This was recently posted on a Sprint Community forum by the user "floridabird":

Well behold I was connected to an individual via Sprint Tech Support that was so helpful .....30 min phone call helpful....

I inquired about the 10.2 OS update that all us Blackberry Q10 owners have been screaming about since the end of Feb.

Well he was so helpful he put me on hold and spoke to Software Support Dept for Sprint, it was worth the hold time.

Ok here goes....the delay has been caused by glitches to the OS update ...the delay/glitches for over the air update or via usb to pc to receive the update is why.....Sprint Software Support has had problems with enabling the over the air update due to not enough band-width due to how big the 10.2 update is.

March 8 they are going to first release to the West Coast or East Coast then a "full release" on March 11-13

The rep informed me as well PLEASE TAKE NOTE......with any OS update that has several changes that will change your device there is a 98% chance that the new OS 10.2 update will erase/wipe your phone so be sure to sync contacts, etc prior to installing the update.

I thank you so much to gentleman that was so helpful, patient, and courteous with Sprint Tech Support that helped me.

I hope this helps all the Q10 owners out in the Sprint Community, no need for Sprint Customer Care to post anything on this thread as they have been irrelevant in every reply to questions and to re-direct us to the same non-helpful link newsroom.sprint.com

If someone in Customer Care would do the leg work myself and the tech support guy did you would not have so many ****** off customers!
    djdes10e likes this.
    03-05-14 09:18 AM
    Not enough bandwidth? They handle "unlimited data" but can't send out an ota update that's what, a couple hundred MB?

OTA updates don't cause you to lose data, hasn't for people all over the world that have received them.

I guess we'll see in a couple days if the guy was right. Or if he just wanted you off the phone.

Posted via Q10
    ventz and LLAmos like this.
    03-05-14 12:17 PM
    With any update there is always a risk to loose stuff so you should always back up.

Posted via CB10
    MADBRADNYC and dilham3 like this.
    03-05-14 12:31 PM
    You do realize the os is delivered ota by BlackBerry themselves right. Sprint only has to flip the switch and BlackBerry servers will go live with the update.

You were lied to. Sorry for your naivete.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    world saviour, LLAmos and Omnitech like this.
    03-05-14 12:34 PM
    Yeah, if I could only back up my contacts. POS BBLink will sync only a few at a time (1 way sync to outlook) before "failure to commit changes to device." Contact-x from bbworld only supports 10.2 and up, so can't export them to csv.

Very irritated with the garbage quality of bblink, how clunky it is, and the fact that it DOESN'T f&*king work!!! Sadly, at a time like this, when BB is facing death, they need to do everything and anything to ensure those still with them stay loyal. Instead the software is a mess, and the OS rollout by Sprint (or lack thereof, actually), is enough to drive someone crazy. I have been a bb user since they came out in the 90's. I love bb10. What a great OS.

I need to sync my damn contacts to outlook. That's it. Not asking much for a 2014 cell phone. But apparently it is.

Thanks for posting this though, hopefully there's truth to it.

EDIT: Spent two hours this afternoon trying to sort this out. Just trying to doa one way sync from device to outlook. Finally found out in preferences of BBLink you can "create log." I created a log and read it. The last attempted item was to sync a given phone number. Punched that into q10 to see whose number - deleted that contact and the rest synced. It said something about expecting jpg or something...it was a Facebook produced image. Hopefully this helps someone because it drove me crazy.
    Last edited by paranoidjack; 03-05-14 at 05:49 PM.
    rikenco and nappp like this.
    03-05-14 04:07 PM
    Really, interesting I also spoke to a representative and he said that he will contact me when he heard something. So there's hope he also mentioned that they will be getting the new BlackBerry phones coming out so I have hope!

Posted via CB10
    LLAmos likes this.
    03-05-14 08:28 PM
    Yeah, if I could only back up my contacts. POS BBLink will sync only a few at a time (1 way sync to outlook) before "failure to commit changes to device." Contact-x from bbworld only supports 10.2 and up, so can't export them to csv.

