this is my first thread creation so I apologize if It's in the wrong section or something, I've seen this asked but I wanted to go deeper into the idea, So blackberry os 10 Essentially is running android os underneath the blackberry platform. Say I wanted to run vanilla android on my Q10 would it be possible? I read that the bootloader is locked down pretty good since this is a device based on security. What if the bootloader was unlocked would one be able to create a ROM like that of Android and install it? I've seen things about hybrid BBOS but i'm not sure what it is because i have a q10 its my first blackberry. I just wanted to go deeper into the idea, dont get me wrong i love my blackberry but the blackberry os 10 is lacking apps and without the developers thats what makes blackberry a dying brand in the average consumers life. Its obviously capable of running android even back to ics days the specs are better in this phone then they are in lower range android phones, if anyone is up for it I'd love to try and make this a reality, or learn more about things that could be possible like hybrid os and maybe even ubuntu touch!
    10-12-14 12:48 AM
    No. It is NOT running Android OS

It can run android apps, but it is not running Android.

They are compiled and run under the so called "runtime" which sandboxes them and only allows them to run and have hooks for other parts of the OS.

BB10 is a completely different OS running under a different kernel (QNX)

It's like how you can runs Windows Applications on Linux using an emulator (wine)

Posted via CB10
    No. It is NOT running Android OS

It can run android apps, but it is not running Android.

They are compiled and run under the so called "runtime" which sandboxes them and only allows them to run and have hooks for other parts of the OS.

BB10 is a completely different OS running under a different kernel (QNX)

It's like how you can runs Windows Applications on Linux using an emulator (wine)

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 12:55 AM
    this is my first thread creation so I apologize if It's in the wrong section or something, I've seen this asked but I wanted to go deeper into the idea, So blackberry os 10 Essentially is running android os underneath the blackberry platform. Say I wanted to run vanilla android on my Q10 would it be possible? I read that the bootloader is locked down pretty good since this is a device based on security. What if the bootloader was unlocked would one be able to create a ROM like that of Android and install it? I've seen things about hybrid BBOS but i'm not sure what it is because i have a q10 its my first blackberry. I just wanted to go deeper into the idea, dont get me wrong i love my blackberry but the blackberry os 10 is lacking apps and without the developers thats what makes blackberry a dying brand in the average consumers life. Its obviously capable of running android even back to ics days the specs are better in this phone then they are in lower range android phones, if anyone is up for it I'd love to try and make this a reality, or learn more about things that could be possible like hybrid os and maybe even ubuntu touch!
    Well actually it does run Android in the background... but it's only Android Runtime. I think you can think of it as just a virtual OS. Sort of like when you run Windows XP on Windows 7 Professional through "Windows XP Mode", after having turned on Hyper-virtualisation of your processor off your ROM--except XP Mode can't easily see your "real" desktop. Or remoting to your office desk from home by logging onto your corporate VPN and logging in by Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)--except the information is stored in your hard drive and not in your work computer.

I think the way BlackBerry does it is they have installed the virtual OS "Android Runtime" but also created apps/"Android services" that allow it to access the BlackBerry 10 OS through virtual network ports so as to allow BlackBerry to both allow apps to access data you allow and block apps from accessing data you want to restrict. Encryptions, security checks and all that jazz. Well theoretically at least.

See below, where you'll notice that certain Android Services (I didn't include all):

Android OS on Blackberry Q10?-img_20141012_000828.png
    Android OS on Blackberry Q10?-img_20141012_000835.png
    Android OS on Blackberry Q10?-img_20141012_000842.png
    Android OS on Blackberry Q10?-img_20141012_000849.png
    Android OS on Blackberry Q10?-img_20141012_000855.png
    Android OS on Blackberry Q10?-img_20141012_000919.png
    Android OS on Blackberry Q10?-img_20141012_000927.png

Similarly, those apps tunnel into apps showing on BlackBerry 10, seamlessly appearing as a regular BlackBerry 10 app in an active frame. Android basically thinks BlackBerry 10 is the launcher, when in fact it's the actual OS whereas Android is just the virtual one.

Anyway, yeah I don't think you can do what you're asking unless you're actually one of the engineers at BlackBerry, in which case you can put out the idea of running Ubuntu or whatever into the OS as a virtual OS running under the QNX system.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    10-12-14 02:16 AM
    Just update your OS to the latest version of 10.2.1.xxxx or 10.3.0.xxxx and sideload Snap. Pretty much all android apps will work on it.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 02:50 AM
    I have sideloaded snap but there are some apps that don't work like the standard snapchat app needs google dependencies in order to run others need the same. I have yet to find a list/site that has these apps need for dependencies removed.
    10-12-14 05:04 AM
    The only time I have seen happening something like this was with the HTC HD2. This was a Windows 6.5 phone. While the hardware was phantastic the operating system was outdated.

