I haven't seen this posted on the board yet. I used to select on the 9900 by holding down shift, so I tried it on Q..

Hold it down and tap the screen, OMG it makes screen selection so freaking easy!!!!

So if you lock the shift you can select paragraphs at a time, if you hold it, the phone knows you want to use the selecter. I always found it a problem to tap the screen, and it know I wanted to select something. I always had to keep tapping, or hold until something popped up...

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 08:39 AM
    This is really useful, thanks a lot. It makes the less than perfect text selection much easier to handle.
    06-02-13 08:45 AM
    Lucky Q10 owners.
    06-02-13 08:48 AM
    Lucky Q10 owners.
    Works on the Z10 too. I just tried.
    Winston Loh likes this.
    06-02-13 09:01 AM
    Works on the Z10 too. I just tried.
    Hmmm. Doesn't seem to be working in the CB10 app or the browser. Maybe I'm just a bit thick and missing something.
    06-02-13 09:07 AM
    Hmmm. Doesn't seem to be working in the CB10 app or the browser. Maybe I'm just a bit thick and missing something.
    Well, I think marking text in the CB app never worked, but that seems to be an app thing...correct me if I'm wrong.
    Just tried to copy a txt block from my favourite newspaper's site on the web, and the trick with shift lock worked fine. I think whereever "regular" text selection works, the shift lock trick should work as well..?
    mookieson likes this.
    06-02-13 09:30 AM
    I tried this way back on my factory 238 OS and success rate was spotty (could have been my noob fingers). Now it works quite well.

Also, to more reliably get the copy/paste menu up, PlayBook users will be familiar with being able to tap the arrow. Tapping the teardrop selector on a selection works to bring up the menu on BB10.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    06-02-13 10:08 AM
    Thanks to ofutur over at the text selection and editing needs improvement thread, who made me aware of the fact that there IS NO NEED TO LOCK SHIFT in order to use this feature.

Just press and hold a word. Once it gets marked, continue pressing and holding. Shortly after, the paragraph will get marked. If you further continue pressing & holding, more and more lines and paragraphs will get highlighted. Very useful feature, even easier to use, without shift lock.
    06-02-13 10:13 AM
    Thanks a lot for the tip great.

Posted via CB10
    mookieson likes this.
    06-02-13 10:32 AM
    I'm not noticing any different behaviour when I hold shift. Can anyone describe it better? It seems to behave the same with shift as without.

Posted on my Q10
    06-02-13 12:24 PM
    Thanks to ofutur over at the text selection and editing needs improvement thread, who made me aware of the fact that there IS NO NEED TO LOCK SHIFT in order to use this feature.

Just press and hold a word. Once it gets marked, continue pressing and holding. Shortly after, the paragraph will get marked. If you further continue pressing & holding, more and more lines and paragraphs will get highlighted. Very useful feature, even easier to use, without shift lock.
    We have all known this, but this method does not work well.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 12:44 PM
    I'm not noticing any different behaviour when I hold shift. Can anyone describe it better? It seems to behave the same with shift as without.

Posted on my Q10
    ...well, if you would just take a quick look at the post before the previous one....
    06-02-13 12:46 PM

Posted on my Q10
    Its still flaky, but a better method. If you are trying it in a browser, close and reopen.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 12:47 PM
    Won't work on most apps no text selection does yet. It'll work when replying the threads.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 12:48 PM
    Great discovery - thanks for sharing - two thumbs up !
    06-03-13 12:05 AM

Ohhhh, so this is just the semi-standard long press for text selection which first gives a word, then a sentence, then paragraph, then scrolls downwards. Makes more sense. Shift does not affect this behaviour at all.

Posted on my Q10
    06-03-13 12:21 AM
    You use shift by tapping where you want the selection to start, then tapping the end of the selection while holding shift. This will select a block of text, as long as that text is selectable.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    06-03-13 08:03 AM
    Ahhh that does work in the browser. A bit buggy perhaps, but pretty cool.

Thanks.

Posted on my Q10
    06-03-13 10:03 AM
    Thanks it works

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 01:15 AM
    Its still flaky, but a better method. If you are trying it in a browser, close and reopen.

Posted via CB10
    It should work.....it even works on my torch
    06-04-13 01:24 AM