Very irritated with the garbage quality of bblink, how clunky it is, and the fact that it DOESN'T f&*king work!!! Sadly, at a time like this, when BB is facing death, they need to do everything and anything to ensure those still with them stay loyal. Instead the software is a mess, and the OS rollout by Sprint (or lack thereof, actually), is enough to drive someone crazy. I have been a bb user since they came out in the 90's. I love bb10. What a great OS.

I need to sync my damn contacts to outlook. That's it. Not asking much for a 2014 cell phone. But apparently it is.
    I couldn't agree more. I'm the same...BlackBerry user over a decade... but BlackBerry Link is a piece of excrement... and BlackBerry should be shamed into oblivion for not fixing it!!

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    LLAmos likes this.
    03-05-14 08:36 PM
    Well that's something then. I have half of mind to send a link to this thread to twitter @sprintcare. Then see if I get anything back.

Edit, I just did.

Posted with my CB10 using the power of " Q "
    03-05-14 08:37 PM
    This was recently posted on a Sprint Community forum by the user "floridabird":

Well behold I was connected to an individual via Sprint Tech Support that was so helpful .....30 min phone call helpful....

I inquired about the 10.2 OS update that all us Blackberry Q10 owners have been screaming about since the end of Feb.

Well he was so helpful he put me on hold and spoke to Software Support Dept for Sprint, it was worth the hold time.

Ok here goes....the delay has been caused by glitches to the OS update ...the delay/glitches for over the air update or via usb to pc to receive the update is why.....Sprint Software Support has had problems with enabling the over the air update due to not enough band-width due to how big the 10.2 update is.

March 8 they are going to first release to the West Coast or East Coast then a "full release" on March 11-13

The rep informed me as well PLEASE TAKE NOTE......with any OS update that has several changes that will change your device there is a 98% chance that the new OS 10.2 update will erase/wipe your phone so be sure to sync contacts, etc prior to installing the update.

I thank you so much to gentleman that was so helpful, patient, and courteous with Sprint Tech Support that helped me.

I hope this helps all the Q10 owners out in the Sprint Community, no need for Sprint Customer Care to post anything on this thread as they have been irrelevant in every reply to questions and to re-direct us to the same non-helpful link newsroom.sprint.com

If someone in Customer Care would do the leg work myself and the tech support guy did you would not have so many ****** off customers!
    While you think you got really good service, others think this is just plain customer service with BS.

"The rep informed me as well PLEASE TAKE NOTE......with any OS update that has several changes that will change your device there is a 98% chance that the new OS 10.2 update will erase/wipe your phone so be sure to sync contacts, etc prior to installing the update."

LOL. 0.2% maybe, but not 98%. If so, epic fail by any OS vendor. It's a 10.1->10.2.1 update, not a 10.0->11.0 update.
    Jamfox likes this.
    03-05-14 08:40 PM
    Upon sending the link to this thread to @sprintcare, this was the response I received.

If Sprint isn't giving out info, then where do they think users are going to go lol.
    For all Sprint customers waiting on the 10.2.1 update. FINALLY SOME ANSWERS.-img_00000901.png
    For all Sprint customers waiting on the 10.2.1 update. FINALLY SOME ANSWERS.-img_00000902.png

Posted with my CB10 using the power of " Q "
    03-05-14 10:26 PM
    Great job on finally getting detailed information what seems to be a quasi reasonable answer. Of course, all of it could be meaningless if they fail to meet the date mentioned!

I used to think I was good at finding out information like this by "talking" in the right way to the tech support team...but this whole information blackout from both BlackBerry and Sprint is just downright maddening.

Cross your fingers.

Posted from my BB Q10
    03-05-14 11:39 PM
    OTA updates don't cause you to lose data, hasn't for people all over the world that have received them.

Boy are you wrong. EPIC wrong.

YES you can lose things as the result of an OTA update.

It's not SUPPOSED to work that way, but ish happens sometimes.

