Hi guys,

I've been lurking around the forums for awhile now, dropping a few comments here and there while gleaming insights from you fellow forum users.

I come from a line of using Android as soon as the feature phone era took its sweet time fizzling out. I've use a samsung Galaxy S, LG 4X HD Optimus, and on the side, a Samsung Omnia W ( was one of the lesser known Windows phone that was pretty decent for it's price)

Used a blackberry for awhile before, having borrowed one from a friend, it was maybe 3-4 years ago so I don't know the exact model though I'd recognize it if I saw it. I thought, bah what;s with this antiquated keyboard thing? I returned it to him a few days after.

I honestly did enjoy using Android. There were tons of apps, more than I needed, screen size was great ( the LG I had was 4.3 inch and screen ratio perfect for videos ), and with widgets etc, you could really customize your phone to look like anything you wanted it to. There was a lively community of developers ,bless them, at XDA who did their best to make every odd ball android phone live to its fullest. But alas, one thing I couldn't tolerate, battery life. Lugged my charger with me everywhere I went, and began calling it my desktop phone. Yes, there were alternatives like the Razzr Max etc, but overall battery life with Android is a dismal failure.

Describing my usage, I'm not what you'd call a heavy user. Yes, I'm frequently on whats app and facebook messenger,may reply a message every 30 minutes, read the news maybe 30-60 minutes on a lunch break at work, manually refresh my mail in boxes 2-3 times a day, and maybe an hours worth of call a day. Refer to some medical apps, mostly medscape,skyscape. Even with that, yes battery is ****. I'm not a developer, so I'm not speaking from a knowledgeable position, but as a layman, every god damn app is probably siphoning battery life to fuel an alien space ship somewhere.

Unplugging at 8am, battery is around 20% by 4pm. Unacceptable. I often work 24+ hour shifts as a doctor (aye, Ireland's working hours are somewhat..out of sync with human rights ) so fitting a charger in my pocket already laden with tons of paper, pens and medical bits puts an unhappy smile across the face. Charging pins poking into my thighs and all as though I was some human battery in the Matrix.

And no, I don't play games on my phone.

So I bought the q10.....why?

1) Okay it does look pretty cool, though I like the z10's back cover surface more. The q10s back cover is a bit too slippery

2) Arguing between the z10, I read the battery is better. I know I harp about this, but I just hate carrying a charger. It's like carrying raw fish in case I feel like eating fish. If I want to eat fish i'll fry the damn thing at home and bring it in a lunch box.

3) Over the years, I find I don't watch as many videos on my phone anymore, which I usually did as a I travelled. Now I tend to write in my notebook, read on my Kindle and well...just not videos. So the importance of a big screen began to lose its shine. I imagine the iphone 6 will have 6 rows of icons and 6 columns and the iphone 7 will have a 9.9 inch screen that comes with a chest piece to fasten it on to so you can look like Ironman

4) Boiling down app needs, all I really need is whatsapp ( yes, I don't know no one using BBM...) Skype (which sadly is in preview and is kinda buggy, but the android port seems to work) a news app (using Taptu now, which is okay for me ) and a podcast app (using podcast to go beta, its basic but aye its got a simple clean interface I like, I'm not a devoted podcast user so I don't need scheduled downloads etc, plus the podcast searching database works really well, a fact that that I like as I dont have to go copy pasting links etc) Navigation apps are well...okay so far I guess, I haven't gotten lost using them navigating Dublin so I'll give it a pass for now. Could use a travel app like tripadvisor perhaps, and some booking websites like booking/hostelbookers , and a forum app like taptalk.

5) I do like the square screen ! I don't know why, but perhaps its because I've always liked taking square photos even since I was a kid. One of my old cameras used to take 1:1 ratio photos so maybe thats why. i was thinking man, 3.1 inch ? That's going real small...but then again I used a galaxy S that was 3.5, and an Omnia W that was 3.7. Really, the screen is bigger than it looks. Yes, I'll admit reading sites require a bit more of scrolling , but I dont exactly read my country's constitution on a daily basis, so it's no biggie.

6) Native stuff. Okay, I'll say there's honestly nothing BB can do that Android can't do. Sorry to fizzle things, I was going good there. But what BB does better is make it all integrated natively. Android is like a piece of land that developers can go lala on and build whatever they like. Problem is at the end you've, yeah a pretty unique looking building that has pipes and staircases that lead everywhere and nowhere, and the integrity of the building suffers as a result. Lag, hanging, battery drain, invasive ads. BB on the other hand integrated things like the hub ( I've to say, this is the golden child of BB..I can hold nothing else higher), reader mode (which is awesome on a smaller screen and on ad laden websites ) and turn them to an art form.

7) Typing. OMG I actually like the physical keyboard. I'm not typing as fast but I like the clicky sensation.Initially I was still using my the tips of my nails, almost the nails but now I've gotten used to using the pulps of my thumbs to type. I'm slowly getting to the point of being able to type without looking. Will take awhile to perfect.

So yes, Android has gone with the lets take 2 yummy dish approach and hope they''ll end up to a tastier dish, which sometimes work, and doesn't at times. BB on the other hand takes the approach of perfecting a simple, humble dish.

