11-06-15 01:09 PM
33 12
tools
    Except for a couple most seem pretty good - the only odd thing in some is I see a recurring theme that call quality isn't great which I find strange for a BBRY device.
    This is also throwing me off. I can swallow the keyboard lashings, because I get that people aren't really into it/not even willing to give it a chance... but what is up with these recurring poor reception claims? Blackberry usually kills it in that department and especially if I'm going to use it with WIND (our TMobile), a weak antenna is a dealbreaker :/.
    11-06-15 09:05 AM
    DTEK isn't useful right now, but it will be invaluable if Blackberry upgrades to Marshmallow. Then you will have the granular app permissions to stop data leaks.

This article is the biggest issue with the idiotic name chosen by Blackberry. There is no privacy in Android.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Are you saying the release version of BackBerrt Android is already behind the latest version available from the Google Drome? Application permissions at the granular level are essential for privacy.
    11-06-15 09:28 AM
    This is also throwing me off. I can swallow the keyboard lashings, because I get that people aren't really into it/not even willing to give it a chance... but what is up with these recurring poor reception claims? Blackberry usually kills it in that department and especially if I'm going to use it with WIND (our TMobile), a weak antenna is a dealbreaker :/.
    BB10 devices have been very good RF performers. I have a "torture test" of sorts for RF, and they all do well. The Z-30, amusingly, does better than my Passport, but only marginally so.

However, the older BlackBerry (BB7) devices were very ​hit or miss, with some of them being utterly terrible. So the bias, if they never looked at BB10, is quite-clear in that regard.
    11-06-15 09:32 AM
    Interesting to see how they do that - marshmallow says there can only be one interface to control app permissions - so they will have to kill the stock controls to do that.
    DTEK won't be the app to control permissions. You'll be able to use DTEK to identify issues and then use native 6.0 controls to fix them.

Are you saying the release version of BackBerrt Android is already behind the latest version available from the Google Drome? Application permissions at the granular level are essential for privacy.
    Yes, Blackberry is behind the latest version of Android with no confirmation of when they will update. With the focus on privacy, I'm stunned that this wasn't released with Marshmallow which has more user controls for security.

cgk likes this.
    11-06-15 10:24 AM

Everything else he wrotes is perfectly okay, though he could've mentioned that app permission controls can be expected with future OS upgrades.
    I thought Privacy guard was in all versions of Android past 4.4.2? If an app wants access of my location, for instance, and I don't want it, all I have to do is click "disable"

Or is that not sufficient?
    11-06-15 10:51 AM
    Why couldn't BlackBerry include permission control on lollipop the way blackphone 2 did it?

Blackphone's way is also more powerful than android M's control.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 10:53 AM
    I read this article...the flaw in his logic is the permissions inherently given to the apps via FB's or Twitter's terms of service, which you click "I agree" before using. You cannot voluntarily allow access to all your personal data from these social media data-miners and then blame the phone for not protecting your privacy. Google and Yahoo scan every Email you send through their servers, and they proudly state that that data now belongs to them. Having a PRIV won't change that.
    11-06-15 10:56 AM
    DTEK won't be the app to control permissions. You'll be able to use DTEK to identify issues and then use native 6.0 controls to fix them.

Yes, Blackberry is behind the latest version of Android with no confirmation of when they will update. With the focus on privacy, I'm stunned that this wasn't released with Marshmallow which has more user controls for security.

Thans for the feedback about DTEK. I am in the process of configuring DTEK on my BlackBerry Priv so I will better know the level of device and application privacy/security.

Yes, I upgraded by device over the noon hour. I was able to keep my current voice+data plan although I had to pay a bit more than CAD399.99 on a 2-year contract, Yet over the two years it is cheaper than a new data plan plus CAD399.99 for the upgrade. The physical keyboard takes a bit of getting used to after coming from a BlackBerry Q5 but it is great having the full keyboard available. The screen provides excellent resolution including for videos. Dare I say the screen resolution revivals the 4-year old BlackBerry PlayBook which is to say it looks fantastic. Hey it is my birthday today so I treated myself.
    11-06-15 01:09 PM
33 12