The last big BB10 debacle in that regard was the 2013 10.1 MR update. LOTS of people lost all of their text messages. One person I communicated with here lost *10,000* of them.

So, no.

Backup, if you are smart.
    03-06-14 02:01 AM

There are a variety of ways to address that.

First of all, you can just do a complete device backup. Unless you absolutely don't care about any other bit of data on the device other than contacts.

Second, there are other apps that are capable of exporting contacts, Contact-X is not the only one.

Third, if you are syncing contacts with an online service, the job's already done.

Fourth, if you are having trouble getting BlackBerry Link to do a device backup (not sync), then try the 3rd-party tool Sachesi. Lots of times it will work when BlackBerry Link will not.

Lastly - BlackBerry Link treats a BB10 device like a network object, so anything that can interfere with network communications can impact its connection. Famously: personal firewall and security utilities. Make sure you allow the the executables and IP addresses in question in your firewall tools. (Link uses the 169.254.X.X range to communicate with devices)

KB35488-Troubleshooting Issues with BlackBerry Link Software On BlackBerry Smartphones

KB27424-Identifying and troubleshooting issues with the BlackBerry Desktop Software or BlackBerry Link detecting a BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone connected via USB

KB34794-BlackBerry Link Internet connectivity

KB26745-BlackBerry Desktop Software or BlackBerry Link displays the message "Update Could Not Be Completed" or "cannot communicate with the connected device" when connecting to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone or BlackBerry PlayBook tablet via USB
    03-06-14 02:21 AM
    POS BBLink will sync only a few at a time (1 way sync to outlook) before "failure to commit changes to device."

If you are not already aware:

KB35456-BlackBerry Link fails to sync contacts to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone with error "Failed to commit changes to device."
    03-06-14 02:39 AM
    Thanks very much, I had seen that thread. However it didn't seem to offer much help? I had deselected calendar and was only trying to use contacts, as can be seen above, after pulling the log from BBLink it turns out that I found a "bad" record that had a facebook photo that was causing the issue. Got rid of that record and BAM all contacts synced.

There are a variety of ways to address that.

First of all, you can just do a complete device backup. Unless you absolutely don't care about any other bit of data on the device other than contacts.

Second, there are other apps that are capable of exporting contacts, Contact-X is not the only one.

Third, if you are syncing contacts with an online service, the job's already done.

Fourth, if you are having trouble getting BlackBerry Link to do a device backup (not sync), then try the 3rd-party tool Sachesi. Lots of times it will work when BlackBerry Link will not.

Lastly - BlackBerry Link treats a BB10 device like a network object, so anything that can interfere with network communications can impact its connection. Famously: personal firewall and security utilities. Make sure you allow the the executables and IP addresses in question in your firewall tools. (Link uses the 169.254.X.X range to communicate with devices)

KB35488-Troubleshooting Issues with BlackBerry Link Software On BlackBerry Smartphones

KB27424-Identifying and troubleshooting issues with the BlackBerry Desktop Software or BlackBerry Link detecting a BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone connected via USB

KB34794-BlackBerry Link Internet connectivity

KB26745-BlackBerry Desktop Software or BlackBerry Link displays the message "Update Could Not Be Completed" or "cannot communicate with the connected device" when connecting to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone or BlackBerry PlayBook tablet via USB
    Thanks for the response Omnitech. Let me address line by line:

1. I did perform a device backup, but having never restored to a bb10 device from a backup, I could only sleep at night knowing my contacts were safe (with all fields) in a csv file.
    2. I took a brief look for some other apps, but this was the method I was going to have to take had I not figured out the issue. Also, many of the apps I found were for legacy OS's or for 10.2. Not much love fo 10.1x
    3. I was autosynching my contacts with google, and that works, however some of the important fields that I captured and required did not make their way to Google. I don't remember all of them but "company" was one of them.
    4. Sachesi! Great...I had downloaded it for the day I was sick of waiting for an official OTA leak from Sprint/BB, but didn't know it could back up contacts. Thought it was just for installing OS's. Another great piece of information. Still BS that we should have to use a third party app to sync backups to MS Outlook though.
    5. Great info on the network object. I am an IT guy and have an IT business, but I didn't realize they were treated as network objects. Though I don't think this was my particular issue because in testing I had disabled them, another great piece of information.

