Another reason I still carry around my Curve is for the FM Radio app. I know it was added in 10.2.1, but these two situations frustrate me. I hope these can be fixed in a future BB10 OS release:

Situation 1: Q10 forgets I had FM radio on:
    - My BB is in my holster, playing FM radio on my headset. I press the mute button to stop it. I can press the mute button to start it again.
    - I unplug my headset, but leave the BB in the holster
    - I plug the headset back in (still without removing the BB from the holster)
    - On the Curve, it starts the FM radio back up (though it does unlock it while still holstered, causing keyboard mash). But on the Q10, it completely forgets that I had FM radio open and starts playing at random (literally) from my music library (after a few seconds' pause, so after I pull the headset back out to switch to the curve, it starts playing on the speaker!).
    - In order to get the Q10 to start playing radio again, I have to remove it from the holster, find the music app, then tap on my desired radio station.
    - This situation occurs if I want to unplug the headset from my device to type something or take a photo out of reach of the headset.

Situation 1: Playing FM radio on speaker:
    For those who don't use it, FM radio requires the headset to be plugged in to act as an antenna, so you can't just unplug the headset if you want to listen to the radio with the speaker instead of the earbuds.
    How to toggle between headset and speaker on BB7:
    1. Open the FM radio app
    2. Navigate to the bottom right button and click it. (Whichever one it's on, it switches to the other)
    How to toggle between headset and speaker on BB10:
    1. Open the music app
    2. Navigate to the FM radio screen (the fourth button at the bottom)
    3. Click the three dots at the bottom right to bring up the menu
    4. Click on "now playing" to bring up the station that's currently playing
    5. Click the three dots at the bottom right to bring up the menu
    6. Click the "Audio" menu option (bottom of the list)
    7. Figure out which of the two options, "Speaker" or "Headset" is the one you're on and which one you want
    8. Select it

The most annoying part is step 7. There are only two options (neither of which is shown as being the currently selected one), so it should only take one click to toggle between "the one that's active now" to "the one that's not active now".

The only reason for this extra step is if there were more than two options, like HDMI. If I plug into an HDMI monitor with speakers I don't see an additional option appear to output FM audio to HDMI.

So there are a few suggestions here for improvements to the BB10 FM Radio app:
    - Have the Music app remember when FM radio was the last thing played so it can be restarted when pressing the mute button on the headset (or the one on the device), even if the headset is removed and reinserted and even if the device is removed from the holster/unlocked.
    - When only two audio output options for FM radio, make the "audio" option an automatic toggle instead of having to select from a menu of two options
    - Make HDMI output an option for FM radio (maybe it is but it requires restarting the music app?)
    - When three or more audio output options for FM radio, indicate which is the currently selected one to help differentiate.

I was very happy to see the FM radio re-introduced in 10.2.1 after having gotten used to it in BB7. Hopefully these additional kinks can be worked out in an upcoming BBOS release.

(BTW: the best headset IMO is the OEM one that used to come with the Curve/Pearl/Etc, with the offset-conical earbud and the right-angle plug. I have to buy them in bulk online for $3-5 ea because they only last 2-3 months with my level of use, but I literally [sic] sometimes can't tell if it's in my ear or not when nothing's playing, and it tends to stay there.)

- RG>
    rai187 likes this.
    05-15-14 02:01 AM
    Nice write up!
    05-15-14 09:08 PM
    You might try "TuneIn." A free app. Have a huge number of stations to choose from plus a grouping of YOUR favorites. The best ear phones I've used are the Bowers & Wilkins C5. Pricey, but great with excellent ambient sound decrease. Another good choice is the Bang & Olufsen A8 or 3i. Both are excellent for light weight and great sound. Both are fragile but worth the effort.
    05-16-14 12:50 PM
    You might try "TuneIn." A free app. Have a huge number of stations to choose from plus a grouping of YOUR favorites. The best ear phones I've used are the Bowers & Wilkins C5. Pricey, but great with excellent ambient sound decrease. Another good choice is the Bang & Olufsen A8 or 3i. Both are excellent for light weight and great sound. Both are fragile but worth the effort.
    Tune app need data connection

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 01:00 PM