BlackBerry Priv has a big flaw: It's a privacy flop | ZDNet

They say iPhones have device encryption but they don't say Priv has it

Too much negativity hurting BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    11-06-15 05:30 AM
    If you're going to do anything with GOogle, you are going to lose some sense of privacy, right? If it bothers users, then the Priv won't be selling well.
    11-06-15 05:35 AM
    Let's be really clear what this review is before we go down the 'paid basher' route nonsense, this guy is their security reporter - he's reviewing it from that perspective and the basis that it protects your privacy - as an actual phone, he likes it:

This is a good phone for Android users, and it's a great phone for BlackBerry loyalists. It's a smart, usable, accessible and customizable device with a hardware keyboard that all too many people have missed over the years.
    His point there is that in terms of 'privacy' (note privacy not security) - it really does very little - and he explains why.
    11-06-15 05:39 AM
    Let's be really clear what this review is before we go down the 'paid basher' route nonsense, this guy is their security reporter - he's reviewing it from that perspective and the basis that it protects your privacy - as an actual phone, he likes it:

His point there is that in terms of 'privacy' (note privacy not security) - it really does very little - and he explains why.
    Which backs my point about BlackBerry is wrong in going such direction. Should have focused more on the productivity aspect rather than security in designing and marketing the Priv.
    11-06-15 05:56 AM
    This is exactly why I might not be getting the priv

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 05:58 AM
    BlackBerry Priv has a big flaw: It's a privacy flop | ZDNet

They say iPhones have device encryption but they don't say Priv has it

Too much negativity hurting BlackBerry

Posted via CB10

First thing the Priv does is encrypt the phone. Device encryption is on by default. From what I read.

Posted via CB10
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    11-06-15 06:03 AM
    Oh, he should have got his article reviewed by the editors before release.

You read in his article "Another example: iPhones have become increasingly privacy-centric and security focused by adding device encryption, among other things."

versus BlackBerry blog's

"FIPS 140-2 compliant full disk encryption on by default to protect your privacy."

And the app is spelled "DTEK" and not "DTEC", for whatever reason:
    Protect Your Privacy with DTEK by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry

Everything else he wrotes is perfectly okay, though he could've mentioned that app permission controls can be expected with future OS upgrades.
    11-06-15 06:10 AM
    A reviewer should use the product some days and understand their full core functions. Did he actually explored the dtek app? If it had no encryption function it wasn't a blackberry in the first place.

What a ******!

Posted via CB10
    smart548 likes this.
    11-06-15 06:30 AM
    If the Priv is a Privacy Flop, then what does that make all the other Android phones; Privacy Super-Flops?

At least BB is taking Android in the right direction. And app permission will be controllable in future updates, no? Until that happens, we have to remember that Android users don't give a f**k about privacy. If they did, they wouldn't be using Android. This means that 3/4 of all smart-phone users, don't care about the authors privacy comment. A comment which will soon be irrelevant anyway.

Also, the author "forgot" to mention that iPhone has back-doors which allow spying on you. What's the point of encryption if there is a way to bypass that? What a convenient omission.

Anyway, given the positive review of the Priv by Bla1ze, and the overwhelmingly positive review on Android Central, any site that manages to trash the Priv is just trolling. Let's face it, are we expecting sites that are "sponsored" (as another user here has put it so eloquently) by apple to write something good about the Priv? Anything coming from the Apple side will be dishonest journalism.

Basically, if we make a list of all the sites that manage to make the Priv look bad, then we have a list of all the sell-outs.