Okay, BB does have ways to go with its app selection to be honest. They don't have many things they can call their own, the app market is living off android ports, and I've ported a couple of android apps over too. Fix that and we've got the engine running a bit smoother.

Camera could use more options. It's got a yellow hue to everything it takes and exposure is quite poorly balanced. Not much of a camera guy and mostly use my own camera on holidays so its not a deal breaker.

As for people who are thinking omg BB may close down, I don't really know what the future holds, but products in this day and age are lucky to get a 1.5 years support, so if it's dead by then...oh well. Just wonder if all the hub and stuff will continue to work. It should I guess.

Overall, I'm immensely satisfied with my device. I didn't sell my android (partly because its not a popular model, and may give it to a family member ), as I will probably come in handy someday, though I'll probably hold on to my new shiny toy for a long time to come.
    dietertong, jimmyjyc and Morty2264 like this.
    07-31-13 12:37 PM
    Welcome to the Dark Side LoL

Sent from my Z10 10.2.0.810 using Tapatalk 2
    Morty2264, Just Me and moody like this.
    07-31-13 12:48 PM
    I hear and obey, Lord Vader. Looking for cases now.
    07-31-13 01:11 PM
    Nice post my friend!
    07-31-13 01:34 PM
    a handy tip for when you're reading the news and such on your lunch break, on any webpage hit "r" for reader mode and you won't need to scroll side to side, and can quickly adjust font size.
    07-31-13 01:56 PM
    Finally a nice post....

Golf=passion
    ibpluto likes this.
    07-31-13 02:03 PM
    Hi guys,

I've been lurking around the forums for awhile now, dropping a few comments here and there while gleaming insights from you fellow forum users.

I come from a line of using Android as soon as the feature phone era took its sweet time fizzling out. I've use a samsung Galaxy S, LG 4X HD Optimus, and on the side, a Samsung Omnia W ( was one of the lesser known Windows phone that was pretty decent for it's price)

Used a blackberry for awhile before, having borrowed one from a friend, it was maybe 3-4 years ago so I don't know the exact model though I'd recognize it if I saw it. I thought, bah what;s with this antiquated keyboard thing? I returned it to him a few days after.

I honestly did enjoy using Android. There were tons of apps, more than I needed, screen size was great ( the LG I had was 4.3 inch and screen ratio perfect for videos ), and with widgets etc, you could really customize your phone to look like anything you wanted it to. There was a lively community of developers ,bless them, at XDA who did their best to make every odd ball android phone live to its fullest. But alas, one thing I couldn't tolerate, battery life. Lugged my charger with me everywhere I went, and began calling it my desktop phone. Yes, there were alternatives like the Razzr Max etc, but overall battery life with Android is a dismal failure.

Describing my usage, I'm not what you'd call a heavy user. Yes, I'm frequently on whats app and facebook messenger,may reply a message every 30 minutes, read the news maybe 30-60 minutes on a lunch break at work, manually refresh my mail in boxes 2-3 times a day, and maybe an hours worth of call a day. Refer to some medical apps, mostly medscape,skyscape. Even with that, yes battery is ****. I'm not a developer, so I'm not speaking from a knowledgeable position, but as a layman, every god damn app is probably siphoning battery life to fuel an alien space ship somewhere.

Unplugging at 8am, battery is around 20% by 4pm. Unacceptable. I often work 24+ hour shifts as a doctor (aye, Ireland's working hours are somewhat..out of sync with human rights ) so fitting a charger in my pocket already laden with tons of paper, pens and medical bits puts an unhappy smile across the face. Charging pins poking into my thighs and all as though I was some human battery in the Matrix.

And no, I don't play games on my phone.

So I bought the q10.....why?

1) Okay it does look pretty cool, though I like the z10's back cover surface more. The q10s back cover is a bit too slippery

2) Arguing between the z10, I read the battery is better. I know I harp about this, but I just hate carrying a charger. It's like carrying raw fish in case I feel like eating fish. If I want to eat fish i'll fry the damn thing at home and bring it in a lunch box.

3) Over the years, I find I don't watch as many videos on my phone anymore, which I usually did as a I travelled. Now I tend to write in my notebook, read on my Kindle and well...just not videos. So the importance of a big screen began to lose its shine. I imagine the iphone 6 will have 6 rows of icons and 6 columns and the iphone 7 will have a 9.9 inch screen that comes with a chest piece to fasten it on to so you can look like Ironman

4) Boiling down app needs, all I really need is whatsapp ( yes, I don't know no one using BBM...) Skype (which sadly is in preview and is kinda buggy, but the android port seems to work) a news app (using Taptu now, which is okay for me ) and a podcast app (using podcast to go beta, its basic but aye its got a simple clean interface I like, I'm not a devoted podcast user so I don't need scheduled downloads etc, plus the podcast searching database works really well, a fact that that I like as I dont have to go copy pasting links etc) Navigation apps are well...okay so far I guess, I haven't gotten lost using them navigating Dublin so I'll give it a pass for now. Could use a travel app like tripadvisor perhaps, and some booking websites like booking/hostelbookers , and a forum app like taptalk.