Again, I did find resolution and sucessfully used BBLink to one way my contacts to outlook with all the fields I wanted by running a crash report, opening the crash log SYNC.xml and finding the troublesome record. Deleted that contact and was back in business. Not 100% though - I am still getting a SYNC error but as long as my contacts are in MS outlook I don't care. I am going to wait a week or two and see if Sprint and BB get their act together and get 10.2 to us and cross my fingers a device wipe and fresh install will address the issues I've experienced with BBLink.

Thanks very much for you input, some good advice.

jack
    Last edited by paranoidjack; 03-06-14 at 12:29 PM.
    03-06-14 09:58 AM
    If you read the entire passage you would've noticed that it was not ME who made the call but another spring community member. Sorry for your...illiteracy?

Posted via CB10 on the Q10 - the Pinnacle of Human Achievement
    03-06-14 10:51 PM
    F BB and Sprint. Finally just did the Sachesi way. Wow - lemme know Q10 Sprint - just do it, took an hour and done. Smooth as a baby's ***. I just followed the directions here: Upgrading BB10 OS Using Sachesi for an OTA-like Up... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Don't know why I waited so long. Just do it.
    opteron7, Heavy Fluid and jakie55 like this.
    03-06-14 11:15 PM
    Thanks very much, I had seen that thread.

Did you actually look at the link? It's not a thread, it's an official BlackBerry knowledgebase article.

Doesn't offer a solution but does offer a possible workaround, as I recall.

1. I did perform a device backup, but having never restored to a bb10 device from a backup, I could only sleep at night knowing my contacts were safe (with all fields) in a csv file.
    I don't blame you there, especially because most of the backup/restore granularity has been removed in Link compared to Desktop Manager.

2. I took a brief look for some other apps, but this was the method I was going to have to take had I not figured out the issue. Also, many of the apps I found were for legacy OS's or for 10.2. Not much love fo 10.1x

Here are some apps in my shortlist. I only have personal experience with Contact-X. As far as I know, all are compatible with 10.1:

PhoneCopy - BlackBerry World
    Backup Contacts for BlackBerry 10 - BlackBerry World
    Contact Manager - Backup - Restore - Merge - Delete All your contacts - BlackBerry World
    Contacts Pro - BlackBerry World
    ContactsImEx - BlackBerry World
    DejaHub - BlackBerry World
    IntouchApp Contacts - Backup + Sync + Auto-update - BlackBerry World
    Pink Contacts Manager - BlackBerry World

One developer (rakTheme) has 3 products in that list which look to be minor variants of each other.

4. Sachesi! Great...I had downloaded it for the day I was sick of waiting for an official OTA leak from Sprint/BB, but didn't know it could back up contacts. Thought it was just for installing OS's. Another great piece of information. Still BS that we should have to use a third party app to sync backups to MS Outlook though.

Sachesi basically calls the BlackBerry backup routines, uses the USB drivers Link installs and creates a backup which is almost (but not quite) identical to the backup that BlackBerry Link creates, and compatible with Link's restore feature. It's still not a granular backup (ie "just backup contacts") though I've heard if you select one of the 3 available options (You can choose to backup any combination of Media Files, Settings or Application Data) "Settings", that will include the contacts - and shorten your backup time - but the problem is, you can't JUST restore contacts or any other sub-element, so inevitably you would restore all sorts of things that you probably don't want to restore. It and link are really mostly useful for doing a complete restore of a device, or perhaps doing a backup/restore of media files only.

5. Great info on the network object. I am an IT guy and have an IT business, but I didn't realize they were treated as network objects. Though I don't think this was my particular issue because in testing I had disabled them, another great piece of information.

You and I are in the same field.