After half a year or so good guys at XDA Developers issued an Android ROM. Honestly, this phone was an Android milestone even if it was not intended to run the little robot. It was used within my family for almost four years which translate - similar to dogs - into 28 human years.

To answer your question: I would assume that this is theoretically possible but the developers concentrate on phones which are more widespread in the market.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 05:53 AM
    I have sideloaded snap but there are some apps that don't work like the standard snapchat app needs google dependencies in order to run others need the same. I have yet to find a list/site that has these apps need for dependencies removed.
    Patch it using lucky patcher or using Cobalt's method. And 10.3.1 is the best OS to run android apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 08:53 AM
    I know about the hd2 it I had a gsm carrier I would have gotten that phone when I had the chance lol! Until 10.3.1 comes out officially I won't use it, I just had so many issues with the leak.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 01:47 PM
    I know about the hd2 it I had a gsm carrier I would have gotten that phone when I had the chance lol! Until 10.3.1 comes out officially I won't use it, I just had so many issues with the leak.

Posted via CB10
    Leaks are actually the releases from BlackBerry itself, the latest 10.3 leaks are official for passport. But the term official for BlackBerry OS means, carrier should approve the OS and push it to that device model so you may or may not get the OS! Am having absolutely 0 issues with my q10 running 10.3.1.xxx

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 10:15 PM
    Leaks are actually the releases from BlackBerry itself, the latest 10.3 leaks are official for passport. But the term official for BlackBerry OS means, carrier should approve the OS and push it to that device model so you may or may not get the OS! Am having absolutely 0 issues with my q10 running 10.3.1.xxx

Posted via CB10
    It seemed like it wasnt fully optimized which is logical because its a leak, my battery was dying faster, alarms werent working and my keyboard was slow.
    10-12-14 10:19 PM
    It seemed like it wasnt fully optimized which is logical because its a leak, my battery was dying faster, alarms werent working and my keyboard was slow.
    Which OS was that?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 10:21 PM
    Which OS was that?

Posted via CB10
    10.3.1.xxx the one which was a full OS i don't remember the number though.
    10-12-14 10:33 PM
    10.3.1.xxx the one which was a full OS i don't remember the number though.
    Did you do a security wipe after installing the OS? And did you to restore your data too?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 04:59 AM
    Did you do a security wipe after installing the OS? And did you to restore your data too?

Posted via CB10
    I security wipe before using autoloader as well as after and I never restore.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 05:14 AM
    I security wipe before using autoloader as well as after and I never restore.

Posted via CB10
    A security wipe after installing, solved all the problems for me .

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:20 PM
    A security wipe after installing, solved all the problems for me .

Posted via CB10
    which is what i have read most places, but its the lack of application notifications like kik for example its not supported and has to be open to get notifications things like that it why I regret my blackberry.
    10-13-14 08:21 PM
    which is what i have read most places, but its the lack of application notifications like kik for example its not supported and has to be open to get notifications things like that it why I regret my blackberry.
    That's not going to change.

Consider leaving your applications open in an active frame. That's why they exist.

Otherwise start emailing the developers asking for native versions.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 09:52 PM
    That's not going to change.

Consider leaving your applications open in an active frame. That's why they exist.

Otherwise start emailing the developers asking for native versions.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I think you'll notice that if you go to your Android settings, hidden in the runtime (so go download something to get to it), you'll see that all Android apps run headless... which is why you have to force close each one there because otherwise, it'll continue to run and drain your battery.

I've noticed that some continue to push notifications to my Hub well after I had closed its active frame. You can see it running still in Device Control but you can't close it there fully until you force close it in Android settings. Very annoying but ensures that your BB10 device gets longer battery life.

10-15-14 06:12 AM
    Actually, I think you'll notice that if you go to your Android settings, hidden in the runtime (so go download something to get to it), you'll see that all Android apps run headless... which is why you have to force close each one there because otherwise, it'll continue to run and drain your battery.

I've noticed that some continue to push notifications to my Hub well after I had closed its active frame. You can see it running still in Device Control but you can't close it there fully until you force close it in Android settings. Very annoying but ensures that your BB10 device gets longer battery life.

Yes, some of them, but it's never the useful ones, isn't it?

Also, I would kill them completely. They don't stay closed now.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 02:39 PM
    I think it's just like Java and Windows. You run Windows, yet, a Java application uses Java to install. The same way, the same application will use Java on a Mac or a Linux distro to work. So it's the same : Java allows to develop programs and it lets them run, the Android runtime does exactly the same. You have the same program you can install through Java, no matter the OS (Windows, Mac, Linux). Example : aTunes, a crossplatform music player which has a cross-platform Java form.

So Blackberry does not run Android, the same way a PC does not run Java. The Blackberry runs Blackberry OS 10.x which has the Android Runtime equivalent to Android 4.2, the same way a PC runs Windows/Mac/Linux which has Java 7.x.
    11-19-14 06:45 PM