Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to find the hub on three Blackberry's each displaying a message stating the download was successful and to restart the phone to complete installation.

I did not select automatic install, I did not check for new updates on two of the three phones. Why would there be an automatic download and install?

Moreover, after reading the poor reviews, the issues with 10.3, especially for the Q10, I had decided only two days ago NOT to install the update. Now it would seem I am stuck with the update, or wiping the phones and starting again . . . .

Definitely NOT happy. In fact, quickly veering to the incredibly angry, frustrated and disappointed side of the road. This could become the proverbial "straw" after all the issues I have had with the Q10's.
    02-25-15 07:46 PM
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you have a recent back up.
    02-25-15 07:52 PM
    Just happened to me too... its slow as **** on my Q10, what a joke. I hope it improves... although selecting text is much better, but still leaves a lot to be desired. I've gone from the biggest blackberry fan to seriously considering switching, perhaps an iphone + typo, I need a physical keyboard.
    02-25-15 07:55 PM
    "Me three". I need and enjoy the PKB. Can't live without one.

However, I am just mystified how the download/installation of 10.3 could progress to such a point without my "involvement", my actively selecting and agreeing to do an install. Mind boggling!
    02-25-15 08:04 PM
    Auto install became opt-out a few updates ago. Unless you explicitly went and turned it off after your last software update it would have proceeded to install by itself - as happened to you.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 08:13 PM
    Should've gone to settings > software updates > settings > automatic updates > off.
    arnavrs, wincyUt and bbnrs like this.
    02-25-15 08:18 PM
    Before I go and double double check about the auto install, I want to understand what you are saying: that at some point, a few installs back, BB decided to effectively make it a sneaky update process by changing the settings on my phone to force an "auto update". Is that what you are saying?

AND to further clarify, BB did not make any announcement, did not send me a BBM to tell me of a change to the what I consider a very important feature - that is the decision to materially alter MY phone? To be clear, not even APPLE does this.

I just want to clarify as this may result in a thrown phone - something I have not done since the 9900 days...
    02-25-15 08:20 PM
    I think you can set it on your settings.
    02-25-15 08:35 PM
    Technically you would have accepted this change by clicking the download button for the OS release that changed it.

Sure it may infuriate you - you have your ways and are entitled to them. However, there are people out there who:

A) Would like to have the latest software available and this makes it easier for them; or

B) Do not have the knowledge of how to update and this let's them receive the latest OS with its fixes (although 10.3.1 doesn't seem to have include some 'breaks with the 'fixes').

Posted via CB10
    moegh likes this.
    02-25-15 08:36 PM
    Again, thank you.

"Infuriate" does not begin to describe the gamut of emotions at the moment. While I appreciate there may be many more technologically incompetent people than competent, just look at the generations of people who could not locate an air filter on a car engine, I am opposed to simply lowering the bar to the lowest common denominator. Something that is all too often done.

Moreover, such a change WITHOUT notice is one, sneaky, read dishonest, at best. Two, similar to adding a feature to a car that automatically stops at a particular service station or drives to a dealer to have "fix with many breaks" installed without consent. Then you drive back onto the road, want to use the brakes to stop the car and discover you can't . .. The brakes are defective due to the latest "automatic and forced" update.

Oddly enough, have checked the BB's: some have auto enabled, and have yet to update (have changed to none). Others due to the dishonest change in terms of condition have obviously updated. So, now, I have to waste my time to use an autoloaders to return to a trouble free OS....Ah, the epitome of unparalleled customer service.
    02-25-15 09:11 PM
    I too saw the notification of an auto update on my Z30 this evening.

My first thought was, cool. Nice to see that. I certainly didn't have any bad feelings over it.

I guess OP and like minded enjoy the drama and getting wound up over nonsense issues like this.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    02-25-15 09:14 PM
    Since you've already installed the OS, or the OS has installed itself, are you facing any bugs?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:15 PM
    Definitely NOT happy.
    At yourself because you never disabled it?
    Pdinos3, mrfreeze, wincyUt and 2 others like this.
    02-25-15 09:17 PM
    Blaze,

No. As noted above, this was something that was changed without notice from "opt in" to "opt out". Essentially changing the what till then had been the status quo without notice.

As for bugs, yes. Already noticing, low notifications volume (yes important as I work in noisy environments), no tethering, issues with images for contacts, lag on the answer call swipe, etc. And an odd screen flicker.
    02-25-15 09:29 PM
    Blaze,

No. As noted above, this was something that was changed without notice from "opt in" to "opt out". Essentially changing the what till then had been the status quo without notice.

As for bugs, yes. Already noticing, low notifications volume (yes important as I work in noisy environments), no tethering, issues with images for contacts, lag on the answer call swipe, etc. And an odd screen flicker.
    *Bla1ze

Via CB Running  PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    02-25-15 09:36 PM
    OP I understand your position.

For example : I have a perfectly operating Sony Betamax. There is no way anyone will make me upgrade to a VCR. Never....Ever!!!

Considering, the apparent issues you have had with Q's, did you consider upgrading to a Passport?

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    02-25-15 09:41 PM
    Carjackd,

No Passport as one handed use and ease of fitting into suit trouser pockets are absolutes.
    02-25-15 10:05 PM
    Dude! Do a shut down and leave off for a few minutes then restart. You just may be pleasantly surprised.
    02-26-15 01:22 AM
    I posted about turning off auto-update two days before the official release date! Why didn't you head my warning?!
    02-26-15 01:31 AM
    That's funny that you have every bug that's been reported, bugs that affect *different* devices than your Q10.

low notification volume, Q10
    tethering issues, Z10?
    images for contacts... actually that will come back once the system indexes everything
    lag on answer swipe, ???
    flicker, Passports
    02-26-15 01:34 AM
    That's funny that you have every bug that's been reported, bugs that affect *different* devices than your Q10.

low notification volume, Q10
    tethering issues, Z10?
    images for contacts... actually that will come back once the system indexes everything
    lag on answer swipe, ???
    flicker, Passports
    Maybe he was Blitzed. lol
    02-26-15 01:46 AM
    Well, I can only state what I experience.

It might be perhaps better to say "stutter" rather than flicker if that serves to mollify pedantic mindsets. For clarity, I am not receiving any internet signal for the Q10 - and true, I did misspeak. It was not tethered, but the hotspot function.
    02-26-15 03:18 AM
    Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to find the hub on three Blackberry's each displaying a message stating the download was successful and to restart the phone to complete installation.

I did not select automatic install, I did not check for new updates on two of the three phones. Why would there be an automatic download and install?

Moreover, after reading the poor reviews, the issues with 10.3, especially for the Q10, I had decided only two days ago NOT to install the update. Now it would seem I am stuck with the update, or wiping the phones and starting again . . . .

Definitely NOT happy. In fact, quickly veering to the incredibly angry, frustrated and disappointed side of the road. This could become the proverbial "straw" after all the issues I have had with the Q10's.
    Actually the auto software update feature was introduced in 10.2.1 and was in the official release highlights that one saw while accepting the update.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 03:50 AM
    Arnavrs,

Thank you. If that was the case, I obviously missed. My bad.

However, it was the FIRST thing I changed once the long long long reboot completed on the phones.

Another question for those with Q10's as I have not had time to play with my Z's. Is the screen cramped due to the changed UI? I seem to be continually "mis-swyping" that is catching buttons, etc. Never had this issue with the first Q.
    02-26-15 06:54 AM
    Off topic
    But also to note: when using an autoloader to upgrade to 10.3.1, BlackBerry protect becomes automatically enabled

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    02-26-15 07:24 AM
36 12