Again, I did find resolution and sucessfully used BBLink to one way my contacts to outlook with all the fields I wanted by running a crash report, opening the crash log SYNC.xml and finding the troublesome record. Deleted that contact and was back in business. Not 100% though - I am still getting a SYNC error but as long as my contacts are in MS outlook I don't care.

Thanks very much for you input, some good advice.

jack

Glad you managed to find an OK workaround and I'm happy to share information if it helps someone.
    03-07-14 04:20 AM
    You do realize the os is delivered ota by BlackBerry themselves right. Sprint only has to flip the switch and BlackBerry servers will go live with the update.

You were lied to. Sorry for your naivete.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    ... you know they still have to deal with the bandwidth though right?

Although with the small amount of BB10 devices it shouldn't make much of a difference anyways to them.

Q10
    03-07-14 07:18 AM
    Omni, could you offer insight on one more thing?

I've lost my "hotspot" feature that I pay Sprint for - says my region doesn't allow it, since I'm country code 234 vodafone or whatever. Is there a way to change this setting on the device, or am I out of luck on the hotspot? I use it all the time when onsite with clients who don't have their credentials or have horrible internet.

Thanks!
    03-07-14 01:09 PM
    Contact-x from bbworld only supports 10.2 and up, so can't export them to csv.
    I've been on 10.1 forever and Contact X works just fine for me.
    FireChest Back Up also works just fine for me.
    03-07-14 01:23 PM
    While you think you got really good service, others think this is just plain customer service with BS.

"The rep informed me as well PLEASE TAKE NOTE......with any OS update that has several changes that will change your device there is a 98% chance that the new OS 10.2 update will erase/wipe your phone so be sure to sync contacts, etc prior to installing the update."

LOL. 0.2% maybe, but not 98%. If so, epic fail by any OS vendor.
    I can't buy that ANY update to an OS has that high percentage with erasure of data either.
    What about the millions across the world that have already updated???
    If that was the case, there would be such an uproar that everyone would need earplugs!
    There would also have been 50K threads about it here. Not so.
    It may happen for various reasons, but not at those numbers.

I guess that never crossed the OP's mind when being told such a fib.
    03-07-14 01:30 PM
    tomorrow is the 8th... Crossing fingers and toes...
    03-07-14 01:33 PM
    I've been on 10.1 forever and Contact X works just fine for me.

Sometime in the past few months they updated the app so it's only compatible with 10.2 now.

It doesn't affect devices still on 10.1 that already have it installed because they won't be offered that update. It will affect people that try to install it that have never had it installed before.
    03-07-14 03:25 PM
    Omni, could you offer insight on one more thing?

I've lost my "hotspot" feature that I pay Sprint for - says my region doesn't allow it, since I'm country code 234 vodafone or whatever. Is there a way to change this setting on the device, or am I out of luck on the hotspot? I use it all the time when onsite with clients who don't have their credentials or have horrible internet.

Thanks!

Normally region-specific settings are pushed to the device based on the SIM card that is inserted or which carrier is connected when the device first boots on a newly installed OS.

This may work differently for Sprint and Verizon since the "primary" radio is CDMA (which doesn't use a SIM), not GSM/3GPP.

Many people get BB10 updates not yet pushed by their carrier by just purchasing another carrier's SIM card and inserting it in the device temporarily. That changes the bootup banner image and various other OS customizations, and since updates are linked to the carrier, you will get whatever that carrier's officially-supported update is.

But I don't think that mechanism works on VZW/Sprint due to the CDMA radio being 'primary' as mentioned above.

So in a nutshell, I'm not sure how you would go about changing that.

There is a semi-secret configuration mechanism on Blackberries that might be able to do something with that, I'm not sure. (It's called "escreen", short for "engineering screen", a longtime feature designed to be used by Blackberry staff. If a search for "escreen" on here is not fruitful, I can dig up instructions on it for you if you're feeling boldly experimental. Just bear in mind that you can permanently bork the device with it if you don't know what you're doing. )
    03-07-14 03:30 PM
50 12