5) I do like the square screen ! I don't know why, but perhaps its because I've always liked taking square photos even since I was a kid. One of my old cameras used to take 1:1 ratio photos so maybe thats why. i was thinking man, 3.1 inch ? That's going real small...but then again I used a galaxy S that was 3.5, and an Omnia W that was 3.7. Really, the screen is bigger than it looks. Yes, I'll admit reading sites require a bit more of scrolling , but I dont exactly read my country's constitution on a daily basis, so it's no biggie.

6) Native stuff. Okay, I'll say there's honestly nothing BB can do that Android can't do. Sorry to fizzle things, I was going good there. But what BB does better is make it all integrated natively. Android is like a piece of land that developers can go lala on and build whatever they like. Problem is at the end you've, yeah a pretty unique looking building that has pipes and staircases that lead everywhere and nowhere, and the integrity of the building suffers as a result. Lag, hanging, battery drain, invasive ads. BB on the other hand integrated things like the hub ( I've to say, this is the golden child of BB..I can hold nothing else higher), reader mode (which is awesome on a smaller screen and on ad laden websites ) and turn them to an art form.

7) Typing. OMG I actually like the physical keyboard. I'm not typing as fast but I like the clicky sensation.Initially I was still using my the tips of my nails, almost the nails but now I've gotten used to using the pulps of my thumbs to type. I'm slowly getting to the point of being able to type without looking. Will take awhile to perfect.

So yes, Android has gone with the lets take 2 yummy dish approach and hope they''ll end up to a tastier dish, which sometimes work, and doesn't at times. BB on the other hand takes the approach of perfecting a simple, humble dish.

Okay, BB does have ways to go with its app selection to be honest. They don't have many things they can call their own, the app market is living off android ports, and I've ported a couple of android apps over too. Fix that and we've got the engine running a bit smoother.

Camera could use more options. It's got a yellow hue to everything it takes and exposure is quite poorly balanced. Not much of a camera guy and mostly use my own camera on holidays so its not a deal breaker.

As for people who are thinking omg BB may close down, I don't really know what the future holds, but products in this day and age are lucky to get a 1.5 years support, so if it's dead by then...oh well. Just wonder if all the hub and stuff will continue to work. It should I guess.

Overall, I'm immensely satisfied with my device. I didn't sell my android (partly because its not a popular model, and may give it to a family member ), as I will probably come in handy someday, though I'll probably hold on to my new shiny toy for a long time to come.
    Thanks for the lengthy bit of insight. My huge question for you is what sort of battery life are you receiving now that you have switched to the Q10? You indicated that you would have 20% on Android by 4:00 p.m. if you took it off the charger at 8:00 a.m. What is your general percentage on the Q10 under the same circumstances?
    Last edited by law2010; 07-31-13 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Grammatical errors.
    jimmyjyc likes this.
    07-31-13 02:34 PM
    Welcome to the universe of BlackBerry!
    I'm so glad you love the Q10, and your Android phone does sound super neat. You should keep it as a back-up phone in case! And as a random aside, I love your use of "aye" in conversation.
    07-31-13 05:53 PM
    Hsianloon,
    You have an interesting way of writing - I enjoyed reading your post. I also appreciate the time and thought you put into it. I hope you continue to participate - Crackberry can use as many people like you as they can get.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-31-13 06:03 PM
    Great post! I thought it was well written and I appreciate the honesty. I'm trying to practice typing without looking as well. I find that I still look at the keys but, I'm speeding up because there are certain keys that muscle memory takes over and I don't have to look before I type. Little by little! I hope you continue to enjoy the phone and hope you find the forums to your liking!

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10!
    07-31-13 06:40 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! (we'll spare you for snooping around the forums unnoticed

BTW Lendo does look like Darth Vader but scarier so stay away from him lol

Posted via CB10
    Lendo and moody like this.
    07-31-13 07:45 PM
    Cool accent on your post and agree with all points

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 08:33 PM
    Thanks for the lengthy bit of insight. My huge question for you is what sort of battery life are you receiving now that you have switched to the Q10? You indicated that you would have 20% on Android by 4:00 p.m. if you took it off the charger at 8:00 a.m. What is your general percentage on the Q10 under the same circumstances?
    Unplugged at 8 pm yesterday, its 1345 the next day, still going strong on 33% !

Welcome to the universe of BlackBerry!
    I'm so glad you love the Q10, and your Android phone does sound super neat. You should keep it as a back-up phone in case! And as a random aside, I love your use of "aye" in conversation.
    It's what happens when you work in county Donegal in Ireland ;D Didn't always use it till I started working there, It's not as piratey as it sounds !

Hsianloon,
    You have an interesting way of writing - I enjoyed reading your post. I also appreciate the time and thought you put into it. I hope you continue to participate - Crackberry can use as many people like you as they can get.
    Thanks mate. I think partly it was due to the fact that I came back from work and was ravenous, I was typing it up as I was waiting for my food to be cooked, hence the food analogies
    08-01-13 07:47 AM