My suggest is this: If you see a negative headline for the Priv, don't click the link. By increasing their web traffic, you are indirectly increasing their revenue.
    11-06-15 07:29 AM
    The thing is most people with Apple and Android phones don't really take security as serious as BlackBerry folks. So they may not care as much, for as long as they get apps thats what most people care.
    11-06-15 07:36 AM
    The only reviews I will respect will be from the professionals that are objective from companies like IDC, Forrester, Gartner.
    Do you think a CIO buys software or hardware based on a magazine, blog review? No and nor should any of you. Go test it yourself and talk to others that have it.
    Apple fan boys, Android fan boys and BlackBerry fan boys. If you are a writer and use a certain phone you will always justify why you chose that phone in your articles. These guys are amateurs and would never be a professional analyst at one of the companies listed above.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-06-15 07:36 AM
    Go to Gizmodo, and you will see... xD they basically hate Blackberry, because if you put those specs with a different Brand on it they would be more than happy ��
    11-06-15 07:41 AM
    Go to Gizmodo, and you will see... xD they basically hate Blackberry, because if you put those specs with a different Brand on it they would be more than happy ��
    They didn't even bother reading the specs...
    11-06-15 07:46 AM
    They didn't even bother reading the specs...
    They didnt, and thats really sad, for them of course.
    11-06-15 07:52 AM
    Price can be lowered..... and I wouldn't be surprised to see a price drop for BlackFriday, that ends up sticking.

Overall I think the reviews are pretty good, and some of the minor negative comments might could be fixed in software patches. But the basic hardware, is sound and gets the job done. The few that did some benchmarks did show that the PRIV isn't as top end as the price indicates. But again, price can change....
    11-06-15 07:59 AM
    The only reviews I will respect will be from the professionals that are objective from companies like IDC, Forrester, Gartner.
    Do you think a CIO buys software or hardware based on a magazine, blog review? No and nor should any of you. Go test it yourself and talk to others that have it.
    Apple fan boys, Android fan boys and BlackBerry fan boys. If you are a writer and use a certain phone you will always justify why you chose that phone in your articles. These guys are amateurs and would never be a professional analyst at one of the companies listed above.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    Gartner who predicted that by 2015, WP would have a significant market share and would have overtaken the iPhone? That one?
    11-06-15 08:35 AM
    Including DTEK was a poor choice. It is a really dumb app and privacy reviewers will have a field day making fun of the Priv because of it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-06-15 08:40 AM
    Gartner who predicted that by 2015, WP would have a significant market share and would have overtaken the iPhone? That one?
    Yeah I don't know... but do any of the professionals he listed, do hardware reviews? I taught they were market research firms looking at marketshare and trends.

So I wonder who he does consider a "professional analyst or reviewer"?

I've read about 20 reviews this morning... by general feeling is that the PRIV is a very good device with mostly positive reviews. It isn't a WOW type device (unless you are a keyboard fan - and only a few reviewers were), but it's solid and definitely flagship quality.

But most ALL have questioned the price point.....
    11-06-15 08:45 AM
    Except for a couple most seem pretty good - the only odd thing in some is I see a recurring theme that call quality isn't great which I find strange for a BBRY device.
    11-06-15 08:50 AM
    Including DTEK was a poor choice. It is a really dumb app and privacy reviewers will have a field day making fun of the Priv because of it.
    DTEK isn't useful right now, but it will be invaluable if Blackberry upgrades to Marshmallow. Then you will have the granular app permissions to stop data leaks.

This article is the biggest issue with the idiotic name chosen by Blackberry. There is no privacy in Android.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    PHughes and jsmith00075 like this.
    11-06-15 08:51 AM
    DTEK isn't useful right now, but it will be invaluable if Blackberry upgrades to Marshmallow. Then you will have the granular app permissions to stop data leaks.

This article is the biggest issue with the idiotic name chosen by Blackberry. There is no privacy in Android.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Interesting to see how they do that - marshmallow says there can only be one interface to control app permissions - so they will have to kill the stock controls to do that.
    11-06-15 08:53 AM
    Except for a couple most seem pretty good - the only odd thing in some is I see a recurring theme that call quality isn't great which I find strange for a BBRY device.
    Well Engadget said the z30 had bad call quality which is just wrong so I wouldn't worry about it

Z30 (10.3.1)
    11-06-15 08:55 AM
    First thing the Priv does is encrypt the phone. Device encryption is on by default. From what I read.

Posted via CB10
    These articles are gonna keep pouring out. I don't think he flat out grts it
    11-06-15 08:55 AM

BlackBerry Priv!!
    The problem is that the average Joe shome reads these articles and moves on to another device.
    11-06-15 08:57 AM
    Unfortunately for cracberry I usually stay off the forum's once a device is launched. All the negativity can stop me from enjoying my device. Overall things are more positive than usual
    11-06-15 09:00 AM
33 12