battery more. I don't use Facebook or Twitter and battery life sucks.

Champ
    What OS are you running? I have .4543 on my Z10 and I get 48 hours easy with moderate use. The higher OS leaks improve the battery life by leaps and bounds.
    07-26-13 10:38 AM
    Just my 2 cents..

I'm a heavy user - 3G all day with wifi on in office, heavy BBM, email, moderate browsing and CB10.. I get by with 12-14 hours on the Z10...

Z10STL100-1/10.1.0.4537

sexy as hell Z10 via CB10
    07-26-13 10:51 AM
    What OS are you running? I have .4543 on my Z10 and I get 48 hours easy with moderate use. The higher OS leaks improve the battery life by leaps and bounds.
    I'm on the newest one. And I'm on Verizon and I couldn't get 48 hours if I just let my phone sit and drain and never touch it. I don't believe you. you are not on Verizon right?

48 hours. Only a razor max with a 3000 mah battery or more could get 48 hours and that's the limit there is no way in hell a 1800 or 1900mah Battery can officially list specs of 18 hours of using and you are getting 3 times that. You are wrong. Software can improve things but not double a lifespan.

Champ
    07-26-13 12:41 PM
    Just my 2 cents..

I'm a heavy user - 3G all day with wifi on in office, heavy BBM, email, moderate browsing and CB10.. I get by with 12-14 hours on the Z10...

Z10STL100-1/10.1.0.4537

sexy as hell Z10 via CB10
    3 g. Maybe it's my 4g LTE making the difference. 12 hours seems decent considering the best specs listed by blackberry are around 6 hours more than that.

Your comments are reasonable.

Champ
    07-26-13 12:44 PM
    48 hours because of a leak. Best joke I heard all day. Like a car that lists 35 mpg then installing a software upgrade or computer management program and now you get 70. Oh and if I turn off my ac I triple it.

Champ
    07-26-13 12:47 PM
    I can't switch to 3 g only.

Champ
    07-26-13 12:58 PM
    Charge cycles affecting battery consumption? Batteries stopped working like that in the 1990s.

I agree with the premise behind your argument, but you lost all credibility with this post.

Posted via CB10
    Please do reseach before posting this rhetoric. I'm not talking about the old battery tech that needed to die completely then recharge to prolong life, I'm talking about a few days use with consistent charging will allow the battery to be conditioned. Read instructions for ios devices, android, windows phone and even laptops to learn about a few charge cylces helping with battery life.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 01:13 PM
    I'm loving my Q10 and it makes it a full day no problem. I use this more the my 9930. I have 2 berries now and I'll say this battery is way better then my 9930 in terms of being on it all day and it actually lasting! I have not changed any settings either.

On a side note I do love the keyboard as well!!

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 01:23 PM
    Need nuclear energy nano cells now ,thus discussion resolved ,charge for lifetime.
    But side effects may follow
    07-26-13 01:47 PM
    Radioactive world that too in hands
    07-26-13 01:48 PM
    I'm also less than impressed with the battery life in my Q10 too. Considering the 2100mAH battery has over 30% more capacity than the battery in my old phone (Nokia) it replaced the fact that the Q10 has a shorter run time for the same usage patterns is concerning.

The screen on the Q10 is slightly larger than my old phone so that will account for some of the difference as will the quicker processor but I believe the major reason will be due to the fact that BB10 constantly forces a data connection wifi or HSPDA, every minute and second it is switched on with no true control over it will be the main reason for higher battery drain.

In my short time as a Blackberry owner that lack of user option and control Blackberry offer over what I'm used to is becoming quite stark. I can't believe how prescriptive and inflexible BB10 is. I should be able to set my Q10 to make data connections only as and when needed. Which obviously means not being forced to run BBM in the background 24/7.
    07-26-13 02:28 PM
    48 hours because of a leak. Best joke I heard all day. Like a car that lists 35 mpg then installing a software upgrade or computer management program and now you get 70. Oh and if I turn off my ac I triple it.

Champ
    I can confirm the leaks have improved the battery life tremendously. I went from 10.0 something to 10.1.0.1720 and then to the leaked 10.1.0.4537 and I have seen phenomenal battery improvement. Battery life is also related to how heavy or light the whole mobile software system is. If the OS decides to do the same amount of work (such as opening/running an app) in less juice, your battery starts showing improvement. The comparison you made isn't reasonable and valid.

I'm also less than impressed with the battery life in my Q10 too. Considering the 2100mAH battery has over 30% more capacity than the battery in my old phone (Nokia) it replaced the fact that the Q10 has a shorter run time for the same usage patterns is concerning.

The screen on the Q10 is slightly larger than my old phone so that will account for some of the difference as will the quicker processor but I believe the major reason will be due to the fact that BB10 constantly forces a data connection wifi or HSPDA, every minute and second it is switched on with no true control over it will be the main reason for higher battery drain.

In my short time as a Blackberry owner that lack of user option and control Blackberry offer over what I'm used to is becoming quite stark. I can't believe how prescriptive and inflexible BB10 is. I should be able to set my Q10 to make data connections only as and when needed. Which obviously means not being forced to run BBM in the background 24/7.
    You can certainly keep the wifi and 4G connection off if your carrier allows it. BBM, whatsapp, email and such will run 24/7 on any other mobile device as well - be it Android or iOS and WP8 as well. Let your phone stabilize, you will see battery improvements over time. When I first got my Z10, I used to get by with 7-8 hours at the most with 3G on and I'm a heavy user. Over time (which is the past 3 months) and OS updates, battery life did improve substantially.
    07-26-13 02:38 PM
    I can confirm the leaks have improved the battery life tremendously. I went from 10.0 something to 10.1.0.1720 and then to the leaked 10.1.0.4537 and I have seen phenomenal battery improvement. Battery life is also related to how heavy or light the whole mobile software system is. If the OS decides to do the same amount of work (such as opening/running an app) in less juice, your battery starts showing improvement. The comparison you made isn't reasonable and valid.

