What are my options? I am often away from my office and want a way to access files stored on my desktop. My IT company does not want to open the ports necessary to allow one of the remote desktop programs to run because of the security risks that it presents. Are there other options? I am running the official Verizon 10.2 OS and use active sync to sync my work email, contacts, calendar etc

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 06:20 AM
    Have you asked IT? It really depends on how the network is setup and if they allow any remote access into the network.... maybe VPN connection that would work with BB10 (tricky).
    05-07-14 07:41 AM
    I did. They were not helpful. I see that when I select the location to search for files (on by BlackBerry) it offers me 3 options, the device, the memory card or my network desktop. What is that for? Only when in wifi vicinity of the computer? Can I use that? Is there a way to set up a folder on my desktop in which I put the files that I want to access remotely?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 08:11 AM
    Have you tried remote desktop using BlackBerry Link?

I did. They were not helpful. I see that when I select the location to search for files (on by BlackBerry) it offers me 3 options, the device, the memory card or my network desktop. What is that for? Only when in wifi vicinity of the computer? Can I use that? Is there a way to set up a folder on my desktop in which I put the files that I want to access remotely?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 08:15 AM
    BlackBerry link allows you remote access to the files you want, the default setting is for it to share on Wifi only but you can allow remote access over mobile network through BlackBerry link. Link must be running for it to work, and you can select the folders you want to share. I selected my storage drive so I can access documents, music and any movies I have on my pc.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 01:11 PM
    BlackBerry link allows you remote access to the files you want, the default setting is for it to share on Wifi only but you can allow remote access over mobile network through BlackBerry link. Link must be running for it to work, and you can select the folders you want to share. I selected my storage drive so I can access documents, music and any movies I have on my pc.

Posted via CB10
    This.

I use Remote Access via BlackBerry Link all the time. I'm often out and think of something to write in my thesis, so I whip out my Z30, go to the file manager and access my home computer where my thesis is stored. I open it up in Docs to Go and make the changes. Then, when it saves, instead of saving it onto my device it just saves back on my desktop so that when I get home and open it all the changes are there as if I'd done it at home from the get go.

Or, I'm at a buddy's and we want to watch a movie but he has nothing. So, via Torrent Time I command my PC to download a movie. Then using Remote Access and the File Manager I stream the movie to my phone and project to his Smart TV using the Play On feature in the native video player.

Remote Access will serve the purpose you need. There is a Crackberry How-To article on it if you are unsure how to go about setting it up.

Cheers!

And don't forget to check out my Channels!

Short Stories and Similar Submissions C003CC54C

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    05-07-14 01:22 PM