You can certainly keep the wifi and 4G connection off if your carrier allows it. BBM, whatsapp, email and such will run 24/7 on any other mobile device as well - be it Android or iOS and WP8 as well. Let your phone stabilize, you will see battery improvements over time. When I first got my Z10, I used to get by with 7-8 hours at the most with 3G on and I'm a heavy user. Over time (which is the past 3 months) and OS updates, battery life did improve substantially.
    How do I make my os, decide to do work more efficiently, do I say pretty place. And the analogy does make sense if you know how one is suppose to work. Leaks do improve battery but there is no way in hell that they can double a battery life unless the os was a prototype first leak with out testing

BlackBerry unleashed a finished product and gave specs on their heavily tested device. You really they like listing such a battery life spec statement as 18 hours or so? No but they did a lot of testing a lot of software tweaking and showed what their z10 can get under optimal use and more than likely minimal use. Without a bunch of Android ports running. They don't under sell they over quote just like car makers do when listing mpg. Owner usage and add ons deplete battery or mpg drastically. Software updates improve minimally.

Champ
    07-26-13 02:57 PM
    I find it hard to believe people are making posts about bad battery life on a Q10? That be like complaining about acceleration on a Ferrari!!! The Q10 battery life is far and away the best of any of the high end smartphones to come out within say the last year or so, all with similar tech specs.

What are you guys doing that drains battery? I am constantly looking at my BeBuzz app running in the background that shows % of battery left and I can go through a an entire workday with the phone fully charged starting out and by the time I get home its still often showing better than 70%+ and at worst is showing 60%+!!!

Is the BeBuzz app thee most scientific way to judge everything going on with the battery? Of course not, but it is interesting to note that while its running it does show you the battery percentage and of course the normal power bar on top of the screen shows that most of it is still full.

I make numerous phone calls, texts, whats app, have BeBuzz running constantly, might watch a couple of Netflix shows if I am bored and have downtime or listen to a little music either from my library or streamed. Constantly using the phone, battery life blows away my coworkers using Androids and iPhones constantly complaining about looking for an outlook, misplacing their chargers, borrowing other chargers, constantly thinking about charging their phones. Me? I don't even worry about it, my phone has the endurance of a marathon runner.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-26-13 04:24 PM
    I just saw bb's website stating 10 hours of 3g use for the z10. q10 gets more than that. Bunch of asterics next to it indicating expect less I'm sure. I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading to the q10. Wish my z10 held some value. Sucks I paid 200 for it and got it preorder. Now its available for free.
    07-26-13 07:56 PM
    I am a bit neutral-ish about my battery life on my Q10. My 9780's battery was shot, so I'd be lucky to get a day and a half or less out of it; and the phone would sometimes die at 60% battery left, so to me, this phone is a huge lifesaver on battery; since I've had much worse. I've read a few of the replies to this original post, so please forgive the repetition if these tips have already been mentioned, but here are some battery saving tips:

1) turn off vibration notifications if you are using a sound + vibrate profile. It takes more power to use a vibrate notification. Try using just a sound notification profile.
    2) try using Bedside Mode when you are asleep and not using the phone.
    3) if you have any apps running constantly (since some apps can't run in the background yet, so my "Who Is It?" color ID app really affects my battery life if I leave it on for hours), think about closing them and not running them.
    4) try updating to the latest OS.

I can't think of any more tips now, but CrackBerry is full of them. I have to agree with the other posters who talk about usage. Honestly, I am always on my phone. "I'm bored - let's check Facebook (even though I think it's a waste of time - case in point here I guess lol). Or I'll check Twitter, or just text friends and soon I'll notice a battery change. Data usage and battery life are big factors. If you're loading up a lot of stuff, or making a lot of calls, then your battery life - even if it's a brand new phone - will decrease.

I hope you find more satisfaction in your Q10, and I understand your disappointment. Battery life can always be better - since we as the consumers want more bang for our buck - but hey, buy a spare battery, charge it, and swap 'em when you need to! Huzzah!
    07-26-13 10:14 PM
    Whoever you are, I love this post. "Like a marathon runner" = awesome.
    07-26-13 10:18 PM
    Short and simple breakdown of phone usuage today to compare to other users.

*this is on lte, 50% brightness,push email,accuweather and wallpaperHD running.

70 minutes of calls
    Some browsing with short clips(about 10mins worth of video)
    Chatting on bbm/whatsapp through the day
    Usual 4-5 received emails(not many, I know)
    Other app usage (twitter,fb,linkedin, and checking CB probably every 30 minutes)
    Music on the way to and from work (about a 25 minute commute)

Phone comes off the charger at 7:25am and it is now approximately 11:30pm and I have 23% battery left.

I'm happy with my Q.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 10:33 PM
    OP, I think you said it best in your original post, it's like the lottery with the Q10 battery life.

For kicks and giggles, I ran a quick study last night. At bedtime, I turned phone OFF with 90% battery, woke up today, turned it back on and found I was left with 79%.

11% drain in about 8 hours with the phone powered off. Now the question is: (1) defective battery or (2) battery drain when device is powered off.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mboujoul; 07-28-13 at 09:37 AM.
    07-27-13 08:58 AM
    Well I'm at 50 percent after 24 hours. Minimal use no wifi on. Finally I'm getting somewhere. Latest leak and extreme settings and now my phone can go the distance.

Champ
    07-27-13 03:08 